Hoosier Fans Discussing North Texas

Harry

Lets just not turn these threads into a nut kicking for Indiana fans. Come on. If we have 2 idiots from the opposition posting stupidity, rise above it?

They seem to have the same type of mentality as us. They have been beaten down for some time and aren't overly confident.

I like fan bases that have been grounded. You tend to have fewer idjuts, and maybe it is a little bit of misery loves company type of thing.

I absolutely can not wait to meet some Indiana fans out there on Saturday.

• Upvote 4

From what I read on their board, looks like a pretty friendly group. If any wonder over this way...please "play nice". Looks like a great group heading this way Saturday, and they know what we feel like the last few years. But, one poster didn't seem to realize that UNT has a new HC and pretty much a new staff....save for Chico!

From what i have read, I like these folks...please be nice. Not everyone "understands" the humor and sarcasm of some on this board.

All said and done, I think the Mean Green win this weekend. Something like 38-35. Close, but the cigar goes to the Mean Green!

• Upvote 2

From what I read on their board, looks like a pretty friendly group. If any wonder over this way...please "play nice". Looks like a great group heading this way Saturday, and they know what we feel like the last few years. But, one poster didn't seem to realize that UNT has a new HC and pretty much a new staff....save for Chico!

From what i have read, I like these folks...please be nice. Not everyone "understands" the humor and sarcasm of some on this board.

All said and done, I think the Mean Green win this weekend. Something like 38-35. Close, but the cigar goes to the Mean Green!

I was wondering if anybody was going to correct said poster. I for one am too lazy to sign up and correct him myself. However, other than his oversight and the one guy who talked about how much respect he has for us while repeatedly referring to us as NTSU, they seem very much like us. They even have a uniform prediction thread for saturday night... sounds familiar.

I was wondering if anybody was going to correct said poster. I for one am too lazy to sign up and correct him myself. However, other than his oversight and the one guy who talked about how much respect he has for us while repeatedly referring to us as NTSU, they seem very much like us. They even have a uniform prediction thread for saturday night... sounds familiar.

Maybe it's a music school thing. *They* are ranked number two in the nation. We check in at number 16 (but always seem to rate ourselves higher). At least that's the ranking according to this site. I've never been in the "at least our band is better than your band" crowd, but what the heck.

Keith

Maybe it's a music school thing. *They* are ranked number two in the nation. We check in at number 16 (but always seem to rate ourselves higher). At least that's the ranking according to this site. I've never been in the "at least our band is better than your band" crowd, but what the heck.

Keith

There are so many different ranking systems for academics it can make your brain hurt. I always wonder though when a school states how they rank I always wonder what that ranking was sourced from.

Keith

That list was plagiarized and is the only US News and World Report survey done on graduate music schools about 15 years old. Also, there were several ties on the original list and if I recall, UNT in absolute terms was ranked about 11.

Most professional musicians would tell you the list is bunk anyway. For example, Illinois is ranked ahead of North Texas but their Dean left to take the job at North Texas. Curtis is widely respected as the "best" with Juilliard to follow. There is no doubt, however, that Indiana is a very fine school.

Interestingly, the Dean at North Texas in the 50s, Willford Bain, left Denton to become the Dean at Indiana and did great things there. The two schools battle each year to claim which is the largest school of music in the country. Last I checked, North Texas is the largest if that matters!

Keith

Indiana has a very respected opera program, North Texas is known primarily for its jazz studies program. Kind of an apples to oranges comparison, although as noted, we do run neck-and-neck as the largest colleges of music. Among jazz programs, most people will put UNT, Berklee, and Miami in the top 3 in varied order.

I don't know if they still do, but back in the late '70s Indiana had a very good jazz program as well. The drummer a year ahead of me in High School went to Indiana. I actually found out about North Texas from him, as another drummer he became friends with transferred from Indiana to NT.

I hadn't thought about that for a long while...

Indiana fans know they're bad in football. It probably just kills them that they haven't been really good in basketball for a while. That being said they still get that Goliath treatment because they're a Big 10 team and have far too many money and resources we can imagine. I think it's going to be an entertaining game either way and hopefully it will lead to victory from our side.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Indiana has a very respected opera program, North Texas is known primarily for its jazz studies program. Kind of an apples to oranges comparison, although as noted, we do run neck-and-neck as the largest colleges of music. Among jazz programs, most people will put UNT, Berklee, and Miami in the top 3 in varied order.

You are correct sir!