ALCS

eppy4life

Those of you who don't care too much about the Rangers or MLB really have no place to comment on this.

100% disagree.

I'm not sure who you're referring to but this Ranger fan cares a great deal about the Rangers and MLB, has a mini-plan, went to the ALDS, ALCS and 2 World Series games last year and has pre-purchased World Series tickets for this year. (Game 4 tickets because game 3 is on Saturday, 10/22, a home UNT game)

You can care a great deal about the Rangers but put UNT ahead of them.

It's all about priorities...

• Upvote 1

Seriously? If you have tickets to the game I can't blame you though. My beef is with people watching it on TV over NT in person.

I already have tickets to the NT game. So, my decision is NT game in person and Rangers game on TV. Maybe I'm a terrible fan for even debating it. Sorry. I guess I feel you're never promised a playoff run and should take advantage of it where as I know FAU will be back in Denton in two years.

I'd argue that fans who've spent years watching this thing develop in Arlington are invested and have a personal connection.

That is a valid point. My connection with pro teams is different than my connection with NT though. I really am a fan of both teams, but if it comes down to NT and anything else other than deaths in the family or natural disasters (babies will be planned around football season) NT wins every time. I may be in the minority here, but I would rather the Rangers get swept by the Tigers than lose to FAU tomorrow.

Seriously? If you have tickets to the game I can't blame you though. My beef is with people watching it on TV over NT in person.

Not sure what the problem is. People can make choices and have priorities. Some will go to the NT game, some will go to the ALCS game...however there are some people that just like to stay home and watch in the comfort in their own home even if they have a chance to go to either game and watch. Many people work their tails off during the week so any time you spend in the weekend will be invaluable to them and whatever they decide you shouldn't have a beef with it. I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than what it really is.

This sort of discussion is just painful for me, but is nothing more than the result of the past years of neglect UNT has been given by its students, fans and alums. Having graduated also from two other universities...one in a AQ conference and one in DIV II ball, I can tell you that from my experience the fans and alums at these other two universities would not even see this as a question. They would attend the home football game. Why? Because they have a very personal and strong connection to their university that one can NEVER achieve with a professional team. It's different and it's personal. If one never attended/graduated from a college/university then I can fully see how they could become emotionally and personally attached to a professional team. But, if one is an alum, a student or a prior student, well, I cannot see where the decision is in any way challenging. It's sad to me, that while many UNT "fans" argue for the team to be "big time" they don't feel any personal responsibility for doing what the fans, alums and students need to do and can do to help UNT reach "big time" status. It is definitely a two way street, and if you don't think so you are sadly mistaken and part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

I am all for personal choice, so make whatever choice you feel is appropriate for yourself regarding attending or not attending. Whatever decision you make will determine your personal priorities. So be it...your choice.

Someday, these discussions will not take place as the fan, alums and students at UNT will have developed to the point where they believe the priority is and should be THEIR UNIVERSITY. Whatever one decides, enjoy the weekend, enjoy the games...and be safe.

I'll be at Apogee in support of the university, the program and the players. I've made my decision...actually,no decision at all for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I disagree that it would be a no brainer everywhere. I remember this same discussion occurring in Los Angeles when USC, UCLA, and the Dodgers (playoffs) were all playing on the same day (I think once they all even played at home on the same day!). It's just that there are so many more hardcore fans of those teams that there are more people to pick up the slack when some decide to bow out to watch the baseball game.

This kind of thing would always be an issue I feel.

I gotta say that I completely support eppy4life on this one. Are you kidding me guys? It's the freaking ALCS. Those of you that say you would turn down tickets to a MAJOR playoff game in favor of going to see the Unt game are delusional. Now personally, I will be at the UNT game instead of watching the Rangers. I have to admit, the only reason I am skipping the Rangers game is because I promised to bring some friends to the UNT game before I knew what day the Rangers played. If I hadn't, would my eyes be glued to the TV watching the rangers game? hell yea they would. 95% of people feel the same way. Win on the field and then you'll become a priority, but don't call out people for missing a pretty much meaningless regular season football game for an ALCS Rangers game. That's foolish

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I gotta say that I completely support eppy4life on this one. Are you kidding me guys? It's the freaking ALCS. Those of you that say you would turn down tickets to a MAJOR playoff game in favor of going to see the Unt game are delusional. Now personally, I will be at the UNT game instead of watching the Rangers. I have to admit, the only reason I am skipping the Rangers game is because I promised to bring some friends to the UNT game before I knew what day the Rangers played. If I hadn't, would my eyes be glued to the TV watching the rangers game? hell yea they would. 95% of people feel the same way. Win on the field and then you'll become a priority, but don't call out people for missing a pretty much meaningless regular season football game for an ALCS Rangers game. That's foolish

Wow. I guess I'm delusional, foolish, and part of a 5% minority. Go Mean Green!!

I would consider myself a pretty big Rangers fan - I did have a 10 game pack this year and went to Opening Day as well.

I gave up the opportunity to buy tickets for the ALCS so I could go the UNT game. I was really hoping for the Yankees last night so I could go to both, but when it didn't work out, my allegiance lies with my alma mater #1.

Go Mean Green and Rangers!

Edited by BonfireBrian
  • Upvote 7

And, while I realize it's a personal choice, I gotta say that I 100% disagree with you. Count me as you do Matt...one of the 5%. Please provide your stats on how you determined that 95% would be watching the Rangers. Seems like a guess to me, and a pretty wild one at that colored by your obvious love for all things ACLS. Foolish is thinking the UNT game is meaningless...and is exactly what I was talking about in my earlier post. If you think supporting by attending...yes actually attending as well as purchasing tickets...is meaningless to a school attempting to become relevant and "big time", opening a new stadium and hiring a completely new coaching staff, well that, is really foolish. And as Zig Ziggler would say..."stinkin' thinking" for any true member of the Mean Green nation.

And, don't misunderstand here...I am not saying that if one doesn't attend every home game that he/she cannot be a true member of the Mean Green Nation...not my intent at all. Fans...even Mean Green Nation members make choices based on priorities, and there are simply times when one cannot attend a home game. That's certainly understandable. It's the thinking that the game is meaningless that I am referring to as a symptom of what is wrong at UNT these days and which I describe as "stinkin' thinking".

For whatever reason one is attending, thank you. It is very important for the future of this program. You, Sir, will help make a positive difference for UNT and will help create a new day and a new attitude within the ranks of those who call themselves fans of the Mean Green!

Best post yet.