Big 12-2/Minus 2 Conference done...how do we benefit

If and when the Big 12 dissolves Texas would most likely go the the PAC 12 and OU, OSU, & Tech would follow. Remember it was just last summer that the then PAC 10 was inviting Texas and they still want them. Wait, what about the Longhorn Network?, Look at how the Pac 12 has structured it's network. It's one national network with six regional networks underneath that. The LHN would fit nicely as one of the regional networks

If and when the Big 12 dissolves Texas would most likely go the the PAC 12 and OU, OSU, & Tech would follow. Remember it was just last summer that the then PAC 10 was inviting Texas and they still want them. Wait, what about the Longhorn Network?, Look at how the Pac 12 has structured it's network. It's one national network with six regional networks underneath that. The LHN would fit nicely as one of the regional networks

Possibly. But, this time around, it's the Pac-12 that holds the key. Texas left them at the alter last year.

I think Texas and ESPN are crazy enough to think they can go solo.

• Upvote 2

Texas turned down that PAC10 invite because they wanted to start their own network and the PAC10 said it would be a conference network or nothing. Part of keeping the Big 12 together was allowing TLN. Beebe did every other team in the conference a disservice and the other schools gave it a try but are quickly becoming fed up with it and it hasn't even broadcast one game.

Texas turned down that PAC10 invite because they wanted to start their own network and the PAC10 said it would be a conference network or nothing. Part of keeping the Big 12 together was allowing TLN. Beebe did every other team in the conference a disservice and the other schools gave it a try but are quickly becoming fed up with it and it hasn't even broadcast one game.

Last year, when Beebe "saved" the conference, no one really knew what the Longhorn Network would entail. Now, the cat's out of the bag. And, I mean, way out of the bag:

-High school games, especially the UIL playoffs and championships

-Badgering teams into giving to the LHN television rights to games they play against Texas

-The possibility of making other Big 12 schools' fan pay to watch their team against other OOCs (the absurd offer to Tech to televise their game against Nevada this year).

It's just stupid. There's no way the Pac-12 doesn't sniff all of that out. Other than A&M and OU, everyone else in the Big 12 kind of had to follow along last year.

I don't see Texas walking into the Pac-12 and telling USC it wants the rights to the games they play against one another. I just don't see them doing it to anyone in that league. Hell, Colorado already bailed out on Texas once. They surely won't sit for it.

And, if OU, OSU, and Tech don't want it in the Big 12, why would they stand for the same set-up in a Pac-16?

Like I said before, Texas and ESPN have overplayed their hands here. If they're going to join a conference, they'll have to give up the idea that they're going to lord it over everyone else.

Yes, in the end, to go along, Texas is going to have finally bite the bullet and get along with somebody. Or, go sink into independent oblivion.

Bonkers.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

We always seem to get a few more registered fans come every new season. Welcome to the board.

Let's ask him what his thoughts on black jerseys and helmet stickers are.

I think that once you have Super Conferences, you draw closer to a playoff.

Yes, but is there anyway on God's green earth that a school from a non superconference gets an invite to the playoffs?

Apparently, Rick Perry, has confirmed knowledge of current, ongoing discussions between A&M and the SEC. It's been reported on several major news sites in Texas, including the dallasnews.com, chron.com:

Gov. Perry confirms rumored A&M to SEC chatter

****edit - posted before I saw a separate thread on GMG already mentioned this.***

Austin American-Statesman's Bohls tweeted a couple of hours ago:

"Was told if A&M bolts to SEC, Big 12 could look at Notre Dame and Arkansas (no chance on either IMO), BYU, Air Force, Louisville or Houston

I agree. I think if A&M leaves, the Big 12 would dissolve. It's not just A&M that is unhappy with the LHN. No school in the league appears willing to embrace it.

I agree. I think if A&M leaves, the Big 12 would dissolve. It's not just A&M that is unhappy with the LHN. No school in the league appears willing to embrace it.

And, that's the crux of it...who would embrace it? What other conference?

As far as the other current member of the Big 12, they look around and don't see Michigan trying to lord it over the Big Ten, or Alabama or Florida trying to lord it over the SEC, or USC trying to lord it over the Pac-12, or Miami or Florida State trying to lord it over the ACC.

So, if none of these traditional powers are trying to squash their conference mates, why would any school president or athletic director in the Big 12 say, "Yeah, but it's okay with us"?

It's nuts.

