Metroplex Tournament

Forget the tournament.

Lets play each of those three schools twice each season (home and home) to build basketball Metroplex rivalries.

People may enjoy home games, but they are forged into becoming hard-core fans by supporting their team in a hostile environment. Those people become fans for life.

The rivalries of Tobacco Road in North Carolina were not formed by those three schools avoiding each other. All three have benefitted by the proximity.

UTEP, UNM, and NMSU have all similarly benefitted. They have all been able to establish solid programs in the middle of a desert wasteland that is naturally devoid of basketball talent. Those three schools would not have ever accomplished anything without those rivalries.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Apparently, SMU had rather protect their BB program and wins are more important to them than fans or competitive oc schedules. TCU is a mystery with their acceptance into a great BB conference. This metro tournament idea has been kicked around forever. I remember a big article in the late "Dallas Times Herald" supporting the idea.

I don't think having all four schools agree is necessary. What is necessary is finding a good sponsor. Suppose UTA and NT agreed to take part, I don't think it would be difficult in one of the richest BB recruiting area in the nation to find good teams willing to play in this area. Get a Baylor, OU, Kansas etc. and to heck with the local schools that don't want to participate.

I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. I suppose a sports comission would be the better way to go. I am not sure if the Denton Sports Commission is still active in forming sporting events.

Dave Brown GM of AAC

Article on him and the Big 12 Tourney

reach out....call him....see if there would be any interest then go from there.

Forget the tournament.

Lets play each of those three schools twice each season (home and home) to build basketball Metroplex rivalries.

People may enjoy home games, but they are forged into becoming hard-core fans by supporting their team in a hostile environment. Those people become fans for life.

The rivalries of Tobacco Road in North Carolina were not formed by those three schools avoiding each other. All three have benefitted by the proximity.

UTEP, UNM, and NMSU have all similarly benefitted. They have all been able to establish solid programs in the middle of a desert wasteland that is naturally devoid of basketball talent. Those three schools would not have ever accomplished anything without those rivalries.

Tobacco Road is very different considering all of the schools are in the same conference.

UNM/UTEP/UNM is also different since they're the only schools within hundreds of miles of each other. I'm sure they all started playing each other home and home so they could actually have a reasonable bus ride to/from some games.

If we played home and home against all 3, that would be a significant part of our OOC schedule. It'd also probably devastate our SOS. That's six contests against teams that are often below 200 in the RPI.

Tobacco Road is very different considering all of the schools are in the same conference.

UNM/UTEP/UNM is also different since they're the only schools within hundreds of miles of each other. I'm sure they all started playing each other home and home so they could actually have a reasonable bus ride to/from some games.

If we played home and home against all 3, that would be a significant part of our OOC schedule. It'd also probably devastate our SOS. That's six contests against teams that are often below 200 in the RPI.

Can someone wiser than me tell me if a preseason exhibition match is capable of occurring in this format so as not to degrade SOS?

TCU will start to see a boost in RPI and so should UTA.

Until we start to see some overall improvement we will be in the worst basketball conferene of any team in the metrolplex. Utah State > SunBelt

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Am I the only one that thinks TCU may not reach double-digit wins due to their new conference affiliation the first few years? Talk about a scary schedule in conference play. I know the move is good overall to get their program some national media coverage (especially football) but for hoops they're gonna need a lot of smaller schools on their non-conference schedule to reach 10-11 wins I think.

Edited by utamav91

Am I the only one that thinks TCU may not reach double-digit wins due to their new conference affiliation the first few years? Talk about a scary schedule in conference play. I know the move is good overall to get their program some national media coverage (especially football) but for hoops they're gonna need a lot of smaller schools on their non-conference schedule to reach 10-11 wins I think.

TCU's conference moves over the past 10 years has always been about moving up the food chain - getting to an AQ football conference. They did it by joining the Big East. It just so happens the Big East is a damn good basketball conference too. They will pay their dues for a while in basketball.