Prices of game

jazzer88

This week I've invited a few faculty and staff members to tailgate and attend the game this Saturday with my wife and I (we had a great time for the Houston game). We were soundly rejected because the prices have gone from 10 to 24 dollars and parking is now 10 dollars. I know what you folks are gonna say, "Football costs money and now that we have better facilities, etc...the prices have gone up (like Cowboys stadium)." But, considering that this program has a long way to go in terms of public perception, wouldn't it be smarter to make UNT games inexpensive and fill the stadium and not instantly raise prices? I know that faculty/staff are a small portion of the UNT fan base, but at this point shouldn't we be attempting to bring EVERYONE into the scene? It won't deter my wife and I, but it's a shame that prices have already driven off potential fans.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 11

I appreciate your point, but I am a little ole faculty member at a community college in East Texas - and believe me, my contract salary is considerably less than a faculty member at UNT. Yet I manage to scrape together the funds for season tickets to the football games.

If people want to attend North Texas games, they will attend - if the don't, they won't. Financially, $10 vs. $24 tickets IS NOT playing a role in those faculty member's decision to turn down your invitation.

They may be giving you the song-and-dance that $24 tickets are keeping them from attending - but come on, do you honestly believe that to be true?

I can understand this more if you were speaking of blue-collar, hourly-salaried workers - but UNT faculty members?

Could it be that your faculty friends see attending North Texas games for the $10 price as an "entitlement" related to their employment at North Texas? I have encountered such sentiment among the faculty at my place of employment.

I have to agree with your point as well. Given that a meal at even a mediocre restaurant will cost you $25 with drinks, the price is not way out of line. I understand that they may be only mildly interested in the team or the program and that is ok. I've known both students and faculty at really big football universities who couldn't tell you the first thing about their teams. It takes many types to make a world. But, it is hard to see how a $14 dollar difference in ticket price could turn away a solidly employed person who would truly like to see the game.

Seriously, if we are complaining about paying $24 to see a college football game then we might as well go ahead and pack up the tent and go home ya'll!

$24 is a bargain. I think the price of a Duke game is $30!!

I agree, THAT is not the reason why people are not going to the NT games...just a convenient excuse.growl.gif

Plus....the tickets are higher for this game and the Houston game....because they're "name" teams. Just like the K State game last year. Most schools charge higher prices for their premium games.

BTW....they can always go give Jerry Jones $29 to stand in a hallway at Cowboys Stadium.

• Upvote 4

Plus....the tickets are higher for this game and the Houston game....because they're "name" teams. Just like the K State game last year. Most schools charge higher prices for their premium games.

BTW....they can always go give Jerry Jones $29 to stand in a hallway at Cowboys Stadium.

You've got it wrong. "They can always go give Jerry Jones $29 for the SUPREME HONOR of standing in a hallway." That's more like it.

Just an excuse and a bad one at that. A lot of people have no interest in football even if it involves a team that represents their employer. Many faculty members at all schools hate the emphasis at college on sports. I doubt if any faculty member is so poor that they cannot afford a football ticket if they really wanted to go. As far as parking, they have campus parking it's not that far of a walk.

This week I've invited a few faculty and staff members to tailgate and attend the game this Saturday with my wife and I (we had a great time for the Houston game). We were soundly rejected because the prices have gone from 10 to 24 dollars and parking is now 10 dollars. I know what you folks are gonna say, "Football costs money and now that we have better facilities, etc...the prices have gone up (like Cowboys stadium)." But, considering that this program has a long way to go in terms of public perception, wouldn't it be smarter to make UNT games inexpensive and fill the stadium and not instantly raise prices? I know that faculty/staff are a small portion of the UNT fan base, but at this point shouldn't we be attempting to bring EVERYONE into the scene? It won't deter my wife and I, but it's a shame that prices have already driven off potential fans.

: |

JRock

I agree with every post here except the first one. NT games are a great bargain. If price were a problem, then we wouldn't have had the crowd for the Houston game that we had. If they could scan their employee ID and get in for free, they would find something else to complain about. I drove 6 hours one way requiring two tanks of gas, bought the family pack, bought shirts, tailgating supplies, etc... and am pissed that I can't make it this weekend. It's an excuse, plain and simple.

• Upvote 1

I think there is no better value in the metroplex. I paid $50 for cheap seats at Rangers season tickets last year. Plus, I paid $10 to park at every game I went to. So, about 35 games. Plus I burned gas from Mckinney to Arlington. Plus there were tolls. The tailgating scene is amazing. the stadium viewing angles are amazing. the fans are excited, and the feeling of being a part of a community of people that are passionate about what I am passionate about, and that is seeing our beautiful stadium and improving program,that's worth 10 times what I paid for my season tickets. GO MEAN GREEN!!!

• Upvote 1

This week I've invited a few faculty and staff members to tailgate and attend the game this Saturday with my wife and I (we had a great time for the Houston game). We were soundly rejected because the prices have gone from 10 to 24 dollars and parking is now 10 dollars.

Parking is free if you walk an extra block or two, and the tickets are $20. They're only $24 if you go through Ticketmaster.

I agree with every post here except the first one. NT games are a great bargain. If price were a problem, then we wouldn't have had the crowd for the Houston game that we had. If they could scan their employee ID and get in for free, they would find something else to complain about. I drove 6 hours one way requiring two tanks of gas, bought the family pack, bought shirts, tailgating supplies, etc... and am pissed that I can't make it this weekend. It's an excuse, plain and simple.

i drive 6 hours one way also and go to every home game. By the end of the season that drive is a real grind. But, I am thinking of driving to Tulsa which is 9 1/2 hours.

College professors are a poor investment in the educational process and certainly are a poor source of funding for athletic events. These same professors would drool all over themselves to pay $24 to see their alma maters play. Face it, their hearts are not with NT, only their desire to get a pay check.

• Downvote 1

College professors are a poor investment in the educational process and certainly are a poor source of funding for athletic events. These same professors would drool all over themselves to pay $24 to see their alma maters play. Face it, their hearts are not with NT, only their desire to get a pay check.

While I agree that it is nothing but an excuse for faculty members to complain about $24 tickets as it is well within their price range, I would disagree that all college professors are poor investments. I know that one UNT professor actually offered extra credit to students who attended the Houston game and there are plenty of UNT profs that go to the games regularly. It is unfair to lump them all together in one apathetic group.

My only hope is that everyone that's shouting about how others are idiots, cheap, lazy... Whatever label applies regarding parking, price, or any other complaint...

I hope that they'll be as assertive and unyielding about getting themselves out to basketball games this year. Even on weekdays!

Here in Waco Baylor charges like $50 to watch Baylor take on SFA!!! $20 is a freaking bargain! I make the 2 hour drive to every home game, and that is after I get done breaking down our varsity football film Friday nights. I get home around 2-3AM and get up to make sure Im grilling by 11 or so. Some people make excuses bc they dont want to go, but for us die hards we know we will be there no matter what. Go Mean Green, cannot wait until Saturday!

• Upvote 1