The inane Longhorn comeback to all of this has been, basically, "OU and A&M should stop whining and form their own network." How stupid is that? Everybody starts a networks, so that all college games essentially become pay-per-view? Show the me cable system that will carry 120 different school channels.

It's so stupid you really start to wonder if anyone down in Austin or up in Bristol really, seriously thought through what they were doing. They're seriously starting to look like Gale and Evelle Snoats holding up the hayseed bank in Raising Arizona.

That's why I think Texas becomes a man without a country if A&M and OU bail on the Big 12. It's pure fantasy to think anyone else is going to accept it in a new conference.

ESPN and Texas try to pull one over on the college football world.http://movieclips.com/saxz-raising-arizona-movie-hayseed-robbery/

• Upvote 1

As of right now, on the outside looking in. We need to do everything possible to be with the big boys when the superdivision is created.

I don't agree. Even if the Big 12 dissolved and all of those schools found homes in super conferences elsewhere, you're still talking about 14 'open' spots. The Dallas market, the facilities we've invested in, and being a 25 minute drive from one of the largest airports in the country, I feel pretty comfortable we'd be in the 14.

Our problem up until now has been Fouts. If we'd had Mean Green Stadium in 2004, I guarantee we'd be planning tailgating for our yearly rivalry games with SMU, Houston, and Tulsa right now.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

If aTm bolts to the SEC, Texas will immediately look either back to the PACX, or into forming another conference or alliance with Notre Dame. This was discussed last year as a possibility, and it's no coincidence that both UT and OU have ND on their upcoming schedules.

Those that think that the PACX won't come right back to the table with a big grin on their face, while doing backflips to get a piece of the Texas TV are crazy. This is business, and the LHN "issue" would be resolved.

If aTm wants to make the move to the SEC, that's great for them. It might be the best thing that ever happened to them, and it might also bring their program to its knees competitively and ethically.

Chip Brown:

"If Texas A&M was to leave, Dodds said the Big 12 might seek to bring in another school. Dodds also said if there was not sentiment to hold the Big 12 together by the remaining members that Texas and possibly Notre Dame could join forces to create a new conference.

Dodds gave no indication that Texas would pursue the possibility of becoming an independent.

A top administrator at another Big 12 school said the possibility of some Big 12 schools talking to the Pac-12 could become a reality again if Texas A&M was to bolt for the SEC.

In short, everyone in the Big 12 is back in scramble mode until Texas A&M makes clear what its intentions are.

"

aTm wants a chair when the music stops, and is holding their breath to get what they perceive they want. The other schools are waiting to see what they do.

To think that Texas, OU, and ESPN haven't entertained the possibility of the Ags going schizo and haven't planned an alternative path is kind of silly. aTm already pitched a fit last year.

Chip Brown:

"If Texas A&M was to leave, Dodds said the Big 12 might seek to bring in another school. Dodds also said if there was not sentiment to hold the Big 12 together by the remaining members that Texas and possibly Notre Dame could join forces to create a new conference.

Dodds gave no indication that Texas would pursue the possibility of becoming an independent.

A top administrator at another Big 12 school said the possibility of some Big 12 schools talking to the Pac-12 could become a reality again if Texas A&M was to bolt for the SEC.

In short, everyone in the Big 12 is back in scramble mode until Texas A&M makes clear what its intentions are.

"[/

See what I mean? It's somehow going to be ALL a&m's fault despite tU doing ALL it could to hold the Minus 2 together. It's like the liberals trying to convince the rest of us they do everything "for the children"..

No one's falling for it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

Here's a bit more:

"A Big 12 administrator just told me the conference can survive with 9 teams through 2015-16, when the Big 12's ABC/ESPN contract is up.

That same administrator said if the Big 12 had to replace Texas A&M that TCU might be a strong candidate."

Here's a bit more:

"A Big 12 administrator just told me the conference can survive with 9 teams through 2015-16, when the Big 12's ABC/ESPN contract is up.

That same administrator said if the Big 12 had to replace Texas A&M that TCU might be a strong candidate."

They could have and should have replaced Nebraska and/or Colorado with the Frogs, but didn't do it when they had plenty of time last year. Had TCU even remotely had heard a whisper from the Big 12 a year ago they would have jumped on it.

Rick

Here's a bit more:

they would have to give some serious money to TCU... because I'd have to imagine they signed a contract with a hefty fee if they break it...

This is scuttlebutt, but the source is fairly good. Pure speculation though--in keeping with this thread.

