Arkansas State

northtexassigep

We play ASU this Saturday in case anyone forgot. It is wednesday afternoon and evertime i come to this site to catch up on the latest injury updates or to see what ya'll think needs to happen to give our Mean Green the best chance to win I see the latest topics still talking about irrelevant stuff. Lets talk some football! We need to continue our passing game to give Dunbar a chance to produce. Our D needs to keep doing what its doing and if we execute we could win out and go bowling. Its a great time to be a Mean Green fan! GMG

• Upvote 4

Confidence will be a huge bonus for us after last week, but it's going to have to be a flawless performance. We can do it, but it's going to take the game of a lifetime from several individuals.

You do realize we're playing Arkansas STATE, not Arkansas?

They only beat ULM by 8 or something like that. Sure, we'll have to play a good game, but it won't have to be perfect.

• Upvote 1

It will be interesting if we see the consistency in the play calls as in last. To win the game we are going to have to open up space for dunbar like stated above. This game is very winnable and I would love to see back to back wins. When was the last time we saw that?

For defense the key will be frustrating and containing their QB. Aplin has an accurate arm and can also scramble really well. We'll have to eliminate/limit his passing options to frustrate him and then contain him when he tries to scramble.

For offense the key is to build on the accurate passing game that we establishes last week to keep their defense out of the box and open up opportunities to make plays across the entire field.

It's doable, but it will be tough. I hope our team has developed the maturity and confidence to get their first road win this weekend!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!

I second that this is a winnable game. If anyone thinks we haven't improved tremendously then you are just not watching.

Look at our loses

1.) FIU- a brand new team assembled...new coach....on the road against the SBC champs with two VERY healthy and very effective players in TY Hilton and Wesley Carroll. They stack the box against Dunbar while we have serious issues figuring out just who we can pass to. We hadn't established much of a rush defense at this point either...resulting in 4 tds. After watching their game against Troy the other day I would love to see us play them at the end of the year with a consistently injured TY and an FIU team that had their confidence shaken by ULL, Duke and now Ark St.

2.) Houston- a competitive game by UNT in the first half......but Houston adjusted and blew it wide open in the 3rd with no chance of UNT stopping the bleeding. 3rd Quarter TDs were 46 yards, 32 yards and a long drive that resulted in a 19 yard TD. Our passing defense just couldn't keep up with a Heisman candidate QB and his VERY capable receiving corps. Our offense wasn't established yet as well and a fumble in the 1st quarter at our 35 yard line certainly helped Houston take the lead. We also suffered some stupid penalties in this game as well. An over-reliance on LD this game made it easy for Houston to know what we were going to do.

3.) Bama- is Bama.......nuff said. I think we can all agree that the score should have been 44-10 however.

4.) Tulsa- coming off of a win against Big Ten Indiana.....however without our starting QB and we decided to use our Freshman with very little experience. I can only look at this game as if it were a learning exp for the entire team but especially McNulty and Osborne.

5.) ULL- Failed to put 7 on the board when ULL fumbled their first drive. While passing and QB keepers put us very close to the goal.... LD's rushing attempts could not give us the 1st down to keep it going. The worst offensive game we have played against a comparable opponent. Two very important ULL TDs came from absolute blown coverages. We have Royce Hill who is the leading DB in the Sunbelt but ULL has 3 top 10 DBs at this point in time.

I see no reason why we cannot beat Ark State. Not that it will not be a challenge but this team has legitimately gotten better every game.

*Might I add that WKU lost to Ark St. with 42 seconds left. Does anyone think we are not as good as WKU? Western had 2 turnovers and 11 penalties as well.

I see where we are a 17 point underdog to Arky State. This will be our toughest conference game and in order to have a chance to win, we will have to create some turnovers and have luck on our side. GMG

If only we had some magical fan sitting on the 50 behind the ASU bench to cuss at them, call them every name in the book, and get them so mad they couldn't concentrate...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

You do realize we're playing Arkansas STATE, not Arkansas?

They only beat ULM by 8 or something like that. Sure, we'll have to play a good game, but it won't have to be perfect.

