Tim MacMahon: Are McDade, Mean Green a match?

Harry

http://www.dentonrc.com/img/07-02/macmahon.jpg

Tim MacMahon: Are McDade, Mean Green a match?

07/16/2002

By Tim MacMahon

Tim MacMahon

A guard named Fred "Pee Wee" McDade suited up for North Texas in the Super Pit in the early 1980s, which is ancient history in the eyes of his son.

"We never even talk about him playing at North Texas," Brett McDade said.

Nevertheless, there is much more than just a zip code that ties Ryan’s 6-0 scoring machine to the Mean Green.

There is also a style of play. McDade makes it very clear he wants to continue his basketball career at a school that is willing to run and gun. UNT led the Sun Belt in scoring last season.

And he’s more than familiar with the Mean Green’s home arena. In fact, a few of McDade’s finest moments have occurred on the Super Pit floor. He dropped 32 points there in the opener of his sophomore season and a career-high 38 a year later.

"The rims," he said with a grin, "they bounce a little bit here."

He should know. He went to UNT’s camps during the summers and games during the winters while he was growing up.

The thought of being the hometown hero has also crossed his mind. He certainly wouldn’t mind playing his home games with his parents, friends and former coaches filling the stands.

"I know I’d have a lot of support if I went to UNT," McDade said after his team lost at the buzzer in the finals Monday in the 14th Annual Great American Shootout at the Super Pit.

But don’t think McDade signing with UNT is a done deal. As the No. 12 senior in the state, according to texashoops.com, the high-rising, lightning-quick McDade has plenty of options.

His list of colleges fluctuates from a half dozen to the low teens depending on the last time he checked his answering machine. It’s made up mostly of quality mid-major programs such as Tulsa and North Carolina-Wilmington, though the Big East’s St. John’s is a recent addition. And, yes, UNT is a constant on that list.

"I’m pretty much wide open," McDade said when asked if he had a favorite.

Dad has made it clear he’d like his son to stay close to home, though he’s even more adamant that he won’t meddle in the decision.

"I went [to UNT], so obviously there’s a connection there," the elder McDade said. "But I’m going to let him make a decision."

Added Brett: "I’m going to be the one who has to spend four years there."

College coaches, per NCAA rules, cannot comment on recruits until they sign their national letters of intent, which McDade intends to do in the early period this fall. But UNT coach Johnny Jones’ actions at the Great American Shootout said plenty. McDade’s squad, the Texas Top Prospects, played three games Monday. Jones and at least one assistant were courtside for each contest.

Why wouldn’t Jones want McDade? While there are questions about what position he will play in college — he has a shooting guard’s game in a point guard’s frame — McDade would be the highest-rated high schooler Jones has inked thus far in his tenure at UNT. The Mean Green could use the boost to its fan base inking a local kid would bring.

Jones, of course, won over more than a few fans by engineering an 11-win turnaround in his first year in town.

"Coach Jones is doing a great job," Fred McDade said. "He’s definitely got the program headed in the right direction. Brett and I have been to quite a few games, and we like the way it’s headed."

Might another McDade head across town to etch his name in UNT’s history books?

user posted imageTim MacMahon