"When the Conference Shuffle Crisis went down at the end of '09/beginning of '10, Texas & Notre Dame had a meeting of the minds and agreed that if the Big XII ever imploded, they'd give serious consideration to starting a new conference from scratch w/ OU...what I can tell you is Notre Dame is interested IF realignment is a reality. Their qualifications are that they want some in conference rivalries, and BC and Pitt are the choices to fill those roles if anything goes down.

It was never mentioned in the media, but Miami is not content in the ACC. It hasn't been what they hoped it would be, and (they) are interested in partnering w/ Texas on anything they do. I don't know how substantive the conversations have been, but if Texas/Notre Dame goes down, Miami will be sitting at the table.

Beyond that, I don't know about other teams, aside from the fact that you know OSU and Tech, and possibly Baylor will be included...Clemson would leap off a tall building if it meant landing in a Texas/Notre Dame conference. They want SEC too, but it's just not going to happen for them.

If I had to guess - total guess - I think you'd see the following when the smoke cleared:

Texas

Notre Dame

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Pittsburgh

Boston College

Miami

Missouri

Texas Tech

Baylor

Clemson

GA Tech, Maryland or NC State - I think GA Tech gets the nod due to their relationship w/ Notre Dame"

It was never mentioned in the media, but Miami is not content in the ACC. It hasn't been what they hoped it would be, and (they) are interested in partnering w/ Texas on anything they do. I don't know how substantive the conversations have been, but if Texas/Notre Dame goes down, Miami will be sitting at the table.

Has Miami been what the ACC hoped they would be? If I'm a commish, I'm so torn on them: title contenders every now and then, Florida market, but crappy crowds and shady history w/NCAA.

• Upvote 2

This is scuttlebutt, but the source is fairly good. Pure speculation though--in keeping with this thread.

"When the Conference Shuffle Crisis went down at the end of '09/beginning of '10, Texas & Notre Dame had a meeting of the minds and agreed that if the Big XII ever imploded, they'd give serious consideration to starting a new conference from scratch w/ OU...what I can tell you is Notre Dame is interested IF realignment is a reality. Their qualifications are that they want some in conference rivalries, and BC and Pitt are the choices to fill those roles if anything goes down.

Beyond that, I don't know about other teams, aside from the fact that you know OSU and Tech, and possibly Baylor will be included...Clemson would leap off a tall building if it meant landing in a Texas/Notre Dame conference. They want SEC too, but it's just not going to happen for them.

If I had to guess - total guess - I think you'd see the following when the smoke cleared:

Texas

Notre Dame

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Pittsburgh

Boston College

Miami

Missouri

Texas Tech

Baylor

Clemson

GA Tech, Maryland or NC State - I think GA Tech gets the nod due to their relationship w/ Notre Dame"

This is absurd--even if it has "some" legitimacy. So we are just going to take apart teams from every conference to join Notre Dame and Texas. If this was football only, it "might" have some merit, albeit very little, but this is beyond dumb for the majority of those schools. ND and Texas have more than clearly shown to the entire world that they care only about themselves.

If you want to see the Big XII stay together or intact, the only option that they have is to get Notre Dame and BYU in here. You can easily survive if A&M leaves with both of those schools being in the mix. Add another school, you get back to 12 and you are in great shape. Hell, UH is probably salivating at this possibility, as they would probably be the A&M replacement in Texas if the scenario I just posted about was to take place. You would get ND, KU, K-State, Mizzou, ISU, and BYU in the North, while OU, OSU, Texas, Tech, Baylor, and Houston would be in the South. This is a pipedream, too, though, because if the Aggies bolt, this thing is done--just a matter of whether Texas joins Pac-12 or goes Independent.

I think what people are forgetting is that no matter what happens, Texas isn't going to be "left out in the cold"

If Texas wanted to join the SEC, the SEC would be glad to have them. Same for the PAC whatever.

Hate them as you will, but there are few programs in the nation that are a bigger "get" than Texas for ANY conference.

I also don't see anyone going it alone. Texas isn't going to resign itself to some second tier conference in all over sports just to go indy in foot all. You can't schedule an independent baseball team, basketball, etc. Alum would never go for it.

The Big 12 may die, but all this talk about Texas dying with it are misguided pipe dreams. If anything dies, it will be the LHN.

• Upvote 4

It's like the liberals trying to convince the rest of us they do everything "for the children"..

No one's falling for it.

OR, it's like the conservatives trying to convince the rest of us everything they do isn't for the rich.

Oddly enough, many fall for it.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2