New UNT Stadium Naming rights - Apogee

dml7007

I am guessing that no one here is a finance major? UNT is not getting $20 million. It is says the deal will average $1 million per year. If Apogee takes $13.5 million today and invests it in long-term bonds that yield 4.5% per year, it covers the payments for the next 20 years.

On the other hand, if UNT wants to pay off its $80 million and the cost is 4.5%. They have to pay almost $6 million per year for the next $20 years. So this covers maybe 1/6 of the total cost on an annual basis not 1/4.

It is all about the time value of money.

Edited by KyleEaton
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I am guessing that no one here is a finance major? UNT is not getting $20 million. It is says the deal will average $1 million per year. If Apogee takes $13.5 million today and invests it in long-term bonds that yield 4.5% per year, it covers the payments for the next 20 years.

On the other hand, if UNT wants to pay off its $80 million Apogee and the cost is 4.5%. They have to pay almost $6 million per year for the next $20 years. So this covers maybe 1/6 of the total cost on an annual basis not 1/4.

I could be wrong, and most likely am, but I read that the student fee would end once the stadium debt is paid off. So if this is in fact the way the bill reads, my guess is unt would not work very hard to pay it all off or find a way to prolong the end of the student fee. Any body know for sure? Flyer I am looking at you.

Edited by filmerj

On the other hand, if UNT wants to pay off its $80 million and the cost is 4.5%. They have to pay almost $6 million per year for the next $20 years. So this covers maybe 1/6 of the total cost on an annual basis not 1/4.

Also, if they provide a service the university already pays for, who says the deal is all cash?

Oh, and not to kill the lecture, but don't you have to subtract out the part of the stadium the student fee pays for?

• Upvote 1

Wut?

• Upvote 1

Any relation to Beautiful Bobby?

None.

Only one team has a higher per year commitment, and that is Minnesota.

Confused by this, Flyer. Are you saying that the ony university in any division that gets more for their stadium naming rights is Minnesota?

I would be shocked if that were the case.

Confused by this, Flyer. Are you saying that the ony university in any division that gets more for their stadium naming rights is Minnesota?

I would believe this to be correct. How many large schools actually have corporate sponsors for their stadiums? I can only think of Tech in the the area. Area being the southwest

Prepare to be shocked.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/ncf/news/story?id=6687348

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/06/21/naming-rights-on-college-stadiums-and-arenas/

Any finger alignment preference?

Prepare to be shocked.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6687348

http://businessofcol...ums-and-arenas/

Any finger alignment preference?

Reverse it for me. Ooooohhhhhhhh yaaaaaaaa!

Ok, got it now. This is just for company sponsorships. Private gift donations that led to Stadium namings are different (Thinking of Ford Stadium and others).

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Reverse it for me. Ooooohhhhhhhh yaaaaaaaa!

Ok, got it now. This is just for company sponsorships. Private gift donations that led to Stadium namings are different (Thinking of Ford Stadium and others).

Exactly (and nicely done on the horrifying response.)

I know my excitement over this seems almost manic, but I've watched several bigger companies piss away more money on deals they never leverage well. I think this really is a nice mix of need with need.

I know my excitement over this seems almost manic

Everyone should be excited. This is huge news and a great day for UNT. I'm assuming the pronunciation to be a-pO-gEE?

Who knows, this thread may even exceed the fashion thread in page numbers.

Edited by UNT90

Everyone should be excited. This is huge news and a great day for UNT. I'm assuming the pronunciation to be a-pO-gEE?

Who knows, this thread may even exceed the fashion thread in page numbers.

So... $50 million will be committed to university in the month of August.

Edited by UNTflyer

So... $50 million will be committed to university in the month of August.

And I'm sure the new stadium had nothing to do with it.... :rolleyes:

If only we could reward you with a small percentage as a show of appreciation for everyrhing you did to make this possible.

It seems every time I check GMG there is more good news. This is a great deal for North Texas. I'll be glad to drive out to Apogee Stadium and watch the Mean Green play for the next 20 plus years.

Will this injection of naming rights money be counted into the our annual athletic budget every year?

• Upvote 1