CH Commits vs. Bullard

Chapel Hill Bulldogs defeated Bullard 50 - 6 Friday night. CH had 438 yards total offense in the FIRST HALF; scored TDs on all six first half possessions; and called off the "Dogs" after scoring about mid-way through the third quarter.

CH/UNT commits:

Andrew Tucker - suited up, but did not play. I have no idea if it was because of an injury (seemed fine; warmed up before game and at halftime) or if possibly he violated team rules.

Rex Rollins - 107 yards rushing on 11 carries (9.7 yards per carry) and two rushing TDs.

Sir Calvin Wallace - double-teamed as usual - was such a moose that he simply pushed one or both of the offensive linemen back toward the QB. He made several behind the line tackles; created several "hurries", and dropped his 300 + pounds on the QB more than once - but I did not notice him making any sacks.

An interesting prospect (although I am sure that UNT will not take any more CH commits - too many other schools to mine) - Jay Reagan is the THIRD string RB and is a senior. Last night he ran for 126 yards on nine carries for a 14 yards per carry average - and he is averaging 7.42 yards per carry for the season (he was the feature back for CH for several games when both Rollins and Tucker were injured), and averaged 10 yards a carry last season.

Next Week: Brownsboro

• Upvote 2

Chapel Hill Bulldogs defeated Bullard 50 - 6 Friday night. CH had 438 yards total offense in the FIRST HALF; scored TDs on all six first half possessions; and called off the "Dogs" after scoring about mid-way through the third quarter.

CH/UNT commits:

Andrew Tucker - suited up, but did not play. I have no idea if it was because of an injury (seemed fine; warmed up before game and at halftime) or if possibly he violated team rules.

Rex Rollins - 107 yards rushing on 11 carries (9.7 yards per carry) and two rushing TDs.

Sir Calvin Wallace - double-teamed as usual - was such a moose that he simply pushed one or both of the offensive linemen back toward the QB. He made several behind the line tackles; created several "hurries", and dropped his 300 + pounds on the QB more than once - but I did not notice him making any sacks.

An interesting prospect (although I am sure that UNT will not take any more CH commits - too many other schools to mine) - Jay Reagan is the THIRD string RB and is a senior. Last night he ran for 126 yards on nine carries for a 14 yards per carry average - and he is averaging 7.42 yards per carry for the season (he was the feature back for CH for several games when both Rollins and Tucker were injured), and averaged 10 yards a carry last season.

Next Week: Brownsboro

Thanks TylerMG; love these updates. CH is a must see come playoff time. Can you imagine if they ever get the full 'first team' in tact?

Thanks TylerMG; love these updates. CH is a must see come playoff time. Can you imagine if they ever get the full 'first team' in tact?

Yep, Avery Saenz is the QB with the broken ankle - he is a heckuva QB.

He had been on crutches, but was walking pretty well last night with a boot, and was throwing passes on the sidelines.

He is projected out for the final three regular season games - but possibility of being back for the playoffs.

If he makes it, I don't expect much of a drop-off in effectiveness - the kid has the tools and mental ability to jump right back in and be as good as before he was injured.

Oh - the current QB is a backup with very little experience - was a DB before Saenz hurt.

Last night he had 255 yards of total offense; 11 of 14 in passes for 208 yards and three TDs; and ran for 47 yards and another TD.

Gonna be a sad year, I am afraid, at Bulldog Stadium next year - ALL mentioned are seniors.

GMG

Remember this is a 3a team, if they really have 3 or more fb division college recruits they should be destroying other teams. NT's three commits may be all legit, but there are lot of small town athletes that have outstanding stats that aren't close to being college football players.

That is stating the obvious, and I appreciate your opinion.

I am just passing on what I see. I saw Laramie Lee last year and thought he could play for North Texas - and alerted the staff when I saw he had commited to Wyoming - he was too good to be playing in Wyoming or UTSA when we had so many holes to fill.

I am looking at several kids on the CH team that I think will be successful in college ball. Personal opinion - I think two of the three CH commits have a real chance to succeed at this level, and I hope I am wrong and all three commits are wildly successful at North Texas.

Yes, 3-A players can be suspect when it comes to their being successful in college football - but in my amateur opinion, some of these CH players will be very successful.

But we shall see - I am promoting nothing; my only real interest is North Texas.

• Upvote 1

That is stating the obvious, and I appreciate your opinion.

I am just passing on what I see. I saw Laramie Lee last year and thought he could play for North Texas - and alerted the staff when I saw he had commited to Wyoming - he was too good to be playing in Wyoming or UTSA when we had so many holes to fill.

