Parking confusion

stebo

Are we bound by the whole "denia compromise" - or is this something we can get out of? The parking situation needs to be addressed somehow - either with lots of signs directing traffic from exits BEFORE N Texas Blvd, or by telling Denia to just deal with it. Most people that drive to town, wait until they see the stadium and then look for a place to get off. As it is, the cops just wave you through and do not give directions. There are also no signs that explan where the cash lots are. People are hurting and want to buy general admission and park somewhere for a low price. Make the parking at Fouts $5 bucks if you are going to ask someone to walk a mile to the game and offer a shuttle (with big signs explaining how it works).

Also - there should be tons of directions on the highway directing traffic to Fouts (for free or cash parking). If I didn't know Denton so well, I would have no idea how to get there. I am lucky enough to have a parking pass but for the regular joe that is taking in one game or two a year - we are going to push them away. Someone posted on here about driving up from Ft Worth and then giving up when trying to find a place to park. That is scary.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I agree with the urgent need to address the situation....because it sucks. I have a red lot pass and will always buy one since it is worth the money (at least to me)...but this is an issue. The people coming in who are curious shouldn't have to spend $10 to park at Fouts and walk. I agree that it should be $5 and we need to do everything in our power to ensure that the walkway is completed ON Time. You lose the casual fans attention if they show up for the first time and get disgruntled over parking and traffic conditions. Just think...when the baseball stadium goes up it will be even worse since we will lose the dirt cash lot.

UNT has shuttles for students running from Victory hall to campus all the time. Why not utilize some of those for game day? We drive from Oklahoma City for every home game and the parking situation really is a problem. People probably wouldn't mind paying $5 to park and another $1 or $2 to ride a shuttle or bus over. I think I've said it here before but OU lets people park at Lloyd Noble (a few miles from the stadium) for free and charges $2 to ride the bus. I know the volume is a lot higher, but UNT needs to bite the bullet until it gets the fan base to where it needs to be. It was especially difficult last night getting back to Fouts in the rain. If attendance is such an issue (as it seems to be from reading other posts), the administration should be trying to remove the barriers it can, instead of creating them.

UNT has shuttles for students running from Victory hall to campus all the time. Why not utilize some of those for game day? We drive from Oklahoma City for every home game and the parking situation really is a problem. People probably wouldn't mind paying $5 to park and another $1 or $2 to ride a shuttle or bus over. I think I've said it here before but OU lets people park at Lloyd Noble (a few miles from the stadium) for free and charges $2 to ride the bus. I know the volume is a lot higher, but UNT needs to bite the bullet until it gets the fan base to where it needs to be. It was especially difficult last night getting back to Fouts in the rain. If attendance is such an issue (as it seems to be from reading other posts), the administration should be trying to remove the barriers it can, instead of creating them.

From what I heard, transport to the stadium wouldn't be bad, but it would take longer to use the shuttles than walking. At the end of the game, it would take much longer than that because of all of the cars leaving. You'd be waiting a long time for a shuttle to get you, and then longer again to just get to the main campus due to traffic.

First of all, the walk from Fouts to Apogee is nowhere near a mile. If you can walk around a mall once, then surely you can make it from Fouts to Apogee with no problem. Signage could be better but the signs at exits are controlled by the city and not by UNT. A shuttle would not work in this case because it would take triple the amount of time waiting to board and get across to Apogee than it would to just walk. Considering how many last minute walkup fans that we have, I don't think that would go over well for those that show up at 5:30 for a 6PM kickoff and expect to make it straight over.

This being said, our fans need to SUCK IT UP! UNT fans have been spoiled for years and I am sure most would still complain even if we played the football game in their own backyard. You should know what to expect when you come to a sports stadium. A high volume of people will make traffic and parking difficult. There aren't many other options at this point and I think the lots and routes have been near perfected. If you think standing in line for an hour to get on a shuttle bus that would probably only fit around 30 people then you must be crazy.

Come early, be prepared, GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 2

First of all, the walk from Fouts to Apogee is nowhere near a mile. If you can walk around a mall once, then surely you can make it from Fouts to Apogee with no problem. Signage could be better but the signs at exits are controlled by the city and not by UNT. A shuttle would not work in this case because it would take triple the amount of time waiting to board and get across to Apogee than it would to just walk. Considering how many last minute walkup fans that we have, I don't think that would go over well for those that show up at 5:30 for a 6PM kickoff and expect to make it straight over.

This being said, our fans need to SUCK IT UP! UNT fans have been spoiled for years and I am sure most would still complain even if we played the football game in their own backyard. You should know what to expect when you come to a sports stadium. A high volume of people will make traffic and parking difficult. There aren't many other options at this point and I think the lots and routes have been near perfected. If you think standing in line for an hour to get on a shuttle bus that would probably only fit around 30 people then you must be crazy.

Come early, be prepared, GO MEAN GREEN!

I had to park across the street from the Willis library for the Houston game. Trust me that is a mile and then some.

