UTAlmost

WIFE2HOT4U

IS UTalmost really getting this big? and football soon? If we ever get passed by them I will be very :angry:

From star telegram:

WAC sees whole new ballgame on UTA campus

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/07/14/3222925/wac-sees-whole-new-ballgame-on.html#ixzz1SDB26cAh

Well, what about Arlington?

The University of Texas at Arlington is expected to welcome 36,000 students to campus this fall, making it the state's fourth largest university.

This isn't your uncle's UTA. Having long ago shed its commuter school label, today's UTA houses a greater percentage of its students on-campus than UT Austin. It has 90,000 alumni who live in the North Texas area.

Benson saw the differences two weeks ago, when he toured the campus.

"I wasn't expecting the amount of structural change that I saw," he said. "The College Park Project is going to be a key to the whole growth of the university.

"I was impressed with the energy and the vision that president [James] Spaniolo has. When I reported back to the WAC board of directors the day after I was here, my comments were not just positive, but that this was something we needed to do."

In terms of familiar faces, the WAC is indeed a shadow of its former self. But the league has history going for it. It has its name.

And maybe most importantly, it has a TV contract with ESPN.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/07/14/3222925/wac-sees-whole-new-ballgame-on.html#ixzz1SDB7ohGa

From UTAlmost website: (Ave age is 27 - are they really going to have any school spirit?)

The student population is non-traditional in many ways. Most students enter UT Arlington as transfers, many with 60 or more hours already completed. The average age of students in fall 2010 was 27, and 43 percent were enrolled on a part-time basis. According to the 2008 Student Survey, 69 percent of UT Arlington students hold jobs, with 32 percent working 21 or more hours per week. It should be noted, however, that the cohort of traditional first-time freshman is growing. The size of the incoming freshman class has almost doubled since 2000, reaching 2,805 in fall 2010. These students have an average age of 18, almost all attend full-time, and about 53 percent of first-time freshmen live in campus residence halls or apartments.

http://wweb.uta.edu/catalog/content/general/about_uta.aspx

BTW - I grew up in ATOWN so I am allowed to dislike UTAlmost, trust me I'm not the only one. It's a joke - decent acadimics I give tehm that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

No shit it has more living on campus than UT Austin. UT Austin has no room for dorms, everyone lives off campus within 2 or 3 miles. If you look at a 3 mile radius population it will be a much larger % for Austin. Plus, a ton of UTA on campus are the foreign students.

They won't pass us by, believe me.

Edited by MDH

I don't think any one from UNT hates UTA whatsoever...it wasn't their fault that Karl Benson trumped us for not joining his league by adding them to his "on again-off again-on again" conference.

I do look for UTA to add football in the next 5 years because of the WAC membership. Fact is for those of us who aren't old-theimer'ed out just yet that we remember how we played many close football games with UTA as I recall. Even in our last game with them during their last season Chuck Curtis's Maverick team gave us all we wanted. I think now would be a good time for them to change mascot names, too, since so many others have. (Come on, Duck, get back with your Prez' Spaniolo (sp?) on that. Tell him DFW already has a team called Mavericks albeit they stole if from yall, right?:)

Even Hayden Fry's first game as NT coach UTA schooled us quite well at Texas Stadium. The game was not a pretty sight for those of us who always want good things to happen for the team in green, but those apple green unis' back in that day and Rick Spear's flying worm were real neat. I can sitll remember seeing them come onto the field in such colors in Fry's first game to coach at the "double F" word.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 3

I like UTA and our rivalry with them in basketball. I remember when we played them in football. If they ever become strong we can look at partnering in conference with them either in the WAC or SBC. The future is bright for the Mean Green and options are only going to grow richer.

GMG

I like UTA and our rivalry with them in basketball. I remember when we played them in football. If they ever become strong we can look at partnering in conference with them either in the WAC or SBC. The future is bright for the Mean Green and options are only going to grow richer.

GMG

Aim high!

:thumbsu:

• Upvote 1

Plumm and Meangreeneagle, I appreciate you guys taking the high road regarding our two schools' rivalry. I agree it will be good for all concerned if UTA competes well in the WAC and adds FB. We had some good contests over the years. Remember, if we ruined your first game with Fry, you guys beat us at our place when we opened the stadium in 1981. It was the biggest crowd we ever had....sigh. So I think you more than got the upper hand.

I have no influence over Spaniolo. He's playing his cards very close to the vest. I think the motivation is there for him to support "Tier One" athletics. If/when we get our team back, it will be because he sees some long-term financial and prestige benefits.

By the way, it should have been "due to" not "do to".