intra state rivals

wardly

I hope I'm wrong but I think many folks will start to feel differently about UTSA when they make a beneficial conference move before we do.

What evidence is there the UTSA will magically become an AQ team? They have a large TV market, but so do we. They play in an off campus stadium and have played 6 games - none of which are against FBS opponents - and have the same record we do. To say that they will be making huge conference leaps seems like a bit of a stretch.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A major stretch, low attendance because NT doesn't have rivalries. You can't manufacture a rivalry and very few true ones exist. Two major schools of state, A&M/UT, Auburn/Alabama, OU/OSU, etc. Natural rivalries, Army/Navy, OU/UT,etc. All of these are born of long standing series that usually have great importance to the schools involved.

NT doesn't have any for a variety of reasons. NT has always been in a far flung thrown together conference, MVC, Big West and Belt. Probably the closer thing, NT has to a rival is MTSU which was spawned in the first year of the Belt. But since NT's football demise, no conference mate looks at NT has much more than a probable win. The only natural rivalries would be of the geological kind, SMU and TCU, but you can't have a one sided rivalry.

UTSA and TSSM as a rivalry? Why, does anyone think that these games would be attendance builders? If NT had played either one of these teams, Saturday; there would have been more visitor fans but I doubt it would have had any significant effect on the NT fans attendance. If you are counting on start-up FB teams to build your attendance, you know you are in trouble.

Call me poser if you want. You might have me confused with someone that gives a sh**. I live in New Braunfels and work in San Antonio so I am fairly familiar with these two programs. UTSA is drawing crowds NT would die for. We blame our poor attendance on the teams we play. Have you looked at who UTSA has played and still drawn great crowds? The city of SA is getting behind this team and time will only improve that. They are 2-4 (same as NT), and went 2 OT with a team (USA) that the Suck Belt is considering on elevating.

Why not play them now when we have chance to kick their teeth in?

From a purely selfish standpoint, I would love to see us play these teams because it would be very easy for me to go to those games. And for those of you still in DFW, wouldn't you like to make a trip to the Alamo Dome and be in a crowd of 30,000+ that we might actually win? Good revenue for the program and winnable at the same time.

PS: They sell beer at the Alamo Dome.

COUNT ME in the group who would love to see UNT play UTSA on a regular basis STRARTING NOW! Everyone he cries about instate rivals and teams and then complain that UNT might schedule UTSA. Ridiculous. It would bring a big crowd to Apogee and lots of UNT fans, would indeed, make the trip to San Antonio for some fun and the game. I find this anti-UTSA bias to be a bit mean spirited and smacking of jealousy. It would make for some great games and big crowds. Can't see much wrong with that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I hope I'm wrong but I think many folks will start to feel differently about UTSA when they make a beneficial conference move before we do.

check out some of the conference realignment talk regarding big east. cusa discussing replacing possible loss of smu and houston in west division to big east with unt and utsa, not la tech. look at the san antonio market and think of the roadrunners in 5 to 10 years. if we are a sleeping giant then so are they, and maybe a bigger one.

• Downvote 1

check out some of the conference realignment talk regarding big east. cusa discussing replacing possible loss of smu and houston in west division to big east with unt and utsa, not la tech. look at the san antonio market and think of the roadrunners in 5 to 10 years. if we are a sleeping giant then so are they, and maybe a bigger one.

#6user_off.pnguntwillrise

• av-2198.jpg
  • Diamond Eagle
  • member.gif

• Group:Members

Posted Today, 02:07 PM

People in san Antonio just wanna watch any football! Once utsa starts playing real fbs teams and get crushed people will go back to watching UT games on tv instead.

I agree with the above post on utsa.

• Upvote 1

i am susprised and dissapointed that unt has not reached out to utsa and tex st and included them on out futute football schedule. they are not going away! since my freahman year of 61' the only real natural rivals i can remember were uta, sfa, and la. monroe when we were all in the southland conference. while we may consider smu a rival, they don't think of us as theirs. i personally think we are missing an opportunity, especially with utsa, whose ytd average attendance can only make us green with envy.just an old man's opinion, which if you agree with you might share with rick v.

Please think bigger than UTSA and TXstate. It makes me sick thinking that one of these two schools would be our "intra state rival".

• Upvote 2

It seems like a no-brainer for you guys to bring us in for a game. We are a local team that has a proven track record of bringing people on the road. Also, a win is a win for bowl eligibility. This is why Baylor, SMU, TCU, and Houston have had no problems scheduling us for a game.

But I have read the argument on this board before that you guys see yourself as better than us and you don't want to recognize us as your equals so you won't play us to avoid comparisons

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Houston is the ONLY rivalry we should or really can pursue. I think the people posting on here about Southwest or UTurdSA are likely just posers who are really supporters of those schools. Please stop. We will only make fun of your school when you do this. If you want to see mean things posted here about your school, I don't need much of a reason.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not.

• Upvote 1

UTSA and Texas State would actually play UNT home and home a regular basis. Those are games that have a decent chance to sellout and actually make UNT some money. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to schedule a home game that would sellout and make the school some money instead of taking an away game at Alabama for cash. So many posters on here have the exact same piss poor attitude that they claim other schools have about UNT.

• Upvote 1

What task? Not a single one of those has sold out. Playing K State, Houston, Navy and Indiana once or twice doesn't do crap. If UNT was playing Houston on a steady basis then that would be one thing but that is just one home for home contract. You can't really be a rival with anyone unless you play them on a steady basis. Whether you want to admit it or not UTSA and Texas State are going to be FBS next season.

We don't sell out SMU, Indiana, Navy, Army, Baylor, Houston (first game in a brand-new stadium), Tulsa or any other school in the last, what, 50 years, and you for some reason think that our fan base is going to all riled up and come out for those 2 FCS teams???

