Answers for parking/tailgating

The trend of banning tailgating during games.

If parking as a resource becomes so scarce, then I get it. Otherwise, not so much. I don't think anybody here against it takes that side because somebody got shot at a 49er game. I think they take that side because that's not how they do game day, so that's not how others should do game day. Until sellouts are a regular thing, and parking spaces are at a premium, I really don't care what people do so long as they don't get behind the wheel and run me over.

I'm peeved, for the first time during the entire new stadium process. The RV/Bus parking issue is not cool. There should be single game options for MGC club members, not just a $400 bend over.

You clearly missed the part where it says "RV single game parking $60 at fouts". The $400/season parking is in the MGC lots for MGC donors.

Any idea on how strictly they will enforce the size of grills? Me and my roomates bought a fairly large grill before last season mainly for tailgating and I was hoping to set up our tailgate a little south of the duck pond.

Edited by UNTP1

Any idea on how strictly they will enforce the size of grills? Me and my roomates bought a fairly large grill before last season mainly for tailgating and I was hoping to set up our tailgate a little south of the duck pond.

I hope they don't enforce it too strictly. I got a nice green grill in the offseason that attaches to the hitch mount on the back of the car with a swing arm. It's a little bigger than what they say they will allow, but I got it just for Mean Green tailgating.

I hope that the "no tailgating during the game" policy will have a lenient interpretation to it for a couple of reasons. First, I'm not cool with leaving my grill and coolers and chairs and canopy unattended during the game. With our group of folks, there's anywhere from two or three of us at a game to 10 to 15 of us at Homecoming. At least one person always stays behind, usually the person or people who aren't that interested in the football game. Yes, there's always at least one in our group who is there for the tailgating, not for the football.

That brings me to my second reason I'm hoping for a lenient interpretation: At Homecoming, our group always gets more people for tailgating than at any other game. Probably half of those folks don't come to the Homecoming tailgate for the game; they come because the Homecoming tailgate is our Homecoming event. It's our one chance a year to all get together and visit and grill and drink and hang out. I know of two, possibly five or six folks out of our group who I doubt would come to the Homecoming tailgate if they had to leave during the game. In our group's case, and, I imagine in most groups' cases, the people who show up just for the tailgate aren't going to be the ones parking at 8am in one of the Apogee lots or the Victory lot. I imagine that the tailgate-only folks are going to be parking over by Fouts, not taking up spaces in the lots on the south side of 35.

I understand the issue of limited parking and I understand wanting folks to go to the game instead of tailgate once the game has started. I think the team that Coach McCarney leads into this season will do enough on their own merits to draw fans without any need to crack down on tailgating. GMG!

• Upvote 1

I think a lot of these rules are set up only to be used in extenuating circumstances. Don't make an a$$ out of yourself and you shouldn't have a problem. Examples: Hosting 100 people at your tailgate while the game is in the 2nd quarter, brining the biggest grill you can find and then pointing out that the regulation only says "should" (private property, folks. They can throw you off just because they don't like the way you look).

Be nice and respectful (yes, even to the parking Nazis) and you shouldn't have a problem.

• Upvote 3