Official Attendance

UNTflyer

Very concerning. Houston supposedly sold 4k. Back that out of our 28k and we're hardly any further ahead than some of our home openers in years past. It seemed like A LOT more than any game I"ve ever been at however, so maybe those old attendance figures were reported higher than they were in reality.

The students seem to be buying in, I'm putting the attendance issue on the alumni.

And jesus please play more music to get the crowd into it. It seems they figured that out in the 2nd quarter and 3rd, but Apogee was very quiet at times near the start.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Surprised it wasn't sold out and then some....makes me think what the attendance will be like once conference play begins. We just have to win now and get that buzz of actually winning for us to ensure a sellout every home game.

Disappointed yes....... Surprised not really. We have been very bad for a very long time now. It was a good crowd but people want to see a winner or at least competitive football. We will get there. I predict inside of fifteen years there will be an expansion.

• Upvote 1

Surprised it wasn't sold out and then some....makes me think what the attendance will be like once conference play begins. We just have to win now and get that buzz of actually winning for us to ensure a sellout every home game.

We are in a rebuilding mode and that makes wins hard to come by. Regarding attendance during conference play, I have the same concerns (one reason I hoped the plug would'v been pulled on the Dodge regime a year earlier to give a new coach time to lay some sort of foundation) though I'm hoping the aura of Apogee helps us bring in a few more fans, around the 20,000+ mark.

Below are is the attendance for every home game for the past four years including yearly averages. Tonight's 28,075 is about 2,500 below capacity. It is, however, the largest crowd of the past four year. If you want to remove 4K Houston fans then we would be at 24,075 which would only trail the Navy game by a couple thousand. However, if you want to play that game you should subtract more than 4k Navy fans from that game.

It's a little disappointing to not sell out but we came close and considering our recent history that says something. Also, I had a lot of friend attend the game who had not been in a while. All of them are raving on Facebook about how great the stadium is and what a great time they had. I think this word of mouth will help our attendance to grow over time.

At the end of the year it'll be interesting to compare our worst home attendance games with the worst games from the past few years.

EDIT: In 2007 we came close to averaging 20k for the year. A horrible bad weather game (and bad season) against Western Kentucky kept us from it. I'm really wondering if we can average 20K this year. I think it will take getting on roll and good weather but it's possible.

1 Rice 23,473

2 Louisiana-Lafayette 17,015

3 Arkansas St 14,589

4 Florida International 14,718

5 Troy 14,289

6 Kansas St 21,952

Average 17,673

1 Ohio 16,674

2 Middle Tennessee St 22,364

3 Florida Atlantic 23,319

4 Western Kentucky 11,214

5 Louisiana-Monroe 12,167

6 Army 23,647

Average 18,231

1 Tulsa 22,785

2 Florida International 16,781

3 Louisiana-Lafayette 17,106

4 Troy 18,345

5 Arkansas State 9,761

Average 16,956

1 Florida Atlantic 20,479

2 Louisiana-Monroe 18,973

3 Middle Tenessee St 18,181

4 Navy 26,012

5 Western Kentucky 5,027

Average 17,734

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by NorthTexan95

We opened a brand new football palace and only managed the 3rd largest crowd in UNT history. How does that happen?

Years of futility + a non-competitive ass whipping by FIU in week 1 + a strong opponent coming off a win over a name program = this.

Still, it felt a heck of a lot bigger than some of those Fouts crowds. I know the capacity is about the same, but Fouts felt so much more cavernous. I wish we could have opened against a cupcake (or even a conference foe), but it was still an awesome time - head stomping aside.

• Upvote 4

We opened a brand new football palace and only managed the 3rd largest crowd in UNT history. How does that happen?

You do realize we are something like 6-48 over the past few yrs right? The crowd tonight is quite a feat in my book. It will only get better, and we will learn to demand more.

I don't know of many programs that would have put up that attendance mark if they had our record over the past few yrs.

Edited by ipEAGLE
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Technically speaking, the largest home crowd in our history was when we played A&M at Texas Stadium in 1997. That was very much a nuetral site (I think we had about 45% of the fans), but it counted as a home game. I even remember the PA announcement saying it was our highest ever attended home game. I seem to recall there being about 56K or so.

On campus, Baylor is still the highest for now.

The students seem to be buying in, I'm putting the attendance issue on the alumni.

How about you put it on the legions of douche that never left the hill after tailgating.

Quit bitching about the Alumni. Remember most of them haven't seen winning football in years, if they even followed the program at all. The only alums in this board are the ones who are die hards and have been with the program through thick and thin. It solves NOTHING to chastize us. It will take time to get the alums who are just coming on board now to understand how we roll, and even longer to get alums who haven't set foot inside an NT athletic facility in years, to start coming again and get them to buy into how we are supposed to act at games.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

Ask FIU. They've got an ultra-competitive team in and out of conference this season, and they didn't pack nearly as many fans as we did for the UH game.

It's more than just wins, it's also PR. If you ask me, the attendance was good considering the team's previous record.

• Upvote 2

How about the fact that parking in this stadium was one of the hardest things to figure out. I paid $20 for what I thought was gonna be a close to the field spot, but we ended up having to circle around 3 times cause nobody had a clue what was going on. Also, the beer vendors i.e. Miller Lite and Bud Light have to charge for beer that they used to give away cause the stadium told them to.

Definitely didn't feel like a tailgating experience when everything is so spread out and you can't access your car cause you parked 10 miles away.

Thank God Apogee is footing the bill for our stadium otherwise we would've defaulted by next game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 19

How about the fact that parking in this stadium was one of the hardest things to figure out. I paid $20 for what I thought was gonna be a close to the field spot, but we ended up having to circle around 3 times cause nobody had a clue what was going on. Also, the beer vendors i.e. Miller Lite and Bud Light have to charge for beer that they used to give away cause the stadium told them to.

Definitely didn't feel like a tailgating experience when everything is so spread out and you can't access your car cause you parked 10 miles away.

Thank God Apogee is footing the bill for our stadium otherwise we would've defaulted by next game.

And tailgating at t.u, atm, TCU, SMUt, or (insert major school here) would be better?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1