Mike Leach to FAU

pastorgrant

When 60 Minutes does a story on any Sun Belt coach....get back to me on how much of no-name Leach is.

John, I agree but that is .... 60 minutes. Maybe the Inquirer will start doing articles on football too. I just as soon our school never be subjected to a 60 minutes spot. Leach is a big name, I agree!

When 60 Minutes does a story on any Sun Belt coach....get back to me on how much of no-name Leach is.

This. Its like admitting Leach is the bigger name, and its really not even close, makes some people think they're spitting in Mac's face. Mac has completely won me over and I love the guy, but really? If we're talking national name recognition, he coached the most irrelevant team in the Big12 North and was Florida's defensive line coach (I realize he was also the Assistant H/C but come on...) Who was UT's D-line coach last year? USC? Ohio St? Who was Minnesota's (or whatever spare BCS school you want to use) H/C in 06?

Its great to love Mac, but there's no need to pretend he's this famous coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

...until Leach has won something

I really don't understand these "all or nothing" arguments against Leach. He did great things in the Big XII, broke records with Hal Mumme, recruited Heupel to OU as OC, beat a #1 team as a HC. But because DMac won a national title as a position coach and has a decent record at ISU, Leach is dog poo in comparison?

I think both are great, but happen to like that DMac seems to be a bit more of a complete package...what with the defensive skins on the wall, our DC and retaining Chico. But that doesn't mean I think Leach hasn't won anything.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

What? What are you trying to do here?

Am I hallucinating? I thought the media freakin' loved putting Leach on TV. Behind OU and UT, I can't think of another Big XII team that was on TV as much while he was there? OSU might come close, but that's it.

you are not hallucinating at all... no doubt he WAS loved by ESPN and other media outlets...

but now he is on ESPN's bad side... and since ESPN control's college football, that creates a problem

you are not hallucinating at all... no doubt he WAS loved by ESPN and other media outlets...

but now he is on ESPN's bad side... and since ESPN control's college football, that creates a problem

I just don't see them blacking him out because they don't get along. If they have an agenda, then they'll put him in a bad light, not pretend he isn't around.

It must have been the year after Iowa State did.

Or sometime close to the time Florida won the national championship with McCarney on staff.

If having your coach on 60-Minutes (or any other news outlet) because he has filed a lawsuit against your university and he is a clown instead of having him on because he won a championship is your idea of a "name" coach well, OK. Sort of like Bernie Madoff is a "big name" because he hit 60-minutes I guess.

I do agree with SUMG and the others who think Leach's name is "recognizable". I really don't think that's the issue here. But, it's recognizable for the wrong reasons...you don't hire a football coach because he sues your school or because he is clown enough to get on 60-Minutes for doing do...you want a Coach with integrity and the ability to raise your program to higher standards and increasing win totals. I fully believe that UNT hired the right guy at the right time. I watched closely what Coach Mac did at Iowa State and I watched his teams beat OSU for the first time in forever. Since he left, OSU has taken Iowa State to task once again. I see Coach mac doing the same thing and with professionalism and class for UNT that he did for Iowa State.

I do agree with SUMG and the others who think Leach's name is "recognizable". I really don't think that's the issue here.

Leach would be great for the SBC due to the recognition factor and his offensive scheme. Which would be successful. He would pull in some good recruits initially and have success. There's no doubt that he would put some butts in seats in Florida.

But he didn't take over a program in the absolute pit of college football success and turn it into a respectable program as McCarney did. He's not half the coach or recruiter that McCarney is, either.

Leach is great for a laugh but he was only marginally more successful at Tech than Dykes. Let me repeat that: Leach was only MARGINALLY more successful at Tech than Dykes. You wouldn't know it from the media lovefest for his "quirky personality" and "innovative offense", though.

Would love to see him in the SBC.

• Upvote 1

Don't know ...

... if they will offer him a job or they won't;

... if he would take an offer or he wouldn't;

... if he would be good for the SBC or he wouldn't.

Do know ...

... that having read his post-Tech book, can confirm that it's ...

... just awful.

And I didn't mean awesome. It's a horrible, 200-page whinefest.

Means he's a bad coach? No. Bad writer, though, and unattractive personality.

Or sometime close to the time Florida won the national championship with McCarney on staff.

If having your coach on 60-Minutes (or any other news outlet) because he has filed a lawsuit against your university and he is a clown instead of having him on because he won a championship is your idea of a "name" coach well, OK. Sort of like Bernie Madoff is a "big name" because he hit 60-minutes I guess.

I do agree with SUMG and the others who think Leach's name is "recognizable". I really don't think that's the issue here. But, it's recognizable for the wrong reasons...you don't hire a football coach because he sues your school or because he is clown enough to get on 60-Minutes for doing do...you want a Coach with integrity and the ability to raise your program to higher standards and increasing win totals. I fully believe that UNT hired the right guy at the right time. I watched closely what Coach Mac did at Iowa State and I watched his teams beat OSU for the first time in forever. Since he left, OSU has taken Iowa State to task once again. I see Coach mac doing the same thing and with professionalism and class for UNT that he did for Iowa State.

The 60 Minutes episode came out before any of the Adam James incident had occurred. More than a year I think. Nice try though!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I love McCarney, I'm glad we hired him.