I had to park across the street from the Willis library for the Houston game. Trust me that is a mile and then some.

from willis...maybe...but he said fouts...i had a friend yesterday park in front of clark...we were at our tailgate in the blue/red lot in ten mins...tops...easy ass walk.

Edited by THOR

It is a long way - maybe not a mile but pretty close to it - because there is no direct route. You either walk up hill to N Texas Blvd and then over the highway - and then down the access road to the stadium... or you walk down to Bonnie Brae, under the highway - and then back up hill.

Again, I have a green parking pass and am very lucky in that regard.. but there has to be a better way. When I exit for my parking, I see people with young children or are fans that are a little older and they look wore out. That is a heck of a walk...especially if you are carrying your stuff for tailgating over to the Hill.

I did not mean to start the thread to complain - my real question is about the Denia "compromise" - how stuck are we with that decision? That old Radisson parking lot is just sitting there. It is University property and the athletic dept should have access to it 365 days a year. The police could set up so that people are not able to enter the neighborhood and only turn into the parking lot there. I think that it is made available for RV's on game day but it could be a really great cash lot (and bring in a nice stream of revenue). If someone is willing to pay $20 bucks to park at Sack and Save to walk over, they would easily pay the same amount to park there.

Is it free to park at Fouts? For free parking, I agree - someone can walk. We pay for convenience.

Edited by stebo

When the hotel/convention center gets built, more parking will become available. The question is when will that happen. More likely, when the economy recovers or local demand justifies someone taking a risk in a recession.

Thanks Flyer, I knew that there had to be a reason behind it. Is that lot in bad shape? I don't remember it being that big - but it seems like we could fit a couple hundred cars in there.

I know this thread is about the overall parking problem and to a degree the long walk to Apogee, but next Fall won't the glass enclosed walkway extending over I-35E solve many of our problems?

There was no way to avoid it this year, but many senior citizen Mean Green fans are in many cases simply not able to make the walk from campus onto North Texas Blvd then over to the Mean Green Village and Apogee Stadium and it is costing UNT that demographic this year--familys with young children the same. Young kids cannot walk that far and then have to be picked up by mom and dad which makes that walk for parents with kids on their backs our version of the Bataan Death March.

I tihnk more signage telling people where to get free on campus parking and paid Fouts Field parking should happen. No one who knows our campus like most of us on this board have problems getting around to a spot but those who have never been to Apogee could easily get lost looking for a place to park on our campus and then where do they go from there for the long walk.

For the first game, the UH executive director of the "H" club (fundraising arm of Coog athletics) parked next to who I was with near the Super PIt and didn't have the first clue as to where he was supposed to go next. He knew nothing of North Texas Blvd being the main pedestrian artery to get over to the MG Village, either. In fact, he told me and another alum that he thought the new stadium was somewhere on our east campus. (He came in from Dallas and probably took McCormick Dr exit then to the Super Pit and probably would not have seen Apogee coming from Dallas. We invited him to walk with us and we'd get him to Apogee by way of NT Boulevard. (Of course, when all else fails just follow where most of the crowd is heading is the best rule of thumb, right)? For those who don't know, we may need more "day of" signs saying with arrows pointing to the way to get to Apogee.

We knew there would be parking problems this Fall with a new stadium and looking at a map even a year before its completion indicated such, but I think they will tweak it and get it right sooner than later. We have dedicated a whole bunch of the Apogee Stadium area as a greenway (instead of multiple parking lots) which I hope we can keep that way for a long time but the I-35E covered walkway will solve many, many problems with where most of our fans and students park, ie, on our east campus. NOTE: When UNT expands to 40K or 50K in the future that is probably when we will lose much of our present greenway around Apogee.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I've been lucky in that the person I go with has a blue lot pass, but I wouldn't spend 10 dollars to park at Fouts and walk. That's ridiculous considering where we are as far as a fanbase. I think we should do what OU does, free parking and charge for a shuttle ride. Loop the shuttles down the service road to Bonnie Brae, go under 35 and back up the service road and drop off at the old Raddison lot. Then the bus continues on to NT Blvd and around again. Charge $2 a person for a roundtrip shuttle and issue wristbands to identify who has paid. Pretty simple solution. You can adjust prices as demand increases.

Oh, and the Denia "compromise" is ridiculous. Public streets should not be closed. They are called public for a reason.

• Upvote 1

For peolple wanting to tailgate at the hill, there is a drop off zone off the access road. If youre complaining about a 10 min walk, go to a gym. Who cares, I walk from the rec to the games every week, its not that bad. If youre really complaining about $10 for parking youre just making more of an excuse not to come, seriously its $10, a penny more than a double bacon cheese burger with large fry and sweet tea from whataburger.

• Upvote 2

It is a long way - maybe not a mile but pretty close to it - because there is no direct route. You either walk up hill to N Texas Blvd and then over the highway - and then down the access road to the stadium... or you walk down to Bonnie Brae, under the highway - and then back up hill.

