Awesome editorial from the D-RC

SUMG

John; I have to agree 100%. When I read this in today's paper this morning, I just had a great big smile on my face. You win them over one at a time and one game at a time. This sort of positive PR from a local DR-C writer is worth its weight in gold. Thank you Donna Fielder and welcome to the Mean green nation. You are both very much appreciated and very much needed!

• Upvote 1

Awesome!!!! We need to convert more people to the Green Side, not only in Denton, but throughout DFW. She shows it can be done.

ATTENTION MEAN GREEN NATION.....Your mission, should you choose to accept it (it's your duty to), is to bring a new fan with you to each of the three remaining home games. They don't have to be some sexy coed. They don't have to be, but it's always nice. They don't have to even be a student. Just bring someone. Go onto campus during the week and look for people like her, who may have never had the collegiate experience, or someone who could be starting their continuing education.

Just bring someone.

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Weather killed many of our nights last night and some who had planned to come to the game. (I defer to another post today with my tree limb induced hole in the roof of part of my house before some huge rain storms came to what seemed to be exclusively......Parker County).

Ms. Fielder has been part of the Denton scene for awhile. Her story inspires us all because we know many, many, many more like her that all they have to do is experience "the Apogee Experience" just one time and they'd be hooked forever.

Chock up another new Mean Green fan from the Denton coummunity--many more will come.

Again, very inspiring, Ms. Fielder.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

This was fantastic! I couldn't help but smile while reading. My story is somewhat similar in that I didn't really get into North Texas athletics until after I graduated. What changed it for me was finding that group that was hardcore about UNT regardless of how we were doing. For me, it was my colleagues in Admissions. Their enthusiasm was contagious and I was hooked! Now I'm a second year football season ticket holder, first year basketball season ticket holder and lifelong North Texas fan. I can't wait to see our little Mean Green nation grow and infiltrate the world of collegiate athletics. Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 3

This was such a great, positive, upbeat article that I hate to inject an iota of negativity into the comments but one part of the story rankled me. Certainly not Donna Fielder's fault; it's what she was taught.

She learned the eagle claw as a two-fingered/thumb sign. I'm still trying to figure who sabotaged our hand signal. The original sign was THREE fingers curled with only the pinkie pressed as close to the hand as possible.

How many have ever seen an eagle with only three talons? It doesn't exist and neither should this bastardized version.

Other than that, Donna Fielder's article was a breath of fresh air and I wish that every person in Denton and Denton County would read it.

Great article.

Regarding the two talon claw/hand sign, it was reported they lost the third claw in a nasty wind turbine accident.

I had always heard that the third talon was removed because the students and faculty in the late 60s and 70s felt a 3-toed claw was too violent and warlike.

My first time clan I took to the game this weekend had a blast too and it wasn't even the atmosphere of Houston and Indiana. I think that bodes wonderful. They loved the tailgate and rain drama at the end of the night. Of course North Texas has won 2 of their last 3 games so the win was something new too. Confident they will be back!

GMG

P.S. - our mission should be to bring new folks every single game.

• Upvote 1

This was such a great, positive, upbeat article that I hate to inject an iota of negativity into the comments but one part of the story rankled me. Certainly not Donna Fielder's fault; it's what she was taught.

She learned the eagle claw as a two-fingered/thumb sign. I'm still trying to figure who sabotaged our hand signal. The original sign was THREE fingers curled with only the pinkie pressed as close to the hand as possible.

How many have ever seen an eagle with only three talons? It doesn't exist and neither should this bastardized version.

Other than that, Donna Fielder's article was a breath of fresh air and I wish that every person in Denton and Denton County would read it.

...well, for that matter, who ever heard of an Eagle going "Caw". But instead of inventing great pre-game pagentry, the Green Brigade decided to reinvent the sound that comes out of an Eagle. And in the process demonstrating how stupid the students (and their sponsors) at North Texas are regarding our mascot.

This is such a great article. It's very refreshing to hear from someone so positive about the school.

• Downvote 1

The bastardized version is what I was taught in 99, and what every single friend I have that went to UNT knows. I don't see what it matters. Eagles also don't have human hands.