when I see NTSU it's on forum sites, and we ALL know the cool thing to do is call a school by its old name that it was embarassed of enough to make a name change. I'll never understand why this is cool and I roll my eyes whenever I see GMG posters using TSUSM or SWTSUSM, etc.

What's wrong with calling TSUSM by their actual name? The real TSU has been located in Houston for many decades.

I agree that it's time to push the "UNT" branding name over "NT" or simply "North Texas". It may take awhile before the acronym gets recognized nationally, but we might as well just bite the bullet now and start shoving it down the media's collective throats. If some ignorant child wants to put a "C" in front of our name it won't bother me a bit.

i honestly think your wrong when you say people will know what UNT is. I love UNT and think we should use UNT but most people have no clue what that stands for. When i tell people i went to school, i tell people North Texas, becuase if i say UNT, they will say Northern Tennessee? North Toledo? North Tallahassee?....Most honestly have no clue UNT means North Texas. Once we WIN on a CONSISTANT basis, they will know. But for now as much as i would like to see us have UNT on all our stuff, im ok with North Texas. Just my two cents!

But once we start winning on a consistent basis AS UNT, wouldn't "UNT" be more likely to stick in their heads? Just a thought.

NTSU doesn't bother me, it tells me those people payed attention to North Texas when we were good. UNT doesn't bother me, it tells me people payed attention to us when we changed our name. I went to North Texas, because it's the University of North Texas, and everything else sounds dumb to me. Putting a "U" on it is understood. Everyone does it.

When I went to then NTSU, we called it North Texas. Now that I am an alumni of UNT, we call it North Texas. When we beat Ball State in our opening game a couple of years ago, someone at work called us good; I want to hear us called that all season long, and soon.

• Upvote 2

When I went to then NTSU, we called it North Texas. Now that I am an alumni of UNT, we call it North Texas. When we beat Ball State in our opening game a couple of years ago, someone at work called us good; I want to hear us called that all season long, and soon.

I'm with you.

THIS!

My little theory is this: Universities that have many syllables in their names (not counting "University") naturally tend to be referred to by their initials: UAB, UCLA, SMU, UCF, UNC, etc. It's just easier for people to use the initials. Obviously there are many exceptions.

I don't think schools make a concerted effort to use one or the other, it's just how it is. North Texas is a quick name to verbalize. Plus, its got a nice "ring" to it.

Regarding the UNT vs North Texas debate, I realize that most people on this board are in the North Texas region, but I suggest that "UNT" will mean nothing to people in most parts of the country.

• Upvote 1

Regarding the UNT vs North Texas debate, I realize that most people on this board are in the North Texas region, but I suggest that "UNT" will mean nothing to people in most parts of the country.

Which is, again, proven wrong because sports people still say NTSU to refer to us. If we went by UNT, they'd call us UNT and everyone would know what it meant.

This, again (and again and again), is the other huge fallacy - people won't know what it means. What followers of college football can't make the connection between a school and its acronym? Be realistic.

People who follow college football know the 120 teams that make up the FBS. They are not confused by acronyms. To the contrary, they use them all the time. UNT isn't difficult.

Posted months and months ago, even if you considered the stupidest of fans and commentators, there is no other UNT anywhere else anyway to get us mixed up with. It's not the problem our athletic department thinks it would be.

It would raise our profile and bring us into the final decade of the 20th century. I figure we're roughly 25 years behind the curve here. But, we can hope.

UAB, University of Alabama at Birmingham. Know as UAB

UCLA, University of California at Los Angles. Know as UCLA

USC, University of Southern California. Southern Cal. Know as USC or Southern Cal.

TCU, Texas Christian University. Know as TCU.

SMU, Southern Methodist University. Know as SMU.

Each of the above schools official name is a mouth full.

Being very new to the University of North Texas this is the way I see this question on what the University is called. One year ago I could not have told you if the official name was University of North Texas (UNT) or North Texas University (NTU), but I knew North Texas was the Mean Green and was a member of the SunBelt Conference and that Joe Greene had played for North Texas.

When acronym are used most people have to think. When members of this board use UT they think of a cow school and I think of the Vol's.