Again, I have a green parking pass and am very lucky in that regard.. but there has to be a better way. When I exit for my parking, I see people with young children or are fans that are a little older and they look wore out. That is a heck of a walk...especially if you are carrying your stuff for tailgating over to the Hill.

I did not mean to start the thread to complain - my real question is about the Denia "compromise" - how stuck are we with that decision? That old Radisson parking lot is just sitting there. It is University property and the athletic dept should have access to it 365 days a year. The police could set up so that people are not able to enter the neighborhood and only turn into the parking lot there. I think that it is made available for RV's on game day but it could be a really great cash lot (and bring in a nice stream of revenue). If someone is willing to pay $20 bucks to park at Sack and Save to walk over, they would easily pay the same amount to park there.

Is it free to park at Fouts? For free parking, I agree - someone can walk. We pay for convenience.

No, no, NO! See you have a parking pass so you have no clue. Once your cross the bridge there is a road that was put through the golf course that keeps you from traveling down the service road. Cuts time and increses safety. Also, the Radisson parking lot is used as a drop off for tailgating items at the hill. You just drop off and then proceed to Fouts.

After paying $20 to park and walking at least a mile at places like OU and UT, I find this discussion hard to believe. Parking at Fouts for $10 and only have to walk about a mile is a bargain in the college football world.

You know what? Maybe our fans aren't ready for prime time.

By the way, I think the Denton police have done a great job with the crowds.

• Upvote 3

After paying $20 to park and walking at least a mile at places like OU and UT, I find this discussion hard to believe. Parking at Fouts for $10 and only have to walk about a mile is a bargain in the college football world.

You know what? Maybe our fans aren't ready for prime time.

By the way, I think the Denton police have done a great job with the crowds.

I measured the walk by the way to the center of Fouts parking lot and I get exactly 2/3 of a mile or 0.66 miles and once the bridge is in it will be down to roughly a 1/4 of a mile or 0.25 miles. I have nice real estate software.

I did measure my walk as well and it is 0.07 miles to the student side bathrooms.

I measured the walk by the way to the center of Fouts parking lot and I get exactly 2/3 of a mile or 0.66 miles and once the bridge is in it will be down to roughly a 1/4 of a mile or 0.25 miles. I have nice real estate software.

I did measure my walk as well and it is 0.07 miles to the student side bathrooms.

Good work. I think people believe they are running into Wal-Mart for a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread. Our parking situation is better than at most major programs.

At least we have some parking. If you went to the Tulsa game, you see that they have no parking lots at all around the stadium. You park around where you can and find your way in...and that usually mean parking way up 11th Street.

In my estimation, when they tear down Fouts, they should make it a huge parking lot for the games at Apogee. Also, they've got those bicycle guys working it as well.

Besides, until they widen Bonnie Brae, that road really can't take much more road traffic on a game day.

The lack of the walkway over 35 is a bit of a PITA, agreed. ...but I don't think it is being handled badly at all. If it's that big a deal to you, ante up, pay the 20 if you don't have a parking pass and park out on the grass lot next to the stadium. No biggie. My larger complaint is the fact that when leaving if you're on the North side of the stadium, you can't turn left, and thus you have to go all the way to 380 if you're going south, or you can't cut through town and get back to campus if you want to go by one of the bars for a post game beer. The first opportunity you have to turn back into Denton is at 380 and 35. ...but I can deal, its not that big a PITA.

From my experiences at the first three home games, I would say that they are doing a great job with the parking situation. The police have been excellent, the signage that I have seen is good and they have made some minor changes that seem to work from what they have experienced so far...and, I see plenty of "elderly" people at the games. The walk from Fouts in NO WHERE near as long as the walk at many other universities to their stadiums and the price to park is way less than many.

When the new pedestrian bridge is complete for next year things will be even better, and as Flyer noted the new hotel will help, so will the eventual widening of Bonnie Brae. Folks, we all knew...or darn sure should have known from all the stuff written and announced...that there would be a few challenges this first season as folks got used to the "new" way of getting to and from Apogee.

Hang in there...it's new for everyone and things have already been tweaked here and there. I have been in and out of Apogee and home much faster than i ever was from Fouts. Yes, that's just me and I have a decent and fairly close parking spot...BUT...it is no where near as close to the stadium as my old spot at Fouts...yet I am in and out faster.

Patience, grasshopper, patience. It is getting better at each game, and will continue to get better over the next few seasons.

My comment above is based on the fact that my mother, who is in her early 80's, would like to attend a game and she will not be able to make that walk. Where do these people go? I would recommend making parking at Fout's $10 with a free shuttle or free parking with a shuttle for $2 per rider.

Regarding the current situation, I think all parties involved have done a great job with game day parking, but the comments from the couple in Fort Worth have to be concerning. They took the time to find this website and post their thoughts. How many go through their same situation that we don't ever hear about?