North Texas Chant

Rudy

Well, ours used to be. Just because everyone else does it (I am not convinced they do) doesn't mean we should. Show you are educated and use a vocabulary of more than a handful of four letter words.

Does being family friendly put you on the level of being one of the toughest places in football to play at? NO! I've been to Ohio State games. All of which have furious cursing and are brutal and INCREDIBLE atmosphere. I'm not going to get into this, call it trashy, call it classless, all I know is Nice Guys Finish Last. Ohio State=rings UT=rings. Fan base curses up a storm at the games and is pretty much violent. This is my point. I'll keep cursing up a storm and leading the student section in chants with cursing in them.

I would be unbelievably pissed off if UNT games were quiet and "family friendly". Why don't we just golf clap? It'd be the same difference.

Edited by rjmunthe
  • Downvote 4

I am former undergrad and current grad student at UNT. I usually sit on the student side, but decided I would sit on the home side for the second half of the ULM game. I have to say I really enjoyed sitting on the home side. Great view of the game, band, and students, plus the sun wasn't beaming on my face. However, I did miss being in the midst of loud chants and great enthusiasm that I get with the student side. Though I loved my experience on the home side, its very family friendly and I don't get the kind of laughs that I get on the student side. For instance, during the Indiana game, I would yell "Go back to Canada Indiana!" Most people thought it was funny because it was obviously ridiculous and had nothing to do with the game or logic. I really can't imagine doing that on the home side without getting blank stares from grandma and little Timmy. Either way, I enjoyed my time on the home side, but think that they need to be more involved in the game. If we could get those full stadium NORTH TEXAS chants, it would be a start.

• Upvote 1

Does being family friendly put you on the level of being one of the toughest places in football to play at? NO! I've been to UT and Ohio State games. All of which have furious cursing and are brutal and INCREDIBLE atmosphere. I'm not going to get into this, call it trashy, call it classless, all I know is Nice Guys Finish Last. Ohio State=rings UT=rings. Fan base curses up a storm at the games and is pretty much violent. This is my point. I'll keep cursing up a storm and leading the student section in chants with cursing in them.

I would be unbelievably pissed off if UNT games were quiet and "family friendly". Why don't we just golf clap? It'd be the same difference.

I don't think anyone is saying there shouldn't be cussing in the stadium, but that you shouldn't expect the alumni side to participate in a chant saying "mf'er".

Does being family friendly put you on the level of being one of the toughest places in football to play at? NO! I've been to UT and Ohio State games. All of which have furious cursing and are brutal and INCREDIBLE atmosphere. I'm not going to get into this, call it trashy, call it classless, all I know is Nice Guys Finish Last. Ohio State=rings UT=rings. Fan base curses up a storm at the games and is pretty much violent. This is my point. I'll keep cursing up a storm and leading the student section in chants with cursing in them.

UT is famous for being one of the worst home field advantages in the BCS.They're quiet, come late, and leave early. They're routinely called out on TV broadcasts for being silent and disinterested.

Nebraska, meanwhile, is routinely considered one of the best home field advantages in the BCS. They're polite, cheer the other team on and off the field, and make visitors feel at home. They also love and cheer like crazy for their Huskers. Let's be tiny Nebraska, because they're better humans.

• Upvote 7

I don't think anyone is saying there shouldn't be cussing in the stadium, but that you shouldn't expect the alumni side to participate in a chant saying "motherfucker".

Exactly.

The students can say/do what they want... I don't like that they're doing that, but it is what it is. I know my words on a message board will never mean anything to them.

That's why I pay money to sit on the alumni side. Now, if this "MF'ing" addition were to ever catch on over on my side of the field, I will certainly discontinue my tickets/MGC membership (and I don't think I've ever made that threat before) without thinking twice.

"You let the whole team down"...? I've still never heard this chant yet. So you guys may want to pick it up a little. Actually, I've never heard the "MF'ing" addition at the football games either, so it must not really be catching on over there either. The only time I've ever heard it was during b-ball games, and I just shook my head.

Oh, and as far as the North...Texas chant? It seems like the student section is more than happy to do this with themselves, split down the 50? Maybe because the alumni side have never really been prompted to start it... at least, not where I sit. If I had a chance to partake, I certainly would.

Sigh. Nebraska manages to be a polite fan base and still a tough place to play. You can be loud and intimidating without having to limit yourself to using language that would make a sailor blush. Try using large words that have the same meaning. Our friends at ULM would have been so confused, we may have won by more.

Look, the language is going to be there, but let's not try to get as many people to scream obscenities in unison as possible. Someday, we may get on TV and people may actually watch. What would everyone think of our university when they hear that?

Edited by forevereagle
  • Upvote 1

None of us parents expect you to understand how we cringe when F-bombs or other curse words are yelled out, you are in college with no kids. We were once in college with no kids and heard the same things.

