The area where I thought the Rangers bullpen may have had an edge over the Cards' bullpen was that TLR had the reliever by committee and I think with the lineup we have, we could possibly find a way to exploit their minds and possibly rattle them a bit at some point. With the Rangers, obviously there has been some patchwork but everybody's role has practically been the same all season(and/or whenever they got to Texas) so they know what is and isn't expected of them. The Rangers literally stole this game from them and who knows what kind of psyche Motte will have the rest of the series.

Are you thinking his over-managing is his bullpen usage in the 9th? Now, I mean this without any malice what-so-ever, but how closely do you follow non-Ranger baseball? Motte has been trying to establish himself as the Cards' closer for the past 3 seasons...he shows flashes, but like the rest of their bullpen is so inconsistent. He only earned the closer role late this year. I think LaRussa feels he HAS to still go with closer-by-committee as a month worth of quality pitching is not a sample size large enough to trust Motte could work out of that jam.

In theory, both Rhodes and Lynn did their job...they got outs...but the base-running of Kins and Elvis is what really won that game.

I totally agree.

To say the win was due to anything less than Elvis/Kinsler/Hamilton/Young's clutchness is reaching.

Although, Wash is lucky it wound up that way as I felt like I was watching deja vu all over again with German coming back up in the same situation.

Are you thinking his over-managing is his bullpen usage in the 9th? Now, I mean this without any malice what-so-ever, but how closely do you follow non-Ranger baseball? Motte has been trying to establish himself as the Cards' closer for the past 3 seasons...he shows flashes, but like the rest of their bullpen is so inconsistent. He only earned the closer role late this year. I think LaRussa feels he HAS to still go with closer-by-committee as a month worth of quality pitching is not a sample size large enough to trust Motte could work out of that jam.

In theory, both Rhodes and Lynn did their job...they got outs...but the base-running of Kins and Elvis is what really won that game.

Disagree. Yes, Rhodes and Lynn got outs, but they allowed the tying and winning runs to score. Elvis and Kins were at 2nd and 3rd before Motte was pulled from the game, so LaRussa should have made pitching decisions to maximize the chances of not allowing a run to score in that situation.

If that is what you are trying to do, you desperately need a strikeout. Rhodes did get Josh the night before.... on a fairly deep fly (deep enough to score a runner from third). I don't understand why you would pull a guy with a 98 MPH fastball for a guy who throws 90 tops, especially when you know Josh is not 100% and can bust him on the inside corner wth fastballs on which he won't be able to get around.. Elvis did make a nice play to advance to 3rd, but that just illustrates the need for a strike out in that situation.

I didn't follow the Cards in the regular season, but have had numerous discussions with a co-worker who is a huge Cards fans before and after game one, so I am very familiar with their pitching (and was quite concerned that Garcia would do exactly what he did to the Ranger hitters. He has been money at Busch the last month of the season and playoffs). That co-worker is literally sick about LaRussa's decision, by the way.

I guess I'm not saying that LaRussa should have left Motte in because Motte is the closer, but because Motte provided the best possibility of a strike out in that situation, which is what you needed if you hoped to win in 9 innings.

Game of inches

Edited by UNT90

Dissapointing game all around. If we don't win the next two the series is over. Our staff has completely fallen off. Tho Harrison's outing just snowballed after the botched call from the first baseman and the dumbass throwing error by Napoli.

If you mean bullpen, maybe. Ogando, anyway. Starters have actually been BETTER this series than the previous two, Harrison's bad start notwithstanding. StL is just better than DET and TB right now, and our offense was flat out anemic in StL.

Thoughts and predictions on game 5 tonight? In my estimation this is a must win for Texas. I don't think it is likely they'd be able to go to STL and win back to back games if they lose tonight. CJ has to come out firing and has to prove he's worthy of being an ace and/or dependable front of the rotation starter. The Ranger bats have to get some mojo...They've pissed away a lot of oppotunities with runners in scoring position and now that they have seen Carpenter they need to find a way to work him and jump on him early (Tough task I know).

My prediction tonight and yes I am a homer and optimistic is that Texas comes out tonight and gets a win. CJ pitches a more than formidable game and while Carpenter doesn't lay an egg he will get hit with some runs.

The Ranger bats have to get some mojo...They've pissed away a lot of oppotunities with runners in scoring position

This.

We had many many chances to put runs up on the board and it's just not happening. I think we had 3 hits up till Naps HR. We're swinging at some bad pitches as well. The bats need to come alive tonight.

yet the ratings are worse than last year...don't get it...yes, it's not the yanks or sox, but it is damn good baseball...

I think most people who follow baseball really follow their team and not much else. Sure, that's a bit of a stereotype, but I think most fans aren't fans of the game as much as their team. Whereas the NFL and NBA fans seem to be more fans of the sport in addition to their team.

(The NHL is more like MLB - arguably even more regional/city centric)

Obviously there are people who just love the sport and will watch regardless. But I think that is the exception more than the rule.

Edited by CMJ

Year of the Napoli. Guess who caught his first homerun as a Ranger on opening day? World Series MVP.

I don't think pushing three 10 year olds to the grouond to make a catch on Green Hill on opening day is going to get you MVP of the World Series, sir.

As for the whole Rangers leaving too many runners in scoring position, well, I think the Cards just about caught up last night.

One win to go.