Exciting numbers

untbone05

At 30 years old, DCI came around about 10 years after McAdow retired. This is the driving force behind today's competitive marching band experience. DCI alumni are everywhere: they are all over high school band staffs, and you can always count on at least one of our drum majors being alumnus. Dr. Williams did DCI (I forget which one!). Things just aren't what they used to be, and it doesn't have to be a bad thing.

http://bcove.me/2pdqd88c

I think Dr. William's does a wonderful job balancing their role within the gameday experience, and their responsibility to educate and prepare future band directors to field competitive marching programs.

Also, it would be very cool to see them do a throwback show? They don't have to bring back everything, 100% of the time. But maybe they can find an original arrangement of the Fight Song and play it once/game? Just a thought. Who knows? Maybe Dr. Williams has something up his sleeve!

I look forward to seeing what the Green Brigade shows us this year!

Edited by greenminer

Just like last year when everyone was posting saying that Troy's band blew the Green Brigade out of the water.

In loudness, they did. Several in our section on the pressbox side commented how could a small band sound louder than our MGB? Maybe they had amps, but then why doesn't our band have amps too?

In loudness, they did. Several in our section on the pressbox side commented how could a small band sound louder than our MGB? Maybe they had amps, but then why doesn't our band have amps too?

I wasn't there, but I'm pretty sure they were all brass--no woodwinds. Either way, loudness is really not the mark of a great band.

I think we should just mic up the whole band via wireless packs and run the signal straight into the Apogee Stadium system. From the soundboard, we can use our top-of-the-line Apogee network to broadcast it instantly to every intercom and speaker on campus and beyond.

Where can you go from there? Nowhere. Suck it Troy.

Edited by greenminer

I wasn't there, but I'm pretty sure they were all brass--no woodwinds. Either way, loudness is really not the mark of a great band.

At a football game, loudness counts, pretty is second.

They had mostly brass and I believe at least a couple electric bass guitars.

I've heard some of the old recordings of the GB that were posted some time ago from a record. I suppose my ear isn't refined enough to determine if the performers were better or not. However, it was obvious that the music arrangements, including the fight song and Alma mater, were much more complex in the old recordings, making them sound better iMO. Could the difference be that the music has been dumbed down rather than B team performers?

I'm sorry, but unless/until the shows are at Apogee stadium before the North Texas alumni/students/visiting fans, I'm really not interested in seeing the video.

Yeah, same goes for the 1 o'clock lab band, unless those guys play at a football game they don't exist to me either. /geesh, let it go man.

Bottom line. Back in olden times there wasn't things like drum line competitions. Then things changed and the drumline at UNT was so dominant we had too many students wanting to attend our university that we had to eventually make it into it's own performing group. Now they tour the world and help recruit to the UNT college of music.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, same goes for the 1 o'clock lab band, unless those guys play at a football game they don't exist to me either. /geesh, let it go man.

Bottom line. Back in olden times there wasn't things like drum line competitions. Then things changed and the drumline at UNT was so dominant we had too many students wanting to attend our university that we had to eventually make it into it's own performing group. Now they tour the world and help recruit to the UNT college of music.

That's a rather lame analogy.

The 1 o'clock lab band evolved from "Fessor Graham's" "Aces of Collegeland" band. And while their music has "evolved" (somewhat....it's still pretty much big band), and they tour nationally and internationally, they still officially perform on campus, during the fall and spring. AND in the venues in which they evolved. Although, when Hayden Fry took over as head coach, they did performed at Texas stadium right before the 1974 North Texas/SMU game in an obvious attempt to help the University put it's best foot forward.

The Drumline evolved as part of the GB. Their venue was the football game! Their routines, as a regular part of the halftime show (as well as game time sideline routines), were a huge source of pride for this University. Especially when they went up against other drumlines (most notably UT).

The 1 o'clock lab band was NEVER part of any other musical organization. It has always been it's own entity. Not so the drumline.

I'm sorry, but unless/until the shows are at Apogee stadium before the North Texas alumni/students/visiting fans, I'm really not interested in seeing the video.

When you talk to people in the drumline community around the world and mention UNT...jaws drop. There are very few groups on campus that consistently represent UNT at such a high standard year in and year out. The members of the drumline work their tails off and put in insane hours to be the best in the world, no excuses. Despite this, you're telling me that because they don't play at football games you aren't interested in the work that they put in, the world-class product they create, or the extraordinary representation they give UNT? That's a shame.

• Upvote 4