UT- Arlington To Join The WAC

Item #5

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3842161

the commissioner of the wac, mr. karl benson, visited u. t. arlington's campus on

june 29, 2011, to meet with president spaniolo and u. t. arlington athletic director,

mr. pete carlon, to discuss the possible move. on july 5, 2011, commissioner benson

notified president spaniolo that the presidents of the nine universities comprising the

current wac membership, including president romo of u. t. san antonio, had voted

unanimously to extend an invitation to u. t. arlington to join the conference.

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Say what you say, but in a sense, Karl Benson just trumped us I do believe by bringing in a team in our back yard.

So do we rest on our laurels of having a new stadium now? Not if UTA starts playing WAC football at Jerry's World.

We need to show the WAC what kind of home OOC schedules that we can get at the MGS that they will have to wait 10 years minimum of their own football program development to do the same. The arms race is on folks! We cannot afford to blink.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 11

Congrats to UTA. I'm surprised by this move. I'm really surprised the WAC is adding non-football members. I get Seattle a little but I think they should have waited. Since it looks like Big East isn't going to make another addition this year, I thought the WAC finally had a chance to take another run at some of the football schools they were looking at (Montana schools, ULL, North Texas, etc). I thought there would be 1% they could grab Sun Belt school but this was first time one of those schools might have jumped (nobody would jump if there was chance CUSA, etc might have to expand if they lost a team, etc).

If UTA is going to add football (I've read some rumors they are looking at 2016), North Texas needs to get football going again. Since North Texas is finally serious about football we should be to a point where UTA can't touch us. If we aren't any better than we are today, UTA having football could actually cost us a few recruits. WAC could actually get some coverage in Texas (although Southland really doesn't get much coverage). This probably impacts our non-revenue sports some. WAC with all the Texas schools might be more attractive to volleyball, track, softball, etc.

I bet La Tech fans are pissed. They were pissed when Seattle was added. They want football schools.

I feel dumber for just having read the WAC board. I can't wait to schedule UTSA & Texas St in football, they talk like they will mop us....I think our coaching staff could put on some jerseys and give each team a game.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I feel dumber for just having read the WAC board. I can't wait to schedule UTSA & Texas St in football, they talk like they will mop us....I think our coaching staff could put on some jerseys and give each team a game.

Read some of the posts from LA Tech. Sounds like some of those guy are really full of themselves. Do they really believe that they will get a call from USA conference?

Who cares? The WAC is a non-starter, and UNT is better off having nothing to do with the Wacky WAC. Going downhill fast is the WAC, and I am glad UNT is not party to this. better days are ahead for UNt, not so sure about the WAC, but, sure, let's schedule these guys and blow their socks off and shut 'em up. Better than scheduling Southern, right?

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Read some of the posts from LA Tech. Sounds like some of those guy are really full of themselves. Do they really believe that they will get a call from USA conference?

Amazingly......yes.

But they need to do more than just draw pictures of what they would like to have their stadium look like.

GMG!

PS: Wonder what would happen if the SBC would snatch TSU away from them?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am happy for UTA. They clearly got the better of that deal. Same goes for UTSA and UTSWTSUSM. They all got the better of the WAC.

I'm happy that UNT isn't a part of that. I'm happy that our conference shares a footprint with the SEC. In no way is any of this a bad thing for UNT, because for UNT, it's irrelevant.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Benson is quickly becoming my least favorite person in college sports. The new WAC or SLAC, will struggle for at least a few years. I'm not big on the Sun Belt expanding, but if the new WAC does start to gain a foothold again, the Belt might need to re-evaluate expanding, and add a WAC team or two. That shouldn't be necessary for another 5 or 10 years.

Congrats to UTA. I'm surprised by this move. I'm really surprised the WAC is adding non-football members. I get Seattle a little but I think they should have waited. Since it looks like Big East isn't going to make another addition this year, I thought the WAC finally had a chance to take another run at some of the football schools they were looking at (Montana schools, ULL, North Texas, etc). I thought there would be 1% they could grab Sun Belt school but this was first time one of those schools might have jumped (nobody would jump if there was chance CUSA, etc might have to expand if they lost a team, etc).

If UTA is going to add football (I've read some rumors they are looking at 2016), North Texas needs to get football going again. Since North Texas is finally serious about football we should be to a point where UTA can't touch us. If we aren't any better than we are today, UTA having football could actually cost us a few recruits. WAC could actually get some coverage in Texas (although Southland really doesn't get much coverage). This probably impacts our non-revenue sports some. WAC with all the Texas schools might be more attractive to volleyball, track, softball, etc.

I bet La Tech fans are pissed. They were pissed when Seattle was added. They want football schools.

Take a pill. It's UTA. They don't have a football team. Not a DIII, or even DII team. Kinda crazy to think they will pose any threat to us in the next 10 years.

Just ensures that the WAC won't be around in 2 years.

• Upvote 1