Prices of game

jazzer88

It's like this - tickets at OU or UT would easily be in the $70-100 for throwaway games, and probably $100 or more for marquee games...and that's the cheap seats at those schools.

And, parking? Compared to other schools, $10 is a bargain.

When you canvass the marketplace (i.e., go to road games and have to pay their prices), you see that North Texas is a good deal in tickets and parking.

I guess your problem is likely that the people you are inviting have no idea what the cost of a game is at other colleges is. They don't know the marketplace, so they don't understand the value of what they are getting.

But, even so - and forgive me for being less than scholarly here - they should be able to look at Apogee then look across the highway at craphole Fouts and see with their own two eyes that they are going to be entertained into a better facility. The clean, functional bathrooms alone are worth the increase, believe me. Did you ever go to the loo at Fouts?

My guess is, the cost of attending the Nutcracker didn't decrease when the Winspear opened in downtown Dallas. Just a hunch. By the way, an orchestra seat for the Nutcracker goes for just over $61...my wife likes the ballet and we got the e-mail today. Even if you can't stomach the music, if you're a leg man, ballet is the most tolerable of the arts your wife can drag you to. I'm just sayin'.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

In my wallet I have a ticket stub from the 11/24/2001 OU-OSU game at Norman. This endzone seat (section 38, Row 55, seat 8) cost $50.00. I bet it costs more now.

Why was I at this game? My wife is an OSU grad and we enjoyed listening to the OU homers gradually lose their bravado during the game as OSU won.

Why do I have this stub in my wallet? It was watching my wife cheer at the game that I decided that I wanted to marry her.

• Upvote 7

My only hope is that everyone that's shouting about how others are idiots, cheap, lazy... Whatever label applies regarding parking, price, or any other complaint...

I hope that they'll be as assertive and unyielding about getting themselves out to basketball games this year. Even on weekdays!

Then it will be something along the lines of why are we playing SWAC teams, or this is just a football state etc...

• Upvote 3

NT football games are a bargain and I don't buy that excuse. If they wanted to be there bad enough they would be and they would gladly pay $24 per game. But having grown up with a single mom who was a professor at several schools (including UNT), I can tell you that the vast majority of professors aren't making the kind of money you guys are talking about. My mom started at I think 43k at UNT in 1998 after already working for several years as a professor at IU and being successful there. That's not a lot of money when you have a bunch of student loans to pay off. She's making great money now, but that's because she's head of her department. Just saying there's a wide range of salaries among professors.

That being said, I make less than 40k and I'll be at every home game. I might be in general admission, but every seat in the house is a great seat and it's tough to find a better way to spend that money.

• Upvote 3

I just went to look at ticket prices to take the family and you can get a Family Fun Pack for $75 to the conference games or $100 to the other games. That's a great deal when you think about four drinks, four food items and four tickets. Link is here: http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=1800&ATCLID=205038763#ind

Now, I just need to put on my sneakers and get ready to feel the burn when hiking from Fouts Field parking with kids in tow. That should be fun ... not. Will be happy to see the pedestrian bridge next year.

Edited by ArmyOfMom
  • Upvote 1

So let me get this straight.

Old UNT football:

Rancid, falling down stadium

Tailgating in a scorching parking lot @ $10

High school coaching staff @ $275,000 for the head coach

GA Tickets $10

New UNT football:

Shiny state-of-the-art $78 million stadium @50% paid for by students, ~25% by Apogee (NPV of $20 million annuity not taken into consideration) and ~25% by donors/general public with outstanding interest on the bonds and ongoing maintenance also not taken into consideration.

Tailgating on a grassy hill that used to be a golf course @ $10 and a walk or $250 GMG membership for parking

College coaching staff @ $600,000 for the head coach

I'M NOT GONNA' PAY FOR THIS! TICKETS SHOULD BE EIGHT DOLLARS GOSH DARN IT ALL TO HECK!

As an accounting student, I'm afraid it would take some very creative valuations and shady statements of cash flows to make the above equation work, but since Andersen's went under, that would be a tough statement to come by.

I believe the cheapest season tickets are $110 for 6 games, coming to $18.33 per seat, per game. That would be an approximate 25% discount from single (premium) game pricing, which would be a fair deal.

• Upvote 2

My only hope is that everyone that's shouting about how others are idiots, cheap, lazy... Whatever label applies regarding parking, price, or any other complaint...

I hope that they'll be as assertive and unyielding about getting themselves out to basketball games this year. Even on weekdays!

Can't promise that for basketball, but I'm fairly certain that if I ever get a job, live in the area, and UNT gets a baseball team, I'll be at every game, even Tuesdays. Baseball plays four games a week for 14 weeks, not counting the post season, so that's 28 home games a year for your run of the mill warm state program (the glaring exception being the SEC schools who play 187 out of a possible 56 games at home). How's THAT for running up the gas bill in support of the ole' college?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

College professors are a poor investment in the educational process and certainly are a poor source of funding for athletic events. These same professors would drool all over themselves to pay $24 to see their alma maters play. Face it, their hearts are not with NT, only their desire to get a pay check.

