God Bless Denton's Denia Residents

UNTLifer

This time over the use of Denia Park and the $40,000 upgrade to its softball fields for the Lady Eagles to use for basically one year. It's amazing to me that this woman can't see the benefit to the park of the upgrades, and a quick survey of the 2004 softball schedule will show very few games being played in Denton next year. I am sure the 100,000 seat softball venue will increase traffic, but will it really make the streets unsafe for the residents of Denton? Maybe Denia should succeed from the Denton Union and become a city of their own! laugh.gif

Letters to the editor

06/10/2003

One more invasion

I was so disappointed to see Tuesday’s article on the front page regarding the University of North Texas bringing NCAA action to Denia Park.

Denia is a small park where the city has put softball fields, soccer practice fields and a 300-plus space parking lot with little concern for the families living near the park.

The Denia area is one of the few in Denton with so little in the way of usable space for neighborhood residents. There are over 700 people who share a sliver of land not covered by these athletic fields and parking spaces.

Our streets are neighborhood streets that will be made unsafe with the increase in traffic. We don’t like public address systems, crowd noise, light pollution, increased traffic and trash any more than the rest of Denton. No contact was made with any residents living near the ballpark or with the Denia Area Neighborhood Group by parks and recreation officials.

If money is so tight at UNT, why lay out $40,000 for a one-year use at Denia? Upgrade the fields at Liberty Christian — you already own that space. After the recent Golf Course War, this seems like another invasion.

Alice Gore,

Denton

"If money is so tight at UNT, why lay out $40,000 for a one-year use at Denia? Upgrade the fields at Liberty Christian — you already own that space. After the recent Golf Course War, this seems like another invasion."

If this lady had a clue about UNT's plans she would know that UNT does not take over the LC property and fields until next summer (2004). The UNT softball team needs a field for the upcoming fall and spring seasons.

I think calling the Denia hissy fit the "Golf Course War" is terrible...

Showing complete and selfish over-importance for their neighborhood ( not to mention showing little sensitivity for current events). Comparing anything to war is stupid -- unless, well, it is war. That day will come I see Denia residents out there losing their lives to stop the invasion of the UNT infidels.

Damn these people.