I'm pretty sure every Belt team was saying that about us after we won game after game 2001-2004.

You gotta give'm credit when it is due: they're getting the job done, and that's a notable edge.

**I do note that this is just halfway through one season for them; just trying to add some perspective.

Hey Mean Greeners,

Red Wolves fan here. Just wanted to stop by and wish y'all luck on Saturday. You are coming into a very hostile environment against a greatly improved ASU Football team who's D has not allowed ANYONE to rush for more than 100 ypg. We have some very rabid fans and I can guarantee you that your sideline will be continually pelted with all kinds of comments during the game. I have read on here that y'all like to intimidate visiting teams from the stands...just know that we will do the same to you. B)

Anyway, I know y'all are having some success this year...glad to see that. Seems like the Sun Belt has been turned over this year and it is nice to see that the top 3-4 teams are ones that have struggled over the past few years. It's nice to have a coach that can get the team going in the right direction. :rock: I know this game is a big one for y'all...it is HUGE for us as we are looking for bowl eligibility this weekend. It is going to be a hard fought game that could honestly go either way. It is going to come down to who executes better and avoids more mistakes. We will have the home crowd advantage and we don't typically let anyone come into our house and push us around. I do hope y'all are bringing a big crowd with you and if any of you have any questions about the Jonesboro area feel free to ask me. I will check in over the next couple of days.

Good luck to y'all, hope you do well the rest of the season (with the exception of this Saturday :P ). May the best team win!

Sincerely,

RedWolfRunning

Hey Mean Greeners,

Red Wolves fan here. Just wanted to stop by and wish y'all luck on Saturday. You are coming into a very hostile environment against a greatly improved ASU Football team who's D has not allowed ANYONE to rush for more than 100 ypg. We have some very rabid fans and I can guarantee you that your sideline will be continually pelted with all kinds of comments during the game. I have read on here that y'all like to intimidate visiting teams from the stands...just know that we will do the same to you. B)

Anyway, I know y'all are having some success this year...glad to see that. Seems like the Sun Belt has been turned over this year and it is nice to see that the top 3-4 teams are ones that have struggled over the past few years. It's nice to have a coach that can get the team going in the right direction. :rock: I know this game is a big one for y'all...it is HUGE for us as we are looking for bowl eligibility this weekend. It is going to be a hard fought game that could honestly go either way. It is going to come down to who executes better and avoids more mistakes. We will have the home crowd advantage and we don't typically let anyone come into our house and push us around. I do hope y'all are bringing a big crowd with you and if any of you have any questions about the Jonesboro area feel free to ask me. I will check in over the next couple of days.

Good luck to y'all, hope you do well the rest of the season (with the exception of this Saturday :P ). May the best team win!

Sincerely,

RedWolfRunning

Thanks for sharing with us RedWolfRunning. It will be a significant game for both teams. The Mean Green is trying to get that road win that can propel them to bowl eligibility with another couple of home wins, and you guys, like LaLa when we played them are looking for the magic number 6. The Mean Green has seen improvement every week (well, except for the total step back against Tulsa and the offensive letdown against LaLa),so a Mean Green win at Arky State is certainly a possibility. Look for the Mean green to try to get Dunbar some space within which to run and look for our QB, Derrick Thompson to play with renewed confidence after pretty much a break-out game against Monore last week at home.

The D is looking good and we may have hard hitting linebacker Jeremy Phipps back from injury this week. Look for some pressure on your QB as our D-line has really been gearing it up a notch or two each week. Sorry i won't be in Jonesboro for all the fun this weekend, but let's look forward to a great game and an injury free game for both sides.

GO MEAN GREEN!

As a tangent, how about the parity in the Belt this year? It's like the Republican Presidential primary...a team to beat emerges for couple of weeks, then is displaced by another team to beat.

100% agree with Harry; after watching Ark State's last two games (by the time the season is over, I will have had one month subscriptions to every one of our away game Sun Belt competitors' streaming services), our D is going to have to play another aggressive game for us to have a shot at upsetting Ark State.

It can be done, and I've got to think that they're riding an emotional high after beating the Hawks like they did.