Post Game Thread

UNTJarhead0802

I think the big problem tonight- 1) We threw everything we had at the first half and it showed. 2) We just didn't have the horses to keep up with a more talented and experienced Houston team. There's a reason they're probably going to end up well into the top 20 this year.

I saw a lot of improvement today. I think there's a lot to look forward to throughout the season. I just hope that it wasn't the first game phenomenan and we have empty seats throughout the rest of the year. I saw some bad tackling, some stupid mistakes, blown coverage, but admittedly our defense leaves much to be desired.

We can go ahead and take what we can from next week, but I feel pretty good going into the Indiana game. I think we're setting up nicely for conference play, and if we can maintain this kind of a home crowd, it'll be a pretty huge improvement from last year.

• Upvote 1

I see adjustments. Tackling was a bit better, but still some players out of position and breaking arm tackles. And still giving up those big plays which really take the wind out of the sails. Chancellor needs to play back so he can catch at a run. Trying to catch that punt over his shoulder was a heartbreaker.

But... I see improvements. Derek looked good, except for that pick. O-line gave up zero sacks.

A work in progress and so far I see no reason not to believe in Mac.

===================

Bonnie Brae had cars parked along the shoulder all the way to the train tracks. That's not safe. We saw two tow trucks taking those vehicles to a nice safe impound yard. And vehicles owners were walking down the middle of the road where there are no street lights. Dangerous.

Edited by UNTflyer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm anxious to hear the reviews from the guys who tailgated and were at the game.

Absolutely loved it. Great atmosphere and the setup in the field seemed to work well for everyone around us.

Only negative - we need to figure out how to get people to stop throwing their trash in the hot coal cans. I could not find one that did not have trash in it and saw one with a small fire where someone did dump their coals and not see the paper trash at the bottom.

Here are my thoughts on the game. U of H is great team and I was excited that we were competitive with them for the first half. Keenum made some great throws, and is going to be playing on Sundays one day.I am disappointed that we collapsed in the second half, but I am excited about the future of this team. Tailgaiting was great as was the alumni pavilion. The stadium is amazing, also the concession stands are too. We had vendors from Rudys, Sonic, Dippin Dots, Beth Marie's, and there was a concession stand that sold fair food. I had a great day at the stadium, and it is such a different atmosphere then Fouts. On another note, I listened to Coach McCarney's press conference after the game and he first thanked all of the fans. He said that he got a little choked up when he saw all of the fans in the stadium. GO Mean Green!

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 2

Bonnie Brae had cars parked along the shoulder all the way to the train tracks. That's not safe. We saw two tow trucks taking those vehicles to a nice safe impound yard. And vehicles owners were walking down the middle of the road where there are no street lights. Dangerous.

We drove out of the red parking lot and were almost overrun by people walking along Bonnie Brae - where were no street lights. All it'll take is for one young kid or someone who tailgated "too hard" to fall under a truck and it'll be a nightmare.

They need to do something about that road and people walking... :unsure:

I haad a great time. and my wife had a great time. The tailgating was incredible. We got there at 2:00 and had no trouble getting in. the area is so big and there were so many tents I had a hard time finding my group. As far as walking from Fouts, people kept coming and coming. Young men in green ties and shorts and ladies in shorts or skirts and cowboy boots. Very big college type. I loved our seats. I got a little bugged that we had to wait so long to get in the stadium. Great food and everybody was upbeat and ready for the new era of NT football we've heard about. Getting out was a breeze. We stayed for a while and visited with Mean Green friends. When we left, we were directed to go in front of Apogee and out the service road. Nuttin' to it. Great time. I can't wait to come back and win this time. And we're going to win some games.

Thanks to everybody that made my first game at Apogee great.

GO MEAN GREEN

Had a blast tailgating. I live 1 minute south of the stadium and due to the way traffic flowed it took 45 minutes to get to my home. That kind of sucked but other than that great day.. as the song says "victory is in store no matter the score."

Coming out of red/blue, we were allowed to turn left on Bonnie Brae. I was grateful.

Just got back and losing always sucks but had a great time. The club level is awesome. Things felt big time in Denton for the first time ever in my mind.

We can all sit here and think about the lost years and how we should be better but that does not change reality. I think we have the right coaches just no depth and few playmakers. Going to be a couple more years but we are on the right track now. Strange to feel good after a 25 point loss but honestly I thought we might lose this one by 50 and I think I am not alone there.

Tonight was awesome and it was something I'll never forget. I was actually pleased with the way that we played tonight, especially in the first half. I always knew we would eventually fall behind Houston though, they're a hell of a team and they will surprise a lot of people this year. The stadium is freaking unbelievable. Gotta say, tonight we felt like a legit Division 1 football program. The crowd, the venue, the atmosphere was all amazing and unforgettable. While we lost the game, it was still a very enjoyable game. Can't wait for the rest of the season and to see how we improve week by week. GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!

I had an amazing time. Tailgated under a tree which was very relaxing. Next time I might aim for the Hill just for the different experience. Traffic was very well put together, especially them shutting down the right hand lane southbound on 35E so you could easily (safely) get on.

I'm not gonna lie, when the Mean Green took the field, I had to wipe my eyes. Such an amazing experience. Apogee Stadium is an incredible venue, and everything about it is first class. Just fix that net in front of the video board.

As for the game itself, I was very impressed. We stood toe to toe with UH in the first half. The second half, we were just outplayed by a bigger, stronger, faster team. We'll get there in the next couple years.

Can't wait for the next game.

Oh, and I'm so glad the first touchdown scored in Apogee Stadium was by the Mean Green.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 3

What an experience. I've been to quite a few college football games over the years but this is the first time I've ever attended a game when a new stadium was opened. It was a great experience and one that I won't forget.

As far as the game goes, here's my take. UNT looked good the first half but Kevin Sumlin made adjustments at halftime and things quickly fell apart in the 3rd quarter. Defensively, this is not a good football team and it's going to take a couple of recruiting classes for McCarney to get this unit where it needs to be. I think Zach Orr is a good building block though. Offensively, I will predict that at some point this season, possibly as soon as the Florida Atlantic game, that Derek Thompson will no longer be the starting QB. Teams are typically not successful on a consistent basis when you rotate QBs. I thought before last spring that Brent Osbourne would be our starter but he hasn't panned out. I like McNulty and McCarney has a history with mobile QBs. Our offensive line, as expected, is a huge liability, and that's why Lance Dunbar is having such a hard time getting going. He's really our only offensive threat.

The atmosphere at the game was great though and even better, it was awesome to see the student section full. My fear though is we could be looking at half empty stadium by midseason if UNT cannot come up with a couple of wins by midseason.