The student section is awesome with it's intensity and energy. It just does not benefit anyone to ruin the fight song with curse words. Be as loud as you want and that is certainly encouraged...just please represent your University in a positive manner.

• Upvote 5

And if buffoonery won games Texas Tech would have 20 National Championships.

None of us parents expect you to understand how we cringe when F-bombs or other curse words are yelled out, you are in college with no kids. We were once in college with no kids and heard the same things.

The student section is awesome with it's intensity and energy. It just does not benefit anyone to ruin the fight song with curse words. Be as loud as you want and that is certainly encouraged...just please represent your University in a positive manner.

Of course everyone tends to think Ohio State is a trashy, horrible fan base; and the Aggies. I could care less what Nebraska does, Nebraska fans suck. Look, you're gonna have to accept it, if we get big, the fans at a crowd aren't going to be polite, good-mannered fans.

I was taken to a Browns game when I was 7, and I'm sorry, sheltering your kids from what's out there is just dumb. I'm not going to get into a parenting discussion, but I was brought up where cursing was taught that it wasn't something you'd every time because it's trashy, but was brought up around and it and accept it. I'll curse up a storm all I want at UNT games.

Say what you want, I've been to Ohio State and Cleveland Browns games; two of the best football atmospheres, and there was plenty of cursing. I'd love to replicate that atmosphere here.

Buffoonery won Tech plenty of fans, which at this point, is all I want.

Edited by rjmunthe
  • Downvote 3

I love heckling the opposing team and using colorful language, but I hate the m'fing eagles thing. I never do it, but it has gotten louder this year. To me it's insulting your own school and needs to stop.

The student section should be a rowdy and dirty place, but let's not deface our fight song...please.

• Upvote 5

Of course everyone tends to think Ohio State is a trashy, horrible fan base; and the Aggies. I could care less what Nebraska does, Nebraska fans suck. Look, you're gonna have to accept it, if we get big, the fans at a crowd aren't going to be polite, good-mannered fans.

I was taken to a Browns game when I was 7, and I'm sorry, sheltering your kids from what's out there is just dumb. I'm not going to get into a parenting discussion, but I was brought up where cursing was taught that it wasn't something you'd every time because it's trashy, but was brought up around and it and accept it. I'll curse up a storm all I want at UNT games.

Say what you want, I've been to Ohio State and Cleveland Browns games; two of the best football atmospheres, and there was plenty of cursing. I'd love to replicate that atmosphere here.

People think Ohio State is a horrible fan base? Never heard that. And the Aggies?!? Really?? Aren't they generally all chanty/polite/Jesus-y/military? Not exactly the Aggie reputation to be f-bomby trash (every fan base has its garbage, of course).

Nebraska fans suck? By what metric, exactly? Literally taking 2 seconds to find articles, this comes up: http://coedmagazine.com/2011/10/06/best-college-football-fans-list-poll/#photo=20 - which names Nebraska the single best fan base in college football - as do many (most?) writers and publications.

You know the last time Nebraska didn't sell out a game? 1962. Kennedy was president. They're better than any fan base you mentioned times ten.

Bottom line: In life, being a good human, polite to others, and representing yourself in a way that would make your university and your parents proud usually wins out over being a foulmouthed, low-IQ, prick.... but maybe that's just me.

a fan base full of giant, knuckle-dragging giant d-heads doesn't guarantee success. Just ask Gerry DiNardo or Randy Shannon.

• Upvote 2

ive never had a problem with cursing at an opponent during a game...i did it in the pit crew for the last 3 years as the so called "leader of the pit crew by someone in the athletic department" and at football games at fouts as much as i could...but i never did and never wanted MFer in the fight song. while i have no problem trashing on our opponent, i have all the problem in the world cursing in our fight song. The fight song is a repersentation of our university that should never be disgrased like that. i accually cringe everytime i hear it. please show a little more class while singing the fight song and save all the mfers for the opponent

Edited by bstnsportsfan3
  • Upvote 1

I yell and scream as much as the next fan. Curse words might leave spew from my mouth subconsciously and sporadically... But to claim that you can't create an intimidating environment, or that nonstop cursing makes an environment any more intimidating is just stupid. An intimidating environment needs to be loud not vulgar.

• Upvote 2

My wife and I cuss in front of our daughter, it's probably not the right choice, but that's how we decided to roll. That being said I try not to cuss around other people's children out of respect of the kids and their parents.

Where I agree with you is that people shouldn't be disappointed or confused when they bring their kids to a sporting event and a drunk man/man is cussing. People should expect this, but there is a line that can be crossed when it becomes excessive or too vulgar.

I want to heckle this thread.

For what it is worth: I am/was part of the university and a fan. I don't mind if you use a naughty word. I sit with the students when I can because every once in a while I like to toss out an "Fudge" or a "Ship".

