"Forgotten Legends" Series

UNTflyer

http://collegehoopsnet.com/jon-teitels-forgotten-legends-series-north-texas-kenneth-lyons-169281

JT: Do you think that anyone will ever break your scoring and rebounding records?

KL: I do not think that anyone will ever break my records. If a player is good enough now as I was back then, there is no way they would go to North Texas.

dry.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Doesn't sound like Kenny.

As far as a player of his caliber not going to UNT, no need to look any further than Tony Mitchell. Not saying Mitchell will break Kenny's records or anything like that, but I wowuld bet Tony was higher rated coming out of high school than Kenny.

If we had Tony for the whole 4 years, it would be interesting to see if Kenny's rebounding record survived. I don't think anyone will ever get near his scoring record.

*I know: Although Mitchell is at UNT, we were not his first choice.

Doesn't sound like Kenny.

As far as a player of his caliber not going to UNT, no need to look any further than Tony Mitchell. Not saying Mitchell will break Kenny's records or anything like that, but I wowuld bet Tony was higher rated coming out of high school than Kenny.

If we had Tony for the whole 4 years, it would be interesting to see if Kenny's rebounding record survived. I don't think anyone will ever get near his scoring record.

*I know: Although Mitchell is at UNT, we were not his first choice.

Doesn't sound like we were Kenny's first choice either. I like WFAA Story Kenny better than this Kenny.

I completely agree that his scoring record will not be broken. If someone comes in and lights it up like that during their Fr. & Soph. (and if we're lucky, Jr.) seasons, that player will be drafted. Although I bet he was sweating at the end of the '02-'03 season (Chris Davis was within 100 pts of him when his career ended).

The rebounding record...? Ken LYONS does not own that record.

http://collegehoopsnet.com/jon-teitels-forgotten-legends-series-north-texas-kenneth-lyons-169281

JT: Do you think that anyone will ever break your scoring and rebounding records?

KL: I do not think that anyone will ever break my records. If a player is good enough now as I was back then, there is no way they would go to North Texas.

dry.gif

Let's just go ahead and forget about him again.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

Let's find out from Kenny what was actually said in the interview. Those who know him best are telling me there's no F'ing way in hell Kenny would come across as arrogant as this guy is making him out to be.

Rick

Without the specific quote mentioned, I think the guy is just proud of what he accomplished and an athlete that left it all out when he was here. I would agree that the article doesn't paint Kenny in a humble light, though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lyons was one tough player and arguably the best ever at NT. However, I still would go with Joe Hamilton. I do wonder what All American team Lyons was ever on. You don't make AA on a mediocre Southland or independent.team no matter how good you are.

I don't remember any NT player as tough as Lyons was.

Let's find out from Kenny what was actually said in the interview. Those who know him best are telling me there's no F'ing way in hell Kenny would come across as arrogant as this guy is making him out to be.

Rick

I know Kenneth and the context which this blog portrays him is bunk! He loves North Texas and is a very humble person.

Kenny worked very hard on his shooting and inside game, but he will also tell you much of his success is due to assists-leader Pat Hicks feeding him the ball and Coach Bill Blakeley giving him the confidence to be a leader.

He attends UNT games now and supports the program with a passion few if any other former player displays.

It is well past time we honor his success (and the men's program for once) at North Texas and retire his jersey!

While we're at it, it would also be a good time to name the SuperPit court Bill Blakeley Court in his honor.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

While we're at it, it would also be a good time to name the SuperPit court Bill Blakeley Court in his honor.

I love Blakeley's legacy as much as anyone can that did not personally witness it. But, I'm not on board with naming the court after anyone at this time. I'm not sure anyone has earned that honor. Especially since we've never had a coach win an NCAA tournament game.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Rick

Rick, agree 100%. This does not sound like Kenny Lyons. I have always heard him speak in positive terms about UNT and his experience while playing for UNT. He seems way to nice and way too humble a guy to have make a comment like that attributed to him. I'd like to hear what he has to say about the quote. That's not the Kenny Lyons I have talked to on numerous occasions.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Postseason wins? Heck, why not just wait and name it after the coach who wins the National Championship for UNT?

How about sometimes you honor players or coaches because of what they did to bring national exposure to the program and not just wait for the playoff victories?

I think court naming should be given to people who donate 7 figure checks to the program. Call me old fashion.

Who says we can't have it all?

0620unt.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I know Kenneth and the context which this blog portrays him is bunk! He loves North Texas and is a very humble person.

Kenny worked very hard on his shooting and inside game, but he will also tell you much of his success is due to assists-leader Pat Hicks feeding him the ball and Coach Bill Blakeley giving him the confidence to be a leader.

He attends UNT games now and supports the program with a passion few if any other former player displays.

It is well past time we honor his success (and the men's program for once) at North Texas and retire his jersey!

There is no rationale after retiring two Women players jerseys that the same should not be done for Lyons and a few other men players. Mitchell and Reedes (sp) were great players but I am not sure ether should have had their jerseys retired. To me to get an honor like that should require national prominence and in NT case would probably limit that honor to Joe Greene and perhaps Abner Haynes.

Bill Blakeley was a colorful coach who won primarily with an inherited team and once those players graduated was basically a .500 coach and was terminated. Bill was fun and his teams played exciting basketball but the facts are that he just never could recruit well enough to being even close to the record he had with Robbins/Tubbs recruits. Blakeley's lack of success in recruiting was no doubt do to very restricted resources, university going independent, and the rampant recruiting cheating in those days. His pubic complaining about lack of resources was probably a big factor in his firing. Blakeley was honored as a NT HOF selection. A honor he deserves, but IMO his record does not merit more. Unfortunately, the days of naming sports venues without large donations involved is just about gone. As in the case of the Dickey practice field fiasco, money does talk.

• Upvote 2

Postseason wins? Heck, why not just wait and name it after the coach who wins the National Championship for UNT?

How about sometimes you honor players or coaches because of what they did to bring national exposure to the program and not just wait for the playoff victories?

Simmah donna?

You mean people like Mean Joe Greene and Fry? If so, I agree. Call me new-fashion, but I don't think Blakeley is in the same tier as those guys. If I never read this message board, I wouldn't know his name. Most of my UNT friends wouldn't have a clue.

It's only my opinion. Not trying to stir the pot :)

National prominence? We were in the Top 20 for two weeks in his time in Denton. That is amazing considering we've never reached that level since, but it's hardly nationally prominent. Could you name all the schools that were in the Top 25 for three weeks or less last basketball season?

Blakeley has the best winning percentage for a coach we've ever had (at least among those with several seasons). But he's third in wins, and never reached or won a postseason game.

People always say we need higher standards at NT. Naming the court after Blakeley would hardly debunk that thought.

On the other hand, retire Lyons jersey already. Now that he's graduated there is no excuse.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3