Mighty Ducks stay Mighty once again

I think it is safe to say that these are two very evenly matched teams. The Ducks have been a great Cinderella story this year but their horse and coach are likely to be turned back into a pumpkin with mice tomorrow night. You can also kiss the possibility of any type of long term run goodbye, they will lose 25% of their players because the Ducks will refuse to pay the going rate for them next year...

Couple of observations:

The finals numbers will go down as the worst television ratings since hockey was picked up by the American Networks. Last Thursday, ABC was beat by both UPN and the WB... along with CBS with the Amazing Race and NBC with a repeat of Friends. I am seeing exactly what you are talking about with New Jersey, nobody really cares about them... if this were the Rangers the numbers would probably be double and they might have been able to edge out a repeat of Sister, Sister or the Hughleys. The Ducks can't even sell out their own arena most of the time, I think that they have had 5 playoff games this year that have fallen short of a sellout. It is really a shame, both teams play very exciting hockey. I think there are about 7 or 8 teams that have to be in the playoffs for the country to care and 2 of them are in Canada. Dallas, Colorado, Detroit, New York... who else? I dunno.. all I know is that the finals will soon be on cable as the networks can't afford them after this year.

The thing with hockey is fans are fiercely loyal to THEIR team, but usually don't care much for other squads. The ideal final would be The Rangers versus the Black Hawks or Red Wings.

Here in LA there's only moderate interest in the Ducks. If the Kings were in the Final this place would be going ape though. Orange County is kinda like how New York perceives Jersey.

Anaheim is going crazy - but it's a smaller area. I think it's population is about 300 thousand people and all of OC is about twice that. So even if EVERYONE was watching it(which very well might be happening) it won't make a difference nationally.

BTW, did anyone see that Game Seven actaully got pretty good ratings?

According to the sory I read they were the best a hockey game has gotten in like years.

4.6 rating for the game. Highest since the NHL has been broadcasting the Stanley Cup Finals games on network television in the U.S, which started in '98. I think it was the highest rated game in around 30 yrs.