What's with the conspiracy theorists and other talk?

UNTJarhead0802

I've been seeing perhaps a loose definition of nepotism or brother in law special regarding McNulty's first start over Osborne. Can't say that I see it. But, I can't say it's not there either. Look, lets see exactly what we've got- a coach that's in this for the long haul tuning up for conference play. His starting quarterback is out (I sincerely believe had DT played, this might have been winnable), he's not completely sold on his back up who, after coming in cold, played extremely well, but he has a very intriguing freshman who has shown promise. He's not just looking to this year, he's seeing who his horses are for a while in the ultimate performance test- a live game against a good opponent who has played a murderer's row schedule. Yeah, he made freshman mistakes, as true freshmen at quarterback usually do (I present the argument of Andy Dalton, arguably the best quarterback not named Colt that has come from the state of Tx in recent years, made terrible idiotic mistakes), but he did move the ball. Finishing and killer instinct are learned traits through experience. However, I highly doubt that a friendship with McNulty's father is the reason behind a start. I think he wanted to see what the kid had. He had moments, but he also had moments where $h1t the bed. The pitch to Lance on the goal line, the snap over his head, two epic fail throws, the list goes on. But, experience is the ultimate teacher. Remember, he has an invaluable tool set, especially one for Mike Canales's offense- a quarterback who can run.

Also, I think that CBS's somewhat overzealous prediction of us in the bowl game added to a victory over a Big Ten team fueled the fire to what I still think are some insurmountable and unrealistic expectations about a rebuilding football team. I have raised my expectations, and I wholeheartedly believe we can finish with a winning conference record. Next year, I think a bowl game realistic. But, the improvement is there. Do we want instant success, absolutely. We are a microwave meal ready in 30 seconds, car washed while you wait one hour cleaner thirty minutes or it's free society. We expect results from a coach that we ponied up a ton of money for. And, he's doing it. We have more talent than we realized we had, but it's still a long way to go. Let's not loose faith, fellow bleeders of the green that is mean. The team hasn't quit, they play hard to the whistle, and the mistakes they make, for the most part, are in an effort to make something happen. C.S. Lewis wrote "experience- the most painful of teachers". This is how they're learning.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Do we want instant success, absolutely. We are a microwave meal ready in 30 seconds, car washed while you wait one hour cleaner thirty minutes or it's free society. We expect results from a coach that we ponied up a ton of money for. And, he's doing it. We have more talent than we realized we had, but it's still a long way to go. Let's not loose faith, fellow bleeders of the green that is mean. The team hasn't quit, they play hard to the whistle, and the mistakes they make, for the most part, are in an effort to make something happen. C.S. Lewis wrote "experience- the most painful of teachers". This is how they're learning.

I don't disagree with your basic point, but I also thought Andy Rooney was retiring today.

• Upvote 2

Care to elaborate?

The good- the practice piece has already been touched on many of the boards, and like others, I don't put much solace in practice performance. He's fast, he's able to move with more speed than DT who is more along the lines of a prototypical pocket guy, saw some videos that were on earlier board posts on McNulty and he's got a semi-decent arm, which being able to run can make up for a lot on this shortfall.

The bad- last spring, he was trying to figure out a way to sleep with his prom date- i.e., he's young. He needs experience. Does it suck that we can't bring him in with mop-up duty after we blow the doors off some people, yeah- but we've got him some game experience against Houston, Alabama, Indiana and Tulsa. These are some pretty tough teams to cut your teeth on.

Am I saying 100% he's the answer? No. DT is our guy until he is outplayed. He played ok against Houston, really solid against Indiana, and I think we would have had a better shot against Tulsa with him in there. But, the last time I checked, I'm not an FBS coach with a proven track record- and none are the other amateurs on here. Obviously, we want our guys to do well, we get frustrated when a freshman does dumb things and all of a sudden we get productive when a JUCO transfer steps in and we begin to pull a Florida and demand answers. To an extent, the entire Athletic Department answers to us, as predominantly concerned and possibly donating alums and fans. However, Mac is not trying to win our approval, he's building a winner with staying power. He is probably not happy with what he has personnel wise. In fact, I'm pretty sure he said that. He also made it clear during this past winter and spring recruiting time that he wasn't interested in quick fixes. He understands that we have to get FOUR YEAR players to build success, and you can only plug in JUCO guys intermittently. That's how you build success and continuity. But, I'll stop my rants and give way to the guy on 60 minutes who yells. I promise from herein, my posts will consist of four sentences or less.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think we are hoping we have a quarterback who can throw. We did the QB that can run and not throw thing already.

I gathered from the Riley situation that having that running QB for the zone-read opens up the running game (for the RB). Similar to having a strong arm/deep threat. So, in that regard, we need at least one of them to help Lance.

I thought the offense did fine last year with Riley...after Todge was let go.

So, really, if we have a deep ball or a threat to run at QB, I think this offense would be fine. If we have both, watch out?

Edited by greenminer

I gathered from the Riley situation that having that running QB for the zone-read opens up the running game (for the RB). Similar to having a strong arm/deep threat. So, in that regard, we need at least one of them to help Lance.

I thought the offense did fine last year with Riley...after Todge was let go.

So, really, if we have a deep ball or a threat to run at QB, I think this offense would be fine. If we have both, watch out?

Yeah. We saw what this coach can do with that type of player... Seneca Wallace. Now, where is that player?

