New Billboard

Green Dozer

Not complaining but is it O.K. to critique this billboard?

Could we have come up with a longer website name than "www.experiencethenewmeangreen.com"? Hope people can remember it as they're driving by. And does the phone number connect to the ticket office?

Seriously, I'm glad we are getting billboards up to promote UNT football and the stadium.

• Upvote 3

Not complaining but is it O.K. to critique this billboard?

Could we have come up with a longer website name than "www.experiencethenewmeangreen.com"? Hope people can remember it as they're driving by. And does the phone number connect to the ticket office?

Seriously, I'm glad we are getting billboards up to promote UNT football and the stadium.

Yes. That's the 800 number for the UNT ticket office.

80% of all billboards are unreadable...sadly, this one joins the ranks of the 80 percentile. Way too busy to absorb while driving.

As an everyday commuter past this sign I know that about once a week or so the traffic here is pretty backed up, especially in the left hand lane. While it is tough to read at highway speeds morning commuters will get a chance to read it fairly often at 10 MPH.

• Upvote 5

As an everyday commuter past this sign I know that about once a week or so the traffic here is pretty backed up, especially in the left hand lane. While it is tough to read at highway speeds morning commuters will get a chance to read it fairly often at 10 MPH.

This...I drive by daily as well and can attest to the traffic. There will be plenty of opportunities to really "study" this sign, the phone # and the web address while doing about 10MPH or less.

I do, however, agree with drex (and drex has a very good handle on this sort of thing) that 80% of all billboards are unreadable...and certainly at highway speeds, but I did like seeing this one up...and the location seems great. If you drive by it more than once you can focus on the part you want....like the phone number or the web address...does seem like a long web address, doesn't it? I just like the fact that we are seeing UNT billboards around the area and around the metroplex. The Mean Green definitely have something great to sell, so it's good to see the word getting out in multiple ways these days.

Can't tell you how many billboards I have noticed in my 30+years of commuting down I-35 and back...most are not fully readable the first couple of times by them, but soon enough I get it all from the ones I am interested in enough to look at more than once. I guess the mantra "less is more" when it comes to billboards is a good thing.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Billboards! Something we've debated for years!

TCU also has theirs up around FW now as well. Saw three driving in from Granbury last weekend.

I love our billboards...but here's something I'd like to point out that you can chew on:

They don't say "NORTH TEXAS" on them anywhere...but, there is a "UNT" in the corner. Anyone? I thought if we used UNT on things...like, say, helmets :rolleyes: - that people wouldn't know who we were. But, on billboards advertising the new stadium, it seems to be okay.

How will people know we're North Texas? The billboard just says "MEAN GREEN" and "UNT." :D

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump an old thread. Passed a new one today on 377 in Keller. What makes it noteworthy is that this billboard was TCU Football for much of last year. Glad to see North Texas moving in.

Lots of traffic on the road, and the billboards are extremely visible. Awesome buy for the AD.

GMG!

Wow I live right by there. Will have to go check it out! Thanks for the heads up.

Maybe we already do this but I'd love to have a ton of emphasis of our billboards, promotion and marketing in other cities as well like Hou, SA, Austin, EL Paso, Amarillo and even in Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana.

I know a lot of people living in those places and have barely heard of our school.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maybe we already do this but I'd love to have a ton of emphasis of our billboards, promotion and marketing in other cities as well like Hou, SA, Austin, EL Paso, Amarillo and even in Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana.

I know a lot of people living in those places and have barely heard of our school.

I love the ambition, but focusing our limited advertising resources in D/FW makes the most strategic sense. The billboards in D/FW could put butts in seats, immediately. A billboard in Houston or El Paso might not generate a single return.

I agree that more exposure for the brand is necessary on a regional level, which could be better organized and executed via Google or Facebook advertising, but is ultimately achieved by success on that level.

The billboards are specifically put up to try and garner attention for the football team, our new stadium and the new experience therein.

Trying to get folks from other cities to buy into that, when each has their own local experience to offer, is a tough sell. Even 3 hours away in Houston. And why we would focus on Amarillo at all? There's as many people in Lewisville, Flower Mound and Highland Village, and those are just 3 suburbs of the Metroplex.

You want even more recognition on a regional level, beat the teams that reside in each of the major cities you listed, except Amarillo of course.

I like the billboards, think they're a great way to reconnect with the 75,000+ alumni in the D/FW area and it seems they're not just peppering, but saturating the market, which will put fans in the seat and generate new interest in our new experience.

We're the 3rd largest school in the state and arguably the most affordable. I think you overestimate how many people have barley heard of us.

Kudos to the AD or whoever's responsible for the billboard campaign, I think it's well done.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Wasn't there a thread one or two years ago dismissing billboards? Something in line with the "return-on-investment" is difficult to gauge an/or minimal?

I think the debate was more about billboards for billboards sake. Like most of the stuff debated here, they're a tactic, not a sole means to an end. Seeing the ad, Pr and marketing efforts all supporting one unified message (stadium/football/McCarney) has been pretty cool and new for us.

• Upvote 2

I drove to Fort Worth everyday last week and didn't see one North Texas billboard. I watch T.V. all day during the summer and haven't seen the new Mean Green commercial once. What channel does the thing come on? Are there any billboards between Denton and Fort Worth? And, why did Carey have to be dismissed from the team?!