Good Luck Mean Green!

BigPonyFan

I've been lurking in the shadows for some time, but I finally had to break down and set up an account. I honestly wish UNT well as your school navigates realignment. As I've posted on Killerfrogs, I hope good things for all of the local schools.

With that said, I hope many of you start to warm to the changing demographics of the "typical" SMUer. 20 years ago it was a bunch of trust fund babies running around Dallas like they owned the world (which, many actually do/did). Today, almost half of SMU students were/are graduate students or scholarship undergraduates. It's a drastically changing demographic that will hopefully be supportive of all DFW folks. I'm not going to lie, there are still thousands of overly-well-to-do students attending the school (I think that is forever), but I'm hoping all of the "SMUt", "SMOO", etc. labels start to subside a bit. There are MANY MANY SMU fans that wish UNT well -- honestly.

Last, while we would love to have more of you guys visit Ponyfans, please consider how SMU fans perceive the SMU program before you post comments like "SMU and UNT will soon be in the same conference". Frankly, that would be like me going onto some Big 12 school’s board and saying the same thing to them. I should expect to draw some negative comments (perceptual gaps are involved). There may be a day in the future when UNT and SMU is a good rivalry. For now though, let's just focus, as citizens of DFW, on helping all of teams get better.

I hope to see some of you on Boulevard for a game! Good luck guys!

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I've been lurking in the shadows for some time, but I finally had to break down and set up an account. I honestly wish UNT well as your school navigates realignment. As I've posted on Killerfrogs, I hope good things for all of the local schools.

With that said, I hope many of you start to warm to the changing demographics of the "typical" SMUer. 20 years ago it was a bunch of trust fund babies running around Dallas like they owned the world (which, many actually do/did). Today, almost half of SMU students were/are graduate students or scholarship undergraduates. It's a drastically changing demographic that will hopefully be supportive of all DFW folks. I'm not going to lie, there are still thousands of overly-well-to-do students attending the school (I think that is forever), but I'm hoping all of the "SMUt", "SMOO", etc. labels start to subside a bit. There are MANY MANY SMU fans that wish UNT well -- honestly.

Last, while we would love to have more of you guys visit Ponyfans, please consider how SMU fans perceive the SMU program before you post comments like "SMU and UNT will soon be in the same conference". Frankly, that would be like me going onto some Big 12 school’s board and saying the same thing to them. I should expect to draw some negative comments (perceptual gaps are involved). There may be a day in the future when UNT and SMU is a good rivalry. For now though, let's just focus, as citizens of DFW, on helping all of teams get better.

You're right about the demographic changes. It's not ALL that much different from any other school in Texas these days. Except of course that none of you are even from Texas outside of a few Park Cities kids. :lol:

So......you have been spying on us all this time? Just kidding buddy and welcome to the board!

I appreciate the olive branch BigPonyFan. Sincerely. I think it's wise for all DFW citizens to support their local teams. I wish the local media would realize that. But these day their bias is clearly exposed in almost every report they give. But that's an entirely different post. I wish SMU the best in it's future. I have to go to work every day with a bunch of SMU people. They appreciate the loyalty I show UNT. Times and respect for one another can indeed change. GO MEAN GREEN!

JRock

Thanks for the kind gesture ponyfan.

I have a weird close connection to SMU because my best friend plays WR for you guys and I've become friends with many other players/ students over the past 4 years. At first I hated SMU because of a few fans over on ponyfans.com who are pretentious and snobby for no reason. But I've realized the majority of fans who go to games are very kind and respectful (though, not very rowdy). When it comes up that I go to UNT I'm not looked down on at all. In fact, I'm asked how we are doing, and complimented on Apogee and the baskeball team. So my hate for SMU has definitely decreased.

I wish you guys the best of luck now and in the future, except for when the UNT/SMU series starts!

Today, almost half of SMU students were/are graduate students or scholarship undergraduates. It's a drastically changing demographic that will hopefully be supportive of all DFW folks.

Send one of those guys my way, I just applied to SMU Law.

Seriously though, I don't understand how some people get bent out of shape about SMU. Maybe it is because I'm only 21 and did not grow up in the North Texas area, who knows.

Good luck to SMU but more importantly good luck to UNT.

You had me until the comment about SMU and UNT don't belong in the same conference. Outside of success 100 years ago, and the Pony Express cheating days, our programs are pretty equal.

Yes..it was all good until he said that Big 12:SMU equals SMU:UNT. We're the same in every way except that we didn't get into Conference USA. If we had, SMU would have absolutely no claim to superiority unless you want to count 150 million years ago.

Yes..it was all good until he said that Big 12:SMU equals SMU:UNT. We're the same in every way except that we didn't get into Conference USA. If we had, SMU would have absolutely no claim to superiority unless you want to count 150 million years ago.

Guys, not a dig or backhanded slap at UNT at all. You're saying "if X" hadn't happened. Well, if SMU hadn't been left out of the Big 12, things would be different too. We're just at slightly different stages of the rebuilding process. I really do wish you guys well.

Good luck!

Guys, not a dig or backhanded slap at UNT at all. You're saying "if X" hadn't happened. Well, if SMU hadn't been left out of the Big 12, things would be different too. We're just at slightly different stages of the rebuilding process. I really do wish you guys well.

Good luck!

While success and attendance hasn't translated especially since the death penalty...I try to emphasize on the board that SMU can say those things because you guys have at least had a history with the SWC mates and have even had good success in that conference. So yes while you're ahead of us in the rebuilding process I think the fact that you guys have a long and legitimate history with the SWC mates takes you a lot farther and gives you much more credibility with better conferences in my opinion.

• Downvote 1

While success and attendance hasn't translated especially since the death penalty...I try to emphasize on the board that SMU can say those things because you guys have at least had a history with the SWC mates and have even had good success in that conference. So yes while you're ahead of us in the rebuilding process I think the fact that you guys have a long and legitimate history with the SWC mates takes you a lot farther and gives you much more credibility with better conferences in my opinion.

Thank you, that's a good general response for what I meant (and perhaps a good variant of what I should have said). Again, good luck guys.

Thank you, that's a good general response for what I meant (and perhaps a good variant of what I should have said). Again, good luck guys.

Or perhaps you were trying to say that many SMU posters are delusional in their Bog 12 aspirations much like many UNT fans are delusional in their aspirations of any up grade from the Belt at this time.

That would just make you right.