NJCAA ALL-AMERICANS

ssegal

Future UNT softball players Mandy Hacker and Stephanie Cranmer were named to the National Junior College All-American First Team.

Hacker, a pitcher from Midland, Texas recently led Blinn College to a runner-up finish at the NJCAA World Series. She was also named to the World Series All-Tournament Team, and the NJCAA Academic All-American Team.

Cranmer, outfielder from Moreno Valley, CA and a transfer from Arizona Western College recently signed with the Mean Green in April. She led the nation in RBI's and triples!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Evan-

THIS IS SOFTBALL, NOT BASEBALL. We are not moving to an all dirt infield. We have ALWAYS played the game of fastpitch on a skinned infield. The sport of fastpitch softball is VERY different from baseball. (i.e. size of ball, dimensions of field, strategy, uniforms, squad size, etc...) I think that you would enjoy watching a faster paced, play for one run, rely on one or two pitchers game of fastpitch. HOPE TO SEE YOU AT THE FIELD!

Evan-

THIS IS SOFTBALL, NOT BASEBALL. We are not moving to an all dirt infield. We have ALWAYS played the game of fastpitch on a skinned infield.  The sport of fastpitch softball is VERY different from baseball.  (i.e. size of ball, dimensions of field, strategy, uniforms, squad size, etc...)  I think that you would enjoy watching a faster paced, play for one run, rely on one or two pitchers game of fastpitch. HOPE TO SEE YOU AT THE FIELD!

I think he realizes that it is softball and not baseball, which is why he directed it at the softball coach. I also would like to know why the infield is all dirt. You weren't exactly clear in your answer...is it to make the grounders quicker?

unt lifer-

where did you get that outrageous figure for upgrades to denia park. it's incorrect...

Denia Park to see NCAA action

UNT plans renovation of two softball fields for its newest women's team

06/03/2003

By Matthew Zabel / Denton Record-Chronicle

Two city-owned softball fields are scheduled to get a free facelift, courtesy of the University of North Texas.

UNT, which begins playing NCAA softball in the fall, plans to renovate two of the four softball fields at Denia Park in south Denton this summer so it can play its home games there.

After the university acquires land from Liberty Christian School next summer, it plans to build a permanent stadium there, leaving the city about $40,000 in improvements to fields at Denia Park.

“The key is, we can get UNT and the prestige of NCAA Division I softball, and new facilities at Denia Park at no cost to the city,” said Ed Hodney, Denton’s parks and recreation director. “That’s a great deal.”

University and city officials said they’ve verbally agreed to the arrangement, but they are still working out the legal details of the agreement.

UNT Athletic Director Rick Villarreal said the university plans to install a new infield surface, outfield grass, batting cages, bullpens and scoreboards to the two fields on the south side of the park in order to bring it up to NCAA standards.

UNT also might add a press box to one field, he said.

The upgrades won’t take long once construction begins, officials said.

Having two fields prepared will allow the Mean Green to host tournaments and let the team alternate fields to minimize wear and make maintenance easier, Mr. Villarreal said. A press box on one field could make it a field for premier games, but both fields would be of high enough quality and suitable for collegiate games, he said.

UNT will share the fields with the city’s youth softball leagues, and players in those leagues will be able to attend the Mean Green’s softball games for free next season, Mr. Villarreal said.

Mr. Hodney said construction on the fields would not begin until the softball league is finished using them for the season. The only potential conflict comes during the fall season, when UNT will play several scrimmage games and the Denton County Girls Softball Association plays some league games. But the youth leagues will have priority if a conflict arises, Mr. Hodney said.

Other than fall practices, UNT plans to host the North Texas Fall Classic at Denia Park. All its other fall games are on the road.

UNT’s regular softball season will be in the spring.

Mr. Villarreal said the university needed to add softball this year because the women’s sport helps bring the university closer to gender equity standards set by Title IX. It will also give the Sun Belt Conference, of which UNT is a member, six softball teams, and thus an automatic bid to the College World Series.

Softball is the 16th sport at UNT and one of 10 women’s sports.

Playing at a city park where youth regularly play will help promote softball within the city, Mr. Villarreal said, and playing on a borrowed field can have its advantages, too.

“When I was at Southern Mississippi, we played on a borrowed field for three years; two of those years we went to the College World Series,” Mr. Villarreal said. “I’m not saying lightning will strike twice, but it worked for us then.”

MATTHEW ZABEL

This was copied on another post within the Mean Green Athletics posts. It is a copy of a recent Denton Record Chronicle article with quotes from RV. I'm not complaining about it, in fact, this is the type of cooperation that has been needed between the City of Denton and UNT for years.

Evan-

Hello. Wow.. lots of activity on this site since leaving for camps last week...

Softball is played on a skinned infield because it is....... It always has been. The old "sandlot" term is true!!! LOL There is no justification on why? Ever since the NCAA sponsored softball in 1982 is has been on all-dirt infields.

Evan-

Hello. Wow.. lots of activity on this site since leaving for camps last week...

Softball is played on a skinned infield because it is.......  It always has been.  The old "sandlot" term is true!!!  LOL  There is no justification on why? Ever since the NCAA sponsored softball in 1982 is has been on all-dirt infields.

This sounds like a good thing for the "Answer Guy" from ESPN magazine to investigate.