As a former outsider who's opinion probably means nothing. People will know who North Texas is and will have to think of what UNT means.

• Upvote 4

UAB, University of Alabama at Birmingham. Know as UAB

UCLA, University of California at Los Angles. Know as UCLA

USC, University of Southern California. Southern Cal. Know as USC or Southern Cal.

TCU, Texas Christian University. Know as TCU.

SMU, Southern Methodist University. Know as SMU.

Each of the above schools official name is a mouth full.

Being very new to the University of North Texas this is the way I see this question on what the University is called. One year ago I could not have told you if the official name was University of North Texas (UNT) or North Texas University (NTU), but I knew North Texas was the Mean Green and was a member of the SunBelt Conference and that Joe Greene had played for North Texas.

When acronym are used most people have to think. When members of this board use UT they think of a cow school and I think of the Vol's.

As a former outsider who's opinion probably means nothing. People will know who North Texas is and will have to think of what UNT means.

This.

And not all schools use acronyms to be known.

Cal does not go by UCB

Alabama does not go by UA or AU (couldn't tell you which one was right)

Auburn doesn't go by UA or AU (again, don't know which applies)

Arkansas doesn't go by UA or AU (see above)

Florida doesn't go by UF or FU

Michigan doesn't go by UM or MU

Do something to make people remember you and they will, be it UNT or North Texas.

Personally, I prefer they know 2/3 of our school's name (pretty sure they know we are a university, anyway) than an acronym.

• Upvote 1

Which is, again, proven wrong because sports people still say NTSU to refer to us. If we went by UNT, they'd call us UNT and everyone would know what it meant.

This, again (and again and again), is the other huge fallacy - people won't know what it means. What followers of college football can't make the connection between a school and its acronym? Be realistic.

People who follow college football know the 120 teams that make up the FBS. They are not confused by acronyms. To the contrary, they use them all the time. UNT isn't difficult.

Posted months and months ago, even if you considered the stupidest of fans and commentators, there is no other UNT anywhere else anyway to get us mixed up with. It's not the problem our athletic department thinks it would be.

It would raise our profile and bring us into the final decade of the 20th century. I figure we're roughly 25 years behind the curve here. But, we can hope.

I just "Googled" NTSU and did not see any meaningful reference to our school until the 6th page or so and then it was not in a sports context. Even as a student at dear old North Texas State, I do not recall anyone calling us NTSU on a regular basis, it was always North Texas or North Texas State. I do recall someone altering the I-35 Ave C exit sign one night to read NUTS rather than NTSU.

Also, any branding effort should be all inclusive-not just the athletic department.

Ironically, the coach's quote at the end of your posts uses the words North Texas, not UNT.

When does the season start?

• Upvote 1

I honestly can't remember the last time a respectable news outlet called us NTSU. I really don't think it's as big a problem as this thread is making it.

Sure, some old broadcaster might slip up once in awhile, but I dont think that's going to cause any confusion with the general public.

• Upvote 1

I agree that it's not a huge deal, and I do like being called North Texas, but I certainly wouldn't mind our slipping the "UNT" reference into our marketing more than we do currently. If say we are in the Sweet Sixteen (or a major bowl) and the UNT logo is prevalent, I think it would be great if the national media consistently referred to us as UNT. It would be nice if people on the national level were to at least have the option of picking up that reference and running with it.

Don't forget Runts. That was our name in the big west days by Idaho, NMSU and Aggie fan.

I changed my mind 3 times during this thread which is frightening. In the end the winner is: North Texas. Throw in North Texas Mean Green and it has a great ring. Throw the Eagle in as our mascot like the elephant for Alabama and we are good. Let the University use UNT. Most of my friends and prospective students who see my gear call us UNT or a kid the other day said, "I am going to UNT in the fall." So when they think of going to college they think UNT. For sports WE ARE NT or We are North Texas!

Hawaii has bigger problems:

Hawaii - mainland reference

UH - local reference

Warriors - football, warriors, baseball team

Rainbow Warriors - men's basketball team

Wahine - all women's team

• Upvote 1