Take a deep breath...A Different Perspective

philtex

Ok, I will admit I do not have 5 or 10 years of living and dying with this program like many of yall in this forum, so I certainly understand the frustration and shock of what we all had to endure Thursday night. I was right there with you with expectations.

I graduated from UNT in 88 and the last Mean Green game I attended was the infamous loss at UT- I was sitting on that end zone side, and yes, we got robbed! For the last 20 years I have only kept up with the program from afar, checking scores every now and then. I will also admit I drank the Dodge Koolaid early on and started paying a bit more attention, in vain, for a couple of seasons, only to be crushed once again. Many people in this forum, upon witnessing the carnage against FIU, are choosing to take the stand that this is basically "business as usual", nothing has changed, only losing and more frustration is ahead with no light at the end of the tunnel, are being very short-sighted. However, our new stadium can and will change all this- given some time.

In my opinion it all starts with the talent on the field, and that will take a few years. I have no idea really how good FIU is but it was easy to see the difference between the athletic ability between the 2 teams from the very start. Put yourselves in the shoes of a talented HS recruit from Texas or surrounding areas. If you get offers from a few larger programs, out of state, along with an offer from UNT, in the past it would have been nothing to consider- you would go with the more established school. However now with Apogee (and hopefully fans in the seats) you may very well go with the Mean Green just so your extended family can attend games. And, just as important, your odds of getting on the field as a Fr. or Soph. at your chosen position at UNT, rather than watching the action until your Jr. or Sr. seasons if you went with one of the bigger alternatives. I also feel this effect will snowball, as more talent is attracted to UNT, more wins result, better scheduling and attention, etc., leading to even higher levels of talent.

How long will this process take? None of us can know, but I guess what I am trying to say is: go ahead vent your frustrations and failed expectations. I feel your pain! However lets take a deep breath, give Mac and Apogee some time to get this ship headed in the right direction. Show up at our home games, and get loud! Hopefully as the season progresses, we will see student participation increase at a level this program has never before experienced. I firmly believe we will see progress as the season moves forward. We have all seen programs turn around. Our new stadium will provide the catalyst. IT WILL HAPPEN HERE!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Ok, I will admit I do not have 5 or 10 years of living and dying with this program like many of yall in this forum, so I certainly understand the frustration and shock of what we all had to endure Thursday night. I was right there with you with expectations.

I graduated from UNT in 88 and the last Mean Green game I attended was the infamous loss at UT- I was sitting on that end zone side, and yes, we got robbed! For the last 20 years I have only kept up with the program from afar, checking scores every now and then. I will also admit I drank the Dodge Koolaid early on and started paying a bit more attention, in vain, for a couple of seasons, only to be crushed once again. Many people in this forum, upon witnessing the carnage against FIU, are choosing to take the stand that this is basically "business as usual", nothing has changed, only losing and more frustration is ahead with no light at the end of the tunnel, are being very short-sighted. However, our new stadium can and will change all this- given some time.

In my opinion it all starts with the talent on the field, and that will take a few years. I have no idea really how good FIU is but it was easy to see the difference between the athletic ability between the 2 teams from the very start. Put yourselves in the shoes of a talented HS recruit from Texas or surrounding areas. If you get offers from a few larger programs, out of state, along with an offer from UNT, in the past it would have been nothing to consider- you would go with the more established school. However now with Apogee (and hopefully fans in the seats) you may very well go with the Mean Green just so your extended family can attend games. And, just as important, your odds of getting on the field as a Fr. or Soph. at your chosen position at UNT, rather than watching the action until your Jr. or Sr. seasons if you went with one of the bigger alternatives. I also feel this effect will snowball, as more talent is attracted to UNT, more wins result, better scheduling and attention, etc., leading to even higher levels of talent.

How long will this process take? None of us can know, but I guess what I am trying to say is: go ahead vent your frustrations and failed expectations. I feel your pain! However lets take a deep breath, give Mac and Apogee some time to get this ship headed in the right direction. Show up at our home games, and get loud! Hopefully as the season progresses, we will see student participation increase at a level this program has never before experienced. I firmly believe we will see progress as the season moves forward. We have all seen programs turn around. Our new stadium will provide the catalyst. IT WILL HAPPEN HERE!

I've been following since 86 and was in the stands near you in 88. Man you missed the fun years and all of those hollaring fans on bourbon.

It will happen here. I hope we get to New Orleans again, but in the interim lets just get better each game and enjoy one of the best tailgate scenes in the Southwest!

GMG