Stop rushing the field!

rjmunthe

I don't know how long you've been following the program, but are you aware that during the 2005-2007 seasons, we totalled 5 home wins, with no more than 2 in any season, and in the 2008-2010 seasons we only won one home game, on Halloween in 2009, against WKU during their first (and winless) FBS season, and in 2010, when we won 3 games, that none of those were at home? Just looking at the numbers, we've averaged 1 home win per season for the 6 years preceding this one, a maximum of 2 in any of those years, 5 for the first 3 years of the 6, and 1 for the last 3. At this point we've won 3 home games, the most since we won the Sun Belt Championship in 2004, with 2 home games left. If that doesn't convince you that it's ok for the fans to show some excitement, at least you could consider the possibility that some of us may feel justified in seeing this thread you started as the most asinine possible after last night's win.

It's not a big deal, but I can't believe so many of you think it's okay for fans to rush the field after every win. Has UNT been irrelevant for so long that our fans have forgotten how to properly celebrate a win?

Here's an article from Rick Reilly that sums it up perfectly...

Rick Reilly's Rules for Rushing the Court

The article is about basketball, but the same rules would apply to any sport.

Brad4.jpg

"Learn it. Know it. Live it."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

It's not a big deal, but I can't believe so many of you think it's okay for fans to rush the field after every win. Has UNT been irrelevant for so long that our fans have forgotten how to properly celebrate a win?

Here's an article from Rick Reilly that sums it up perfectly...

Rick Reilly's Rules for Rushing the Court

The article is about basketball, but the same rules would apply to any sport.

Brad4.jpg

"Learn it. Know it. Live it."

I'm sorry, but there is no "right way" on how to celebrate a win, unless it involves prohibiting violence and looting. Other than that, fans can do whatever they want to celebrate a win.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever
  • Upvote 1

I'm at every game in the student section front row at the 50...I rushed the field for Indiana. Convinced people not to rush it for FAU, but, come on, rushing the field for ULM? Freaking stupid.

I have myself heard Coach McCarney say that he is all for letting the students come onto the field and celebrate a win with the players - Good Lord, find something else to gripe about!

• Upvote 1

I'm a pretty passionate fan (I'm one of the guys heckling the team all game long) but rushing the field every game is moronic and is belittling to our program.

And, in reference to your chants in another thread, yelling f'bombs is is not "moronic and.....belittling to our program" - but rushing the field is?

Gimme a break!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You can have fun without running on the field and making yourself and our program look like a high school. Most of the students have the sports IQ of a 5th grader so im not really surprised.

And we wonder why the students don't come to the games. Who cares what their sports IQ may be. We just need them at the game.

Did anyone else see the female security guard on the field wrap up the guy who jumped from the alumni side and try to push him off the field back in to the stands… while all the other rushers where flying out there. That was hilarious and an instant classic memory.

I saw one security person slam a student in the wall. Let them storm the field, we don't need no stinking security, unless it "wait for it" makes us look big time.

"how to properly celebrate a win?"

Who 'da hell wrote the book on "How to Properly Celebrate a Win"?

Just what I want - a couple of knotheads telling others and myself how to celebrate a win.

Asinine!

Look, if you want to make yourself look like a moron by running onto the field screaming after beating a 1-4 Monroe team then be my guest. IMO rushing the field should be a VERY rare event that only happens once in a blue moon. If people want to walk onto the field after the alma mater to chill/ take pics for a minute that's cool, but none of this storming the field like we just won the BCS.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Charles Nelson Reilly or whoever he is can follow his rushing rules and we can follow ours. Rush all you want as far as I'm concerned. Although it's probably not a great idea to go for the goalposts after we beat TSU next year. If you'd like, you can also heckle the TSU bench by calling them by their old name, since they have us listed as North Texas State on their 2012 website schedule. :ph34r:

And, in reference to your chants in another thread, yelling f'bombs is is not "moronic and.....belittling to our program" - but rushing the field is?

Gimme a break!

Have you ever been to a UT game? Or an A&M game? Cursing, brutal fans and no rushing the field.

Edited by rjmunthe
  • Downvote 3

Look, if you want to make yourself look like a moron by running onto the field screaming after beating a 1-4 Monroe team then be my guest. IMO rushing the field should be a VERY rare event that only happens once in a blue moon. If people want to walk onto the field after the alma mater to chill/ take pics for a minute that's cool, but none of this storming the field like we just won the BCS.

Thank you for your permission - now that I have it, I may just haul my 64-year old butt out there at some point and do that very thing.

• Upvote 1

So it was wrong for us to rush the field after beating MTSU for homecoming in 2001? It's already been said by quite a few people. I don't know why it's hard to grasp. Wins have been few and far between lately. Let the students and the team celebrate. As we win more and more, we will start to "act like we've been there".

Standing on the alumni side and watching the students storm the field brings a smile to my face... against Indiana.

Storming the field against ULM, I felt, was stupid. Oh well, let the students be students... if they think a win against ULM warrants a storming of the field, then whatever. I hope this behavior ends soon because we are expecting wins.

I think the idea to storm the field after every win is absurd. Please students reading the board, don't do that.

• Upvote 1

I absolutely love the enthusiasm of the students who stay until the end. If they're not hurting anyone, let them do what they want! I also thought it was awesome how a couple of the players went over to the wall under the student section to high five those who were leaning over. Then it seemed like the whole team followed suit. I think this would be a fantastic tradition to start!

• Upvote 2

Me either, I would hate to be in the situation that their football program is in.

Well, with 49 other top fifty teams out there that have managed success okay without rushing the field...I am only playing the odds.

Let the fans have their fun. Anything to fuel this mean green fire right now. I just hope after we have a solid 25K+ average year after year, the majority will realize they have watered down the purpose and taken away from the original intention/meaning.

Then we can continue with our own true, original traditions: crying for new identities and traditions year after year.

I have a hard time believing this is a five-page-long discussion. How could people be upset about students taking to the field after the game? Now that we're finally looking beyond the circus of shame we've had the last few years, now students are excited and energized and into the game and the team and folks are really going to argue that this makes us look small time? It makes us look too much like high school? Let me let you in on a couple of things that make us look far more small time than having revved up students taking to the field after the game:

11-49

9-31

Those top numbers are our overall record from 2006-2010. Those bottom numbers are our Sun Belt record from 2006-2010.

When you're coming off an entire generation's worth of college students who knew nothing but 9-31 in one of the worst athletic conferences in FBS, is it any wonder students get excited about every win?