Well this thread took an odd and unexpected turn.

Certainly not agreeing with Cheapy McCheaperson and his apparently all non-alumni professorial cronies...but what if UNT dropped the price a touch for just the wing zone? I was really surprised the Houston game was not a sell out...even more surprised that the wing zone (rather than the corners) was only about 2/3 full most of the day. $10 wing zone (or maybe upper wing zone? Not sure if that'd be do-able)...$20 for GA...$35 reserved.

I know many feel that cost drives up perceived value...but I also think that assumes a lot of other factors, one of which being a quality product (which I'm sorry, we really haven't seen for 10 of the 12 quarters this team has played). Baring just a remarkable improvement in coaching and performance, the product isn't selling tickets...and apparently the stadium isn't to the point where it can sell out the first game against an in-state opponent.

Even as I'm writing this I'm questioning my words...but the AD may need to think up something to help sell this place out...product and new-ness didn't hack it...it may be gimmick time.

• Upvote 2

Well this thread took an odd and unexpected turn.

Certainly not agreeing with Cheapy McCheaperson and his apparently all non-alumni professorial cronies...but what if UNT dropped the price a touch for just the wing zone? I was really surprised the Houston game was not a sell out...even more surprised that the wing zone (rather than the corners) was only about 2/3 full most of the day. $10 wing zone (or maybe upper wing zone? Not sure if that'd be do-able)...$20 for GA...$35 reserved.

I know many feel that cost drives up perceived value...but I also think that assumes a lot of other factors, one of which being a quality product (which I'm sorry, we really haven't seen for 10 of the 12 quarters this team has played). Baring just a remarkable improvement in coaching and performance, the product isn't selling tickets...and apparently the stadium isn't to the point where it can sell out the first game against an in-state opponent.

Even as I'm writing this I'm questioning my words...but the AD may need to think up something to help sell this place out...product and new-ness didn't hack it...it may be gimmick time.

I like the gimmick idea. Look at the Rangers. They sell bobble heads, etc., and they even have all-you-can-eat sections. I think that kind of idea would really bring folks out. I think UNT needs to win AND come up with some innovative marketing. There's no shame in selling your product.

This week I've invited a few faculty and staff members to tailgate and attend the game this Saturday with my wife and I (we had a great time for the Houston game). We were soundly rejected because the prices have gone from 10 to 24 dollars and parking is now 10 dollars. I know what you folks are gonna say, "Football costs money and now that we have better facilities, etc...the prices have gone up (like Cowboys stadium)." But, considering that this program has a long way to go in terms of public perception, wouldn't it be smarter to make UNT games inexpensive and fill the stadium and not instantly raise prices? I know that faculty/staff are a small portion of the UNT fan base, but at this point shouldn't we be attempting to bring EVERYONE into the scene? It won't deter my wife and I, but it's a shame that prices have already driven off potential fans.

You did not just post about game prices did you? Any time I see someone post that prices are too high they get jumped on, so I feel for you. I guess people don't understand sometimes that times are tough, and getting together $24 (Over 100% increase) can actually be hard for some.

So I have to say good luck to you as you wont get much love here when posting about prices.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

You did not just post about game prices did you? Any time I see someone post that prices are too high they get jumped on, so I feel for you. I guess people don't understand sometimes that times are tough, and getting together $24 (Over 100% increase) can actually be hard for some.

So I have to say good luck to you as you wont get much love here when posting about prices.

OK, I'll bite....name me a professor who cannot afford a wing-zone or 20 yard line ticket to the game. Really? I know newly minted grads working to find a job that attend the games. Really, a full-time employed professor or staff member cannot afford a ticket? I think it is more honestly put that they choose to spend their money elsewhere...not that they cannot afford to attend the game. Let's be honest here and stop all this...the tickets cost too much stuff. Attend, don't attend, but be honest about it all. This "times are tough" stuff is getting a bit old when one is talking about people who ARE employed. I do not think UNT professors are standing in the food stamp line these days. And, certainly not the professors I know who make considerably more than I do at the present time. I get it...some don't care for football, and that's fine. I just think this "excuse" stuff is a bit much when it comes to "ticket prices are too high" and "times are tough". We are talking about EMPLOYED folks here, not the unemployed!

• Upvote 1

Why just the other day I saw a guy on Carroll holding a cardboard sign that said, ”Please help. Need food and UNT tickets.” I followed him back to his office in the GA building and bought him some Jimmy Johns, but told him there was no way I was going to contribute to his football addiction.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 2

Seriously?? This thread is freaking hilarious.

If you can't afford a football game, don't go. Believe it or not, watching a football game is not a part of Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

Personally, I wish the people that want to gripe about prices would just go away...

Or to a high school game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1