WTF?

Well now hold it just a minute.... in 1990 we sold out the SMU game (an NT win) with almost 23,000 fans in a (then) 20,000 seat Fouts Field.:rolleyes: (I have the game on DVD as it was televised, too).

Many of the games you mention one has to wonder what a MG football team with a prior winning season or even an above .500 season the year we played some of the schools you list one has to wonder what could that have done for attendance? The Metroplex is a major league sports market with a "winners town" attitude and we haven't done much of that lately.

Winning seasons + Apogee Stadium will do wonders for North Texas football. If we were still in Fouts--all bets off on that.

• Upvote 1

How many of you that want nothing to do with Texas State or UTSA get pissed off when SMU, or other, look down on us? Yes, Coach Mac is trying to build something here, but we have no history to say we are better than these schools.

How about a couple of Top Twenty "D1A" rankings, a few "D1A" Bowls, and some scattered success (yes limited, but at least we played them) against the so called "big schools"? I don't mind at all scheduling those two schools on occasion, but I think that it should be done very gradually rather than jumping into bed with them like they're a couple of hot naked women.

We've been doing this for a hundred years or so, while one of them just donned their first pair of shoulder pads, and even though the other has been playing for a long time at a lower level, they're just now beginning to take their first shot at upper level football. Checkered or not, let's not sell ourselves short on our comparative histories. I think we should just go slowly here, see what happens with them, see what happens with us, and go from there. Just my humble opinion.

Well now hold it just a minute.... in 1990 we sold out the SMU game (an NT win) with almost 23,000 fans in a (then) 20,000 seat Fouts Field.:rolleyes: (I have the game on DVD as it was televised, too).

Many of the games you mention one has to wonder what a MG football team with a prior winning season or even an above .500 season the year we played some of the schools you list one has to wonder what could that have done for attendance? The Metroplex is a major league sports market with a "winners town" attitude and we haven't done much of that lately.

Winning seasons + Apogee Stadium will do wonders for North Texas football. If we were still in Fouts--all bets off on that.

How were the Rangers, Mavs, Stars and Cowboys doing in 1990?

Some seem to want to aim low. We don't need UTSA, SWTSU of San Marcos, or any other FCS team boost attendance. Our recent OOC home games (K-State, Houston, Navy, Indiana) have seen to the task.

that takes care of 1 or 2 home games. what about the rest of season? so far we have only 1 out of conferernce home game scheduled for 2012,2013,2014,and 2015.we seem to look down our nose at utsa and tx.st., and then get upset when tcu and others look at us the same way. just saying...

• Upvote 1

How were the Rangers, Mavs, Stars and Cowboys doing in 1990?

The Epistle of James: Chapter XXXXIV (a short chapter):blink:

Too long ago for me to remember what they did but actually....I am not a fan of any of the above. When I'm not working DJ gigs on Saturdays (or have a 6 inch rain with a hole in my roof I have to tend to) I l absolutely love this newfound Apogee Experience. We are now seeing signs that longtime Dentonites who never supported Mean Green football are having a similar experience, too. My DJ schedule this Fall has been a bunch of Friday and Sunday gigs leaving the first part of this season open at this point.

And All The Local Pro Teams? Stopped following MLB after their first strike, NBA is a bore although I did watch the finals years ago when Houston won the NBA championship, Stars?......only ice I deal with as a real Texan with hat and 2 horses (Dandy & Lady) is that that I put in my Lipton tea and finally...............Arkansas Jones is not my favorite Cowboy owner by a long shot. I wish for all the local pro teams a good season with all their over-paid contracts--but just not a follower.

That SMU/North Texas game (and win) of 1990 was a real satisfying experience for all of us who were there, though. I recorded it on a VHS tape and then had it converted to DVD as a life long keepsake.

IMO, now is not the time for us to dummy down our future football schedule. We have to move up and out of the kind of low profile OOC games we had at Fouts Field because as we all know....Fouts Field is no Apogee Stadium. We have to play schools worthy of playing in Apogee! Whew! I just wanted to try out for size some of that SMU arrogance!

:rolleyes:

Addendum: We just have to do now what we need to do with where our program has been, where it is now and where we want to go (up the NCAA totem pole I hope is our goal) and playing all the newer FBS schools in Texas would not help us in that department.

TCU should prove to us all how it worked for them to go rogue; that is, to remove themselves from too much of a too Texas-based school philosophy of scheduling and now they are in the Big 12. TCU playing UNT at the level we've been most of 2 decades was not going to help them get a BSC bowl game.

Texas schools that play Texas schools at our level who keep playing lower level Texas schools (as we are at the moment) will never see a Top 25 ranking or..........a better conference. Look how hard it has been for CUSA schools to annually break into the Top 25 until now? UH playing and beating UCLA the week before our game with the Coogs creates that kind of scenario--not their opening win at our fabulous football stadium that is by the way getting superb national reviews.

Just sayin' a few things as to what 38 years around this Mean Green football program has taught me and it has taught me much as a self-professed college football novice.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Please think bigger than UTSA and TXstate. It makes me sick thinking that one of these two schools would be our "intra state rival".

We have no better option for regular in-state rivals than UTSA and Texas State. The lack of long conference affiliation with Texas schools has left UNT with no natural rivalries other than SMU. The closest we come to a historic rivalry is New Mexico State, thanks to our past conference affiliation and bowl history with them. But they're a long way from us by distance and even some Mean Green fans would be hard pressed to explain why we should be considered rivals.

I think UNT should reach a four- or six-game home and home with one or both UTSA and Texas State now and see if we can build something out of that.