I am looking at several kids on the CH team that I think will be successful in college ball. Personal opinion - I think two of the three CH commits have a real chance to succeed at this level, and I hope I am wrong and all three commits are wildly successful at North Texas.

Yes, 3-A players can be suspect when it comes to their being successful in college football - but in my amateur opinion, some of these CH players will be very successful.

But we shall see - I am promoting nothing; my only real interest is North Texas.

Great stuff tylermeangreen. maybe GrandGreen can get out and watch some recruits for us and pass along his pearls of wisdom about 4 and 5A recruits. I guess our new coaching staff needs to learn how to recruit and who to recruit. It's not like several years of losing has done anything to UNT's ability to recruit that 5 star 5A athletes who are being recruited by Alabama, LSU, Texas, OU, OSU, etc., etc. I know GrandGreen has a valid point. he's watched college ball at UNT and elsewhere for a long time, but geeezzzzz come on...can we have a tad bit of faith in our UNT staffers to know a college prospect when they see one? Every recruit, no matter what level they played HS ball, is a "prospect of unknown college ability" until they suit up and play at the college level. Lots of 5A and 4A kids have not done well at the next level either. Time will tell about all these guys. Thanks for taking the time to send in these "from behind the Pine Curtain" reports.

Great stuff tylermeangreen. maybe GrandGreen can get out and watch some recruits for us and pass along his pearls of wisdom about 4 and 5A recruits. I guess our new coaching staff needs to learn how to recruit and who to recruit. It's not like several years of losing has done anything to UNT's ability to recruit that 5 star 5A athletes who are being recruited by Alabama, LSU, Texas, OU, OSU, etc., etc. I know GrandGreen has a valid point. he's watched college ball at UNT and elsewhere for a long time, but geeezzzzz come on...can we have a tad bit of faith in our UNT staffers to know a college prospect when they see one? Every recruit, no matter what level they played HS ball, is a "prospect of unknown college ability" until they suit up and play at the college level. Lots of 5A and 4A kids have not done well at the next level either. Time will tell about all these guys. Thanks for taking the time to send in these "from behind the Pine Curtain" reports.

First, I appreciate tylermeangreen's comments relative to the Tyler recruits. I make an obvious generation, just like the ones you are making. I guess I should never question any decision a coach makes became they are paid to make those calls. I hate to break it to you, but coaches make bad decisions all the time on recruits. No coaches are perfect not even the ones at places like UT who can basically pick who they want to sign. Lots of 5a or 4a players have not done well either, talk about the obvious. You do however, have a much better view of their potential than small public and private schools because the competition is much better.

I wonder how you came up with I expect NT to recruit 5 star athletes out of any of my posts, I am nothing else if not a realist about NT football. At this time and place NT is the bottom of the Texas barrel in fb division recruiting, is that plain enough. I expect McCarney and staff to do exactly what they are doing which is going out and try to sign the best players they can at NT. At this time they are not going to beat out many schools for any recruit, so they have to find under recruited athletes who they think can become college football players. I hope and believe they are doing that, but at the same time I am not going to get overly excited about small school athletes who have great statistics but few offers.

I appreciate every recruit who signs with NT. The coaching staff obviously thinks they can contribute and I believe the recruit made a good decision. I believe Mccarney is the real deal and will recruit better and better athletes. This year's class will be much better than his first, and hopfully that thrend will continue.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Downvote 1

I have just come across Sir Calvin Wallace's stats for the CH game against Bullard last Friday night.

Given the Mean Green's need for defensive linemen, this is encouraging:

* he had nine tackles and four of them were for losses

* he had one sack

* he had a quarterback knockdown (and laid his 300 + cuddly pounds on the QB's body)

* he had four QB pressures

This is not a bad night given that Sir Calvin sat out the first half of the season with an ankle injury.

GMG

I have just come across Sir Calvin Wallace's stats for the CH game against Bullard last Friday night.

* he had one sack

* he had a quarterback knockdown (and laid his 300 + cuddly pounds on the QB's body)

This is not a bad night given that Sir Calvin sat out the first half of the season with an ankle injury.

GMG

Love to see those stats!

* he had one sack

GMG

Hopefully, Mac and company will mold this kid into an arse kicker at the D1 level. Can't wait.

I am hoping that Mac will really light a "far" under this kid.

I am told that he likes to be addressed as "Sir" and not as "Sir Calvin" - but I gotta feelin' that will change real fast once his Mean Green teammates (and coaches) spend a little time with him in the weight room and on the field - GrandGreen, that is one area where going from 3-A to Div 1 can tend to take a little starch out of one's perception of one's self.

Either that perception will change or he will be such a "bad ass" that he will be called anything he wants to be called........and I hope it is the latter!

GMG

• Upvote 1