But if you want to poop on Leach because he hasn't won conference championships... McCarney has won a grand total of 2 outright conference championships in 34 years as a head or assistant coach. One was as a DL coach at Florida in 2008, the other was in 1985 at Iowa as some sort of assistant.

If you don't want to count the one that Leach tied for in 2008, then McCarney only has 2 in 34 years, including zero as a head coach and I believe zero (not sure about Iowa) as a coordinator.

There's more to being a quality coach than outright conference championships. Hell, Dickey won four conference championships, and that doesn't do much to earn him any respect around here.

I like McCarney and he's a hell of a coach. But not by the criteria you keep using to mock and tear down Leach.

If Leach sucks because he didn't win outright championships during his 12 total years coaching at the D1 level... Then McCarney ain't that great, either. Because Leach probably could have picked up 1 or 2 if he'd had an additional 22 cracks at it.

Be consistent.

If Leach sucks because he didn't win outright championships during his 12 total years coaching at the D1 level... Then McCarney ain't that great, either. Because Leach probably could have picked up 1 or 2 if he'd had an additional 22 cracks at it.

Be consistent.

No really, Leach just sucks! As a person of questionale character and as a coach whose ego far outstrips his ability as a coach as demonstrated by his book, his lawsuit, his 60-Min. interview his handling of the entire "player episode", and his team's lack of championships, etc. Strictly my opinion, of course.

Would he benefit the SBC? Maybe. That remains to be seen and is entirely speculation at this point. If he wants to coach again, good for him, and I am more than fine with that as long as it is not at any school that I care a darn about. The guy's a clown and always will be in my book until he proves otherwise...which I don't think will be anytime soon. His ego will keep that from happening. Look, the folks at Tech tired of his antics and his "I am above it all and you don't control me" attitude and they took steps to shed themselevs of the guy the first chance they thought they had. Sometimes you just have to rid yourself of a toxic personality that seems to infect the entire organization. Tech did that...they probably knew the guy would sue them, but they felt it was worth it to rid themselevs of the guy. Perhaps Tech knows more about Leach than most...and from an up close and personal perspective. The "last straw" was not the first embarrassment Leach had brought on Tech, and the administration knew it would not be the last. If some other school is willing to take on the risks of hiring a guy who has a mediocre at best coaching record and who has tried to lay waste to his last school in print and in the courts, then good for them. I wish them well and will be glad he is someone else's headache.

Everyone is free to like or dislike the guy. Me, I'm not a fan!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

No really, Leach just sucks! As a person of questionale character and as a coach whose ego far outstrips his ability as a coach as demonstrated by his book, his lawsuit, his 60-Min. interview his handling of the entire "player episode", and his team's lack of championships, etc.

again... The 60-Min interview had nothing to do with the Adam James situation/lawsuit. It was nothing but positive publicity for a coach and program. I'm not really sure what your problem with the lawsuit is either. Is it not standard practice to sue an employer for non payment of services rendered after dismissal for what you feel is a lack of cause?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

What was so wrong about his 60 Minutes interview? I seem to remember it was really interesting. Hell, even my brother (a non sports guy if there ever was one) was entertained/intrigued enough to ask me about the guy after it aired.

What...you mean your brother had never heard of the guy? Wait, I thought everybody knew about the greatness of Mike Leach? How could he not have known about Leach? According to this thread...everybody knows Leach. He's a big deal, right? Remind me again where he is head coach today? Or assistant coach? Remind me again about all the great championships he had won before Tech canned him?

I just don't get the love affair with this guy, his antics or his mediocre coaching record. If you want a media darling hire Paris Hilton or Snookie or Leach. Egos all about equal so it's a toss up. And, each has won the same number of football championships. If you want a head football coach to be more concerned about building a championship college football program, well, I'll take Coach Mac. But, that's just my opinion. Wake me up when Leach has a coaching job and we'll see how he does. I wish him well...somewhere else.

• Downvote 2

What...you mean your brother had never heard of the guy? Wait, I thought everybody knew about the greatness of Mike Leach? How could he not have known about Leach? According to this thread...everybody knows Leach. He's a big deal, right? Remind me again where he is head coach today? Or assistant coach? Remind me again about all the great championships he had won before Tech canned him?

I just don't get the love affair with this guy, his antics or his mediocre coaching record. If you want a media darling hire Paris Hilton or Snookie or Leach. Egos all about equal so it's a toss up. And, each has won the same number of football championships. If you want a head football coach to be more concerned about building a championship college football program, well, I'll take Coach Mac. But, that's just my opinion. Wake me up when Leach has a coaching job and we'll see how he does. I wish him well...somewhere else.

My brother probably couldn't name anyone associated with sports except maybe Michael Jordon. I doubt he could name one coach in the history of football. Maybe with a name prompt he might have "heard" of Tom Landry or someone like that.

I wouldn't use him to make your point.

I find this disturbing.

Sports just has never been his thing. Typical of sports conversations with my brother.

During NBA Finals:

DRJ: Why are all these people posting about the Mavericks on Facebook?

CMJ: They're in the NBA Finals this year.

DRJ: Have they ever made the playoffs before? Aren't they terrible?

CMJ: They're been good for about 10 years now. Even made the Finals a few years back.

DRJ: Really? (Totally non interested voice) Who knew?

:lol:

Edited by CMJ