If you want to curse, do it with the 20-somethings who are drunk and horny and in full body paint. I usually try not to tell people how to cheer, but if you want to do the "North --- Texas" thing, then just start doing it. Doesn't take a committee or anything. The a-hole starting the wave doesn't speak to anyone about when and where to get it going --though I wish he would talk to me so I could kick him in the nads.

That said there will always be people who have markedly different ideas of the ideal stadium environment. On the UTSA board, there was an old guy complaining that we were booing the opposing team as they entered. .

Also, I yelled "F*&$ yeah!" every time Lance Dunbar scored a touchdown last, and this year.

• Upvote 1

Not sure who you are RJ, but it's becoming very clear to me that you're immature and lack knowledge about football. Having been to Nebraska, I can say that they are by far the nicest people in college football. They're regarded nation-wide as having the best, most-knowledgeable fans in college football. When I was there, I didn't hear a single curse word. And yes, Nebraska is a tough place to play considering they had a home win streak that lasted 8 years. Show some class. Yelling cuss-words at the opposition is not going to have any more effect on the opponent than just yelling normally. It just makes you look like a douchebag. And really you're using Texas as your example? They got routed by freaking UCLA last year. They have the worst, most bandwagon fan base in college football. They're a joke. If you're taking fan lessons from the douchebags down in Austin, you need to look elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

Not sure who you are RJ, but it's becoming very clear to me that you're immature and lack knowledge about football. Having been to Nebraska, I can say that they are by far the nicest people in college football. They're regarded nation-wide as having the best, most-knowledgeable fans in college football. When I was there, I didn't hear a single curse word. And yes, Nebraska is a tough place to play considering they had a home win streak that lasted 8 years. Show some class. Yelling cuss-words at the opposition is not going to have any more effect on the opponent than just yelling normally. It just makes you look like a douchebag. And really you're using Texas as your example? They got routed by freaking UCLA last year. They have the worst, most bandwagon fan base in college football. They're a joke. If you're taking fan lessons from the douchebags down in Austin, you need to look elsewhere.

Truth.

Three Things That Need to Stop Right Now

1. Injecting "MF" into the fight song: Anyone who has met me in real life knows that my use of curse words can reasonably be describe as both excessive and inventive. However, there is a time and place for everything. The fight song for your school isn't one of them. Unless your alma mater is an Arkansas truck driving school. Lets try and keep it classy.
  2. Chanting "B*** S***" at the refs: First, see my comments above. Second, angering people whose subjective calls can make the difference between happily drinking in the parking lot and sadly, mopingly drinking in the parking lot is not a good idea.
  3. Guys wearing capri pants: Seriously, what is wrong with you.

Three Things That Should Continue Forever

1. Heckling the opposing team: This is where your vitriol should be unleashed. Make noise when they are on offense, make fun of their haircuts, names, and imagined ugly girl friends when they are on the bench. Note: If they actually have an ugly girl friend, then making fun of them is just considered unnecessary roughness. Taunt wisely.
  2. Coming inside the stadium: Yes, there is beer outside, it will wait for you.
  3. Diora Baird: Nothing to do with Mean Green football, but my feelings on this are strong.
Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 3

ve to replicate that atmosphere here.

And likely costs them at least twice as many. They are the most laughed-at and disrespected fan base in their conference, even moreso than A&M.

Let me guess....you like Philly Eagles fans too.

When the "U-N-T-Mother F-in'-Eagles!" first started with the Pit Crew and basketball band, I thought it was great. At first it was a hushed, under your breath "MFing", something that kinda make you giggle and shake your head a bit and think "That's exactly what I want to say but I'm not gonna scream it". Especially when the Johnny's guys were really kicking ass. But by the end of last basketball season and now at football, the F-bomb is the loudest part of the song. It's gotten trashy. It's bad enough that the only part of the fight song that most students know is the U-N-T-Eagles chant without the loudest, most recognizable part of it being "Mother F-ing".

Now, as for adding the "CAW!!!" after "Eagles!" in the fight song, I am ALL for THAT.

Also, we should have had the entire stadium shaking their keys and doing the "Start the Bus" chant after Lance scored that last touchdown against Monroe. It's awesome enough when the whole Super Pit does it, and one can only imagine what it'd be like if all of Apogee did it.

And likely costs them at least twice as many. They are the most laughed-at and disrespected fan base in their conference, even moreso than A&M.

Let me guess....you like Philly Eagles fans too.

I don't think the 60,000 who pack their stadium in LUBBOCK think they're disrespected. I'd love to have a fan base like Tech.

There's a difference with Philly. That's crossing a line. Philly throws batteries at their own team.

Edited by rjmunthe
  • Downvote 1

I don't think the 60,000 who pack their stadium in LUBBOCK think they're disrespected. I'd love to have a fan base like Tech.

There's a difference with Philly. That's crossing a line. Philly throws batteries at their own team.

I think it's pretty awesome that Gordon Keith turned his moronic attitudinal teenager into a message board character. Bravo, Gordo!

• Upvote 4