SunBelt matchups

Maduro

It seemed like last year there was a lot of talent in the Sun Belt and I'm just wondering how the other teams are looking. FIU had recruits from Michigan (thanks to Isiah) to Arkansas and a big guy that was just about dominant (but a loudmouth). FAU's guards torched us at home (only game i missed... thanks ice) and we were probably lucky to not run into them in the conference tournament. How will our new guards handle that situation? UALR has to be considered a threat and even Denver was decent in conference play.

Who are some of the other impressive players/teams we should worry about?

less than 2 months away and i can't even wait for the exhibition game

It seemed like last year there was a lot of talent in the Sun Belt and I'm just wondering how the other teams are looking. FIU had recruits from Michigan (thanks to Isiah) to Arkansas and a big guy that was just about dominant (but a loudmouth). FAU's guards torched us at home (only game i missed... thanks ice) and we were probably lucky to not run into them in the conference tournament. How will our new guards handle that situation? UALR has to be considered a threat and even Denver was decent in conference play.

Who are some of the other impressive players/teams we should worry about?

less than 2 months away and i can't even wait for the exhibition game

Better check that...

• Upvote 1

Better check that...

yes... Taylor and Gantt were their leading scorers (32 combined) and Hank made the call on the radio sound like they owned us.

even 2 other guards combined for 23 that night while their forwards did next to nothing. it scares me that T&G are only juniors, but at least Tucker should graduate this year.

yes... Taylor and Gantt were their leading scorers (32 combined) and Hank made the call on the radio sound like they owned us.

even 2 other guards combined for 23 that night while their forwards did next to nothing. it scares me that T&G are only juniors, but at least Tucker should graduate this year.

You're absolutely right. They took us to task during the regular season. Now look back on last season's SBC tournament road.

You're absolutely right. They took us to task during the regular season. Now look back on last season's SBC tournament road.

How sweet payback was in the SBC Tournament. The feeling was right up there with Texas Tech last year. The amount of noise being talked by their women's basketball team was ridiculous.

Now look back on last season's SBC tournament road.

my concern is how our new backcourt will handle this matchup. obviously, josh & dominique learned a few lessons from the first game :)

I don't know how quick Norris is but hopefully he can keep up with these guys.

also, i didn't see FIU's big guy Eric Frederick on their roster. I thought he was just a junior last season?

my concern is how our new backcourt will handle this matchup. obviously, josh & dominique learned a few lessons from the first game :)

I don't know how quick Norris is but hopefully he can keep up with these guys.

also, i didn't see FIU's big guy Eric Frederick on their roster. I thought he was just a junior last season?

I'm totally with you on that.

I think PG is definitely a shaky position this year. Josh White will be a HOF'er and Dominique Johnson was a great 6th man. Now, we're looking at starting Chris Jones with Norris backing him up? I don't know what Alzee's, or Walton's roles will be, but they could also play that combo guard role, a-la-Dom. Should be fun to watch though!

• Upvote 1

1) New Peach Baskets coming around Halloween. We may need to scale back and work around CBL's child visitation rights and court-mandated community service schedule, though.

2) FIU's lineup isn't something to even think about projecting until halftime of the game in question. People swing and shuffle and dance in and out of there like a maypole at a railway whorehouse. Don't put money on anyone, coach or player, from year to year or week to week.

2) FIU's lineup isn't something to even think about projecting until halftime of the game in question. People swing and shuffle and dance in and out of there like a maypole at a railway whorehouse. Don't put money on anyone, coach or player, from year to year or week to week.

did my research this time and found this article

FIU Basketball Article

"Coach Thomas issued a statement regarding Dierickx. “We are thrilled to have Gilles come play here at FIU. He will be a tremendous addition to our team. His size and athleticism is impressive. He is the type of player that is not afraid to be aggressive down low both on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. At 6 feet 11 inches, 240 lbs, we are happy to have Gilles as a member of the FIU family.”

This was a huge pickup for Coach Thomas, considering that they lost 6-foot-8-inch” big man Eric Frederic. Frederick has chosen not to play for FIU this upcoming season for unspecified reasons, and it is unclear where he will play."