Since I have been extremely vocal about McNulty starting/playing, I will state the thoughts behind my comments:

1. Through five games, McNulty has not shown the ability to consistently move the team.

2. He has been inserted into games at odd times, and other than Houston, he has not been successful. This is both a blow to the confidence of McNulty and also Osborn or Thompson especially after they have driven the team to the goal line, ala Thompson against Houston and Osborn against Alabama.

3. McNulty is an 18 year old that has one year of starting under his belt at an Iowa High School. No disrespect to Iowa high school football, but we have 5A districts in Texas larger than what the state of Iowa can produce and much better talent.

4. I like McNulty and think he could be a very good quarterback for us in the future, but he needs to be redshirted at this point only playing if Thompson or Osborn get injured.

5. It is obvious he is a good practice player, but it is not transferring to games.

6. Based on game observations, Thompson should be #1 followed by Osborn with McNulty a distant third. I would almost rather see Chase Baine running the team instead of burning McNulty's RS.

7. The above are so obvious to me that the only reason I could see Coach McCarney starting McNulty and playing him ahead of Osborn was due to the family connection. I hate to make that accusation, but why else would he be starting? It makes no sense. No conspiracy, just my observation and that of many others.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

Lets Recap this season.

-FIU: that is a really good team, top tier of the conference.

-Houston:Good Team, Top 3 of Conference USA

-Indiana: WIN!! Big Ten School, that almost upset Penn State.

-Tulsa, Have played TOP 5 Talent the last four weeks. They played the best and learned from it. 1st Game at home to get a win. Us losing our starting QB before game didnt help either.

Obstacles:

We are starting two true freshman and 2 Underclassman on the front Oline.

We lost our senior leader (Phillips) to injury on defense.

Young Oline

Undersized DLine

Whether it is McNulty or Osborn is decided by the coaches. If any of you put in time from 5am to 11pm 6 days a week, and 10am to 10pm on Sundays to figure out how to put UNT in a situation to win. Including practice, watching practice and opponents game film to look for the right scenario. If you have done that then please speak up, the UNT Coaching Staff would likely love to have your help.

Arguing who should be backing up DT, is something we shouldnt be talking about. DT could possibly back this week, only time will tell. Stirring up controversy on a such a young team does not benefit anyone. Every Football Team in the country have people looking at the opponents message boards for gossip, and news on injuries. Giving out information publicly tips the hat to the opponents.

Lets not be so quick to panic. This week we start into the heart of the conference schedule.

HUGE GAME THIS WEEK!!!

Lets stay positive, not only does the team need to get rid of losing mentality, we as the fans need to do the same.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I guess some people think it is OK to lose now for the sake of building for the future. I kind of disagree with that premise, since we have such a horrible recent history, and we need to win as much as we can NOW due to the potential of a conference realignment explosion in the near future. I kind of left Tulsa this weekend feeling that their fans think of us as an itty bitty inferior program four hours to the south, and that's kind of depressing when you consider that they are the smallest school out there. Competing with CUSA schools NOW is especially important, since members of that conference are probably who we are hoping to be hooking up with not too far down the road.

• Upvote 3

Agreed, We just arent there yet to compete with the top 2 teams in that conference. We will be though. Wins create confidence

I guess some people think it is OK to lose now for the sake of building for the future. I kind of disagree with that premise, since we have such a horrible recent history, and we need to win as much as we can NOW due to the potential of a conference realignment explosion in the near future. I kind of left Tulsa this weekend feeling that their fans think of us as an itty bitty inferior program four hours to the south, and that's kind of depressing when you consider that they are the smallest school out there. Competing with CUSA schools NOW is especially important, since members of that conference are probably who we are hoping to be hooking up with not too far down the road.

We need to win now because of conference realignment issues?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if it's not remaining in the sun belt, it's going to be some conglomerate of sun belt like teams in the WAC. It would have taken a miracle, one Jimmy Johnson would not be able to accomplish to get us into C-USA at this point. We're not moving- the major conferences will laugh at us, and one year of winning after six years of pathetic football doesn't give us the credibility for respectable mid majors. Everyone needs to take a step away from the ledge- you're being very un-dude.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

7. The above are so obvious to me that the only reason I could see Coach McCarney starting McNulty and playing him ahead of Osborn was due to the family connection. I hate to make that accusation, but why else would he be starting? It makes no sense. No conspiracy, just my observation and that of many others.

This is just beyond stupid. Maybe it's because they're both Irish.

You keep referencing "game performance", but prior to the Tulsa game the two had maybe taken 25 D-1 snaps between them...and in completely different football situations...and of those, only McNulty managed to score, and against a first team defense to boot.

You really must be some sort of football savant to form such a stead-fast opinion based on such a small sample size...and in the face of what the coaches see everyday in practice (which, by the way, is the only bit of practical information available to the coaches to make such a decision).

It's similar to my being a football-fan savant and saying you're a lousy one when you stated that if McNulty starts against FAU that its your last game supporting UNT for a while...bemoaning your whole six hour drive, while there are people who would relish JUST a 6 hour drive to Denton.

Now, does that seem a fair opinion I've formed?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Don't have a clue as to whether or not there is a shade of truth to this so called conspiracy, but I would find it hard to imagine a "nonextraordinary" freshman with one year of H.S. QB experience starting and playing almost the entire game if there were no connection. On the other hand, maybe he sees the coming of the next Brett Favre, and Osborn has just plain sucked in practice. I guess only time will tell, but I really would like to see more of Osborn if DT becomes unavailable.

• Upvote 1