Is It Time For North Texas To Sell Beer At Apogee?

PlummMeanGreen

Why do some schools get to and some don't?

I think beer sales would get most of the tail-gaters inside the stadium near kick-off, too.

Concessions under the Student Section and the Press Box side could sell beer and leave the concession area under the Wing Section dry (as at least a symbol to the Family Plan ticket buyers that NT is thinking of them, too).

• Upvote 1

Dont they sell beer in the club level?? I doubt they will ever sell beer in the concessions because of risk mang. If they complain about underage people drinking at fraternity houses, why would they sell beers to the public when its easy to give underage people beer...

Im all about it, but I dont think UNT will ever think about doing it. Its easier to bring a flask or smashed water bottle with whiskey in the game, and cheaper bc I know everyone complains about paying $10 for parking, who know how much theyll complain about a $4 beer....

• Upvote 1

Would be interesting to try one game and see results. I'm sure licensing or something else is involved.

Speaking of concessions, I can't say enough how pleased I am with the local vendors. Very fair prices with great quality. Especially for a sports venue. I've knocked out Rudy's and Metzler's so far.

I've knocked out Rudy's and Metzler's so far.

They have Metzler's? That's impressive!

Beer in the stands? This argument will never die, and I really doubt the people for it will ever successfully outvote both the people against it and the powers that could institute it. If it's really that big of a deal, then people should avoid professional sports completely.

Just don't drive. To be honest, I don't know how Denton police aren't sitting on the 35 service road just picking people off left and right after tailgating for hours on end. Beer in the stadium isn't going to change that by any material amount.

They do serve beer, wine, and all sorts of spirits up on the club level. That's partly why the club level looks sparse at times because folks are enjoying the ability to have a drink and watch the game!

And I'm sure that is where beer availability will remain.

Is there some state of Texas statute against public universities in our state selling beer at an NCAA event period?

Nickle beer night...yeehaaaaaaa! Seriously, yes. Whatever works to get people to walk in and stay. No re-entry should mean beer sales, because no re-entry is clearly hurting attendance IMO.

http://kool.radio.com/2011/08/09/about-one-in-six-college-football-stadiums-will-sell-beer-this-year-twice-as-many-as-a-decade-ago/

How so?

:ph34r: ?????

The last time this was brought up I mentioned that Athletics is trying to get the board to approve it....but thats just what someone in concessions told me, so who knows.

I for one definitely support selling beer in the stadium. Club Level doesn't count since a lot of the general public can't afford it. I think it would attract more casual fans and obviously bring in more revenue. Suggesting that we illegally sneak in alcohol is a ridiculous solution.

They have Metzler's? That's impressive!

Beer in the stands? This argument will never die, and I really doubt the people for it will ever successfully outvote both the people against it and the powers that could institute it. If it's really that big of a deal, then people should avoid professional sports completely.

Just don't drive. To be honest, I don't know how Denton police aren't sitting on the 35 service road just picking people off left and right after tailgating for hours on end. Beer in the stadium isn't going to change that by any material amount.

They're too busy protecting the streets of Denia from unruly parked cars

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

They're too busy protecting the streets of Denia from unruly parked cars

Having driven from Old FW Hwy 377 onto Bonnie Brae to Apogee it seems some Denia'ites are making some pretty good front yard parking monies profit from MG football fans. All power to them...but let them use some of their profits to attend a football game or 2 every decade or 2.

I have some great karaoke songs (among 20,000 other tracks on my laptop karaoke software) on the theme of beer.

On several occassions I had almost talked friends and family into attending a game at the new stadium. Even though they were not UNT fans, they expected a football environment similar to an NFL game, only less expensive. When they found out you could not buy beer during the game, their motivation for attending completely changed.

It is the same comment every time "What? No Beer?".

Not selling beer at the games definately hurts attendance at least a little. The diehard fans will be there. But, the casual fans might take their saturday night fun elsewhere. I realize that not everyone consumes alcohol. But, a large majority of Americans do (82% of households whose income is over $75,000 combined).

FWIW, I don't expect to see beer sold at Apogee any time soon. But, it would be a nice enhancement. And, it would pull in a few more fans that are on the fence.

Is there some state of Texas statute against public universities in our state selling beer at an NCAA event period?

Houston has been selling beer at games since at least the 1970s. It was sold at the Astrodome through non-UH concessions, but when we moved the games back on campus, we've been selling beer there too. We also sell it at basketball games.

We even had a thread on Coogfans on whether we'd be able to continue serving beer if we got a Big East invite.

Dont they sell beer in the club level?? I doubt they will ever sell beer in the concessions because of risk mang. If they complain about underage people drinking at fraternity houses, why would they sell beers to the public when its easy to give underage people beer...

Im all about it, but I dont think UNT will ever think about doing it. Its easier to bring a flask or smashed water bottle with whiskey in the game, and cheaper bc I know everyone complains about paying $10 for parking, who know how much theyll complain about a $4 beer....

Beer sells for $5 in the Club Level...not $4...but I believe it is in a pint can not 12 ounce cans.

Only 26 FBS programs were selling beer at their stadiums as of 2009:

http://online.wsj.co...6817105157.html

It's a wonder anyone goes to college football games without it. I thought drinking beer at football games was a constitutional right.

This!

Hurting attendance my rear end. What's hurting attendance is apathy built up over many many years and a "tradition" of UNT students and alums not supporting athletics at UNT.

I would LOVE for beer to be sold at Apogee, and I would be a purchaser, but the idea that beer or lack thereof has anything significant to do with attendance is just plain wrong. I tire of all the excuses (and that is exactly what it is) for people not attending games...from the no-reentry rule to the no beer sales...let's see...why was attendance bad at Fouts? They sold beer and they allowed exit and re-entry. How many sold out games at Fouts? What was the average attendance?

Come on people, your lame excuses are beginning to sound like a broken record. Lots of opportunity to drink as much beer as you want before the games at tailgating. I LOVE a good cold beer, anyone who knows me at all can tell you that, but it has ZERO...NADA...NIL...ZILCH to do with the enjoyment I get from a UNT football game. If the only reason you can find for attending the game is that you can buy a beer during the game...and if you can't you will not come...well, you might have a bigger problem to deal with on your hands.

Good grief, people, at least find a new and creative EXCUSE for not attending...these old ones are getting pretty lame. At least be creative!

I'd support the sale of beer at Apogee, and I hope it is eventually sold in the stadium for a variety of reasons, but it isn't right now. Come enjoy UNT football at the beautiful new Apogee Stadium now and when they do start selling beer we can all read the posts from the people who will no longer attend because they do sell beer! Trust me, it will happen.

• Downvote 2