At what point does the WAC become a good option?

shaft

I don't ever want us to be locked into a situation like La Tech where we never say never, because everybody can see that it makes a ton of sense for La Tech to be in the Belt. However, they cannot come back without eating some major crow. But I just don't think the WAC will be strong enough for us in the future. We are much more likely to head to the Mountain West or become part of a new Southwest Conference than we do going to the WAC. The WAC would need to stabilize, which I anticipate it will now that it won't be hemorraging programs to another league. But those programs in the WAC would need to become very strong and look how long it has taken the Troy's and Middles of the world to garner some national respect. So the WAC in 10 years with a couple of solid programs like La Tech and Texas State might draw our attention, but by that time we would have multiple decades of affiliation with other programs like Arkie State, ULL, Middle, FIU, FAU and a new program in South Alabama that should rise. The WAC has major work ahead of itself and in ten years I believe we will already be sitting in a higher level conference or a Sun Belt that has passed CUSA and is rivaling the Mountain West for non BCS superiority. Will there even be a BCS in 10 years.

GMG

But if the conference as a whole moves up don't we all move up?

The SBC is stable because conference teams have no place to go. The SBC isn't getting better, the WAC just got bad in a hurry. Our university needs to get out of the SBC as soon as possible. We're keeping bad company. Momma warned us about that.

Edited by GTWT
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Never say never, but the WAC in 2012 could be the worst fb conference ever. Instead of conjuring up a scenario where the WAC establishes a semi-strong Eastern Division, it is just as likely that the Belt could do the same with an Western Division. The most obvious conclusion has always been a merger or swap between CUSA and the Belt. It will never happen because of the egos involved but a combination of the Western Belt and CUSA teams to form a conference and the same in the East would benefit everyone. This could be created as just being membership changes in Belt and CUSA conferences and they would not even lose their historical status with the NCAA.

The most likely outcome however is that over the next few years, a few of the Belt teams will leave and the remaining Belt will replace them with a UTSA, TSSM, GA State, etc. I just hope that NT is one of those moving up.

Edited by GrandGreen

A CUSA swap won't happen because of economics. No CUSA program is going to give up the bigger payout.

I'm not sure the WAC ever becomes a better option for UNT.

It would take the WAC creating a central time zone division to make it feasible (which could happen by 2016 when UTA adds football).

WAC - East

LA Tech

UTSA

TXST

UTA

UNT

UL-L

WAC - West

SJSU

ID

USU

NMSU

Montana

Montana St

But I don't think that's a better option than

Choice A. UNT moves into CUSA because the Big East takes a CUSA member

Choice B. 12 Team SBC, adding LA Tech & one other (NMSU/TXST/UTSA/UTA)

Wow that lineup does not excite me. I just don't have any desire to partner with Idaho and SJSU or Utah State in the future, unless it is USU in the Mountain West which they will head to eventually - it makes perfect sense for them to transition to that league.

I just think programs like FIU, FAU, Troy, Middle and Arkie State have so much more upside than any of those WAC programs. I don't even think La Tech brings much to the table anymore. The SBC is a heck of a lot stronger than the new WAC and the modified WAC of the future.

Even ULL in their down days gets me more excited than Seattle or any of the Montana schools.

Mean Green Rising Up!

GMG