Mike Leach Re-visited

SHOSS

Ok, I just heard the musers talking about this subject on the ticket... cause that is where I get all my news(of course this probably discredits me forever but I'm ok with that)

Anyways, I want to preface this thread by saying that I LOVE McCarney and his newly assembled staff. So, this is NOT to say that I am not very enthusiastic about the potential this group has for U of NT...

BUT, with what is coming out(of course this is Leach's take on things) about info from the mouth of Adam James, do any of you that didn't want anything to do with the Angry Pirate when we were going through the hiring process want a redo?

I would have loved to have Leach(remember my preface about how much I do like McCarney)... I was just curious.

Go Mean Green...The hot months are upon us and the sun is starting to win... With Football comes cooler weather...eventually...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Uhhhmmmm. No. Leach is a douche. I can only speculate based on heresay of friends in Lubbock, but Leach would have eventually self destructed. You can argue that he did self destruct.

About Leach in Lubbock:

"Tech's drinking coach has a football problem."

• Upvote 2

Those who say they don't want Leach are out of their mind. I love the Coach Mac hire but would take on Leach any day. I want to win and honestly, I feel more confident Leach would bring that than Coach Mac.

That said, I agree, Leach wouldn't come here for what we're paying. Period. It was never an option.

Lets all buy an extra set of season tickets and maybe things will change.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Why's that?

Not sure. Again, I'm not hating on coach Mac. I know we're headed in the right direction under him. But given the option between the two I think Leach ramps up recruiting quicker, gives us a bigger name in college football, and some much needed swagger in the Sunbelt.

I hesitate even responding because there's really no point in even having this discussion and Coach Mac is the freakin man.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I still feel the same way about the guy that I felt several months ago.

"He's a clown. And he's not that great a recruiter, either. He doesn't care about defense or special teams. His teams are undisciplined, and he has a tendency to lose his locker room frequently, which means his teams usually drop 1 or 2 games they should win easily.

Frankly, I think he was only marginally more successful than Dykes, which his record shows. But, he slings the thing all over the field, and the 59-48 scores look impressive."

• Upvote 1

There are easy ways to get recruits and eventual victories (signing big name baffons) and then there are elbow sleeves rolled up ways to get those same outcomes (the DMac way) and I look forward to the day when we see what DMac has accomplished from the ground up!

Not that Leach was a possibility but.........No.

0819_sell-soul-devil_390x220.jpg

I was a huge fan of bringing the pirate to UNT bc we built a new ship and needed a captain, but couldnt be more thrilled with Mac leading this team.

I think bringing Leach here would of instantly been better, just because of his national reputation and recent success. He brought a team from the middle of west Texas with nothing, to a program that is national recognized.

But long term, I think Mac will be better. Mac did the same thing in Ames but that happened back in 2005 and people just dont remember that far back (nationally). Mac brought the spark that the team needed, once the team found out that some guy with a 52-84(?) record is the coach, they assumed this guy wasn't qualified. After he was hired and spoke to the team, those reactions were quickly turned around. He spoke from the heart and showed his passion and drive about bringing success to North Texas. He instantly made this team believe that he will turn this program around.

I cant wait to see what Mac and Co bring, because I know it will be 10x better than what UNT has had in the past 20 years

I was a huge fan of bringing the pirate to UNT bc we built a new ship and needed a captain, but couldnt be more thrilled with Mac leading this team.

I think bringing Leach here would of instantly been better, just because of his national reputation and recent success. He brought a team from the middle of west Texas with nothing, to a program that is national recognized.

But long term, I think Mac will be better. Mac did the same thing in Ames but that happened back in 2005 and people just dont remember that far back (nationally). Mac brought the spark that the team needed, once the team found out that some guy with a 52-84(?) record is the coach, they assumed this guy wasn't qualified. After he was hired and spoke to the team, those reactions were quickly turned around. He spoke from the heart and showed his passion and drive about bringing success to North Texas. He instantly made this team believe that he will turn this program around.

I cant wait to see what Mac and Co bring, because I know it will be 10x better than what UNT has had in the past 20 years

I agree and I am a Leach fan, and long term you are correct. But Leach would have been a hell of a media ride and he would have sold out the stadium for a year or two. Yes as soon as Leach had success he would have been gone. Mac, I think he is here for the long run and probably is a better all around coach.

• Upvote 1

I agree and I am a Leach fan, and long term you are correct. But Leach would have been a hell of a media ride and he would have sold out the stadium for a year or two. Yes as soon as Leach had success he would have been gone. Mac, I think he is here for the long run and probably is a better all around coach.

this is the smartest post so far... if someone like leach had come here it would have just been a springboard for him to get a better job... regardless of success he would use the job to show that he is on good behavior and would have been looking elsewhere the whole time...

McCarney seems like he is genuinely determined to rebuild this program and see the job done

I am more than satisfied with McCarney

Leach is a rogue. Hiring a rogue head coach was the last thing that North Texas needed at that point in time - well, actually, at any point in time!

All of the perceived benefits of hiring him would not have been worth the angst that would have undoubtably arisen.

Winning is important - winning the right way, and with class, is far more important.

• Upvote 3

Leach is a rogue. Hiring a rogue head coach was the last thing that North Texas needed at that point in time - well, actually, at any point in time!

All of the perceived benefits of hiring him would not have been worth the angst that would have undoubtably arisen.

Winning is important - winning the right way, and with class, is far more important.

Amen. Plus 1 for you, Sir.

And, contrary to some other posters, I do not see a Leach hire as a sure thing in selling out the stadium. I think Coach McCarney is a much MUCH better overall selection for UNT than a Leach hire ever would have been. If Leach is so great, why is he still in the broadcast booth? Lots of teams have looked for and hired new head coaches since Tech did the right thing and fired the guy....Maryland, Ohio State, etc., etc., etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1