At least the money ... I mean opportunity ... games are over

Brett Vito

I know that UNT makes money playing teams like Alabama, but wouldn't it be better for the program (in the long run) to avoid massive beat downs? Is it a truly mandatory part of being a smaller program? Sheesh, it sucks the life out of the players and the fans. Especially the casual fans.

I always felt this way until something happened. I work with a guy who is an OU alumnus. Last week he said to me, got the big game coming up this week. He meant it the same way they did playing another top 5 team Florida ST. For whatever reason it finally dawned on me that the mindset of most college football fans is who the best teams are playing are the big games. the problem is we aren't competitive in those games right now. If we were they wouldn't suck the life out of us.

So while I agree with the premise that these games are a beat down at the moment, they are necessary for relevance. If we can get good, those games are the way you get to the top of the food chain.

So all we have to do is get good :P

I always felt this way until something happened. I work with a guy who is an OU alumnus. Last week he said to me, got the big game coming up this week. He meant it the same way they did playing another top 5 team Florida ST. For whatever reason it finally dawned on me that the mindset of most college football fans is who the best teams are playing are the big games. the problem is we aren't competitive in those games right now. If we were they wouldn't suck the life out of us.

So while I agree with the premise that these games are a beat down at the moment, they are necessary for relevance. If we can get good, those games are the way you get to the top of the food chain.

And the thing we have to do is get games scheduled against teams whose name perception is greater than reality. I don't care how good FIU is, even if we beat them, no one will care who is not already a fan. But if we can schedule and beat a Kentucky or Ole Miss . . . even though they are not very good teams, a lot of people will take interest because we beat an SEC team.

• Upvote 1

And the thing we have to do is get games scheduled against teams whose name perception is greater than reality. I don't care how good FIU is, even if we beat them, no one will care who is not already a fan. But if we can schedule and beat a Kentucky or Ole Miss . . . even though they are not very good teams, a lot of people will take interest because we beat an SEC team.

Great point. I'd like to see these as our money games for awhile. Teams with names, and money that aren't likely to be in the top 5.

I know that UNT makes money playing teams like Alabama, but wouldn't it be better for the program (in the long run) to avoid massive beat downs? Is it a truly mandatory part of being a smaller program? Sheesh, it sucks the life out of the players and the fans. Especially the casual fans.

Actually, the FIU and Houston games were much bigger disappointments to me. The defense gave up about the same number of points in all, and other than parts of the UH game the offense has been about the same. At least against Alabama, NT was going up against one of the best teams in the nation and got a big check for their efforts. I would think the players enjoy the opportunity of playing against the best at one of the greatest venue in college football. Don't know why even a causual fan would think the Alabama game was anymore dissappointing than the other two.

I heard this exact same story on The Ticket. Jub Jub?