Ohio State Interested In Dan Mccarney?

Fat chance. Even if they were interested, Mac has already said that this is his last stop. On top of that, why would he want to give up building something for the future for babysitting a program that will probably be under sanctions the next 5+ years?

Seriously? I love UNT but to say a coach would prefer building in Denton to maintaining in Columbus is silly. Not to mention the pay raise.

That said, who is this blum character?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Seriously? I love UNT but to say a coach would prefer building in Denton to maintaining in Columbus is silly. Not to mention the pay raise.

I'm not saying 99% of coaches wouldn't jump at the chance to do that. What I'm saying is that Mac seems genuinely excited about this job and the possibility of leaving here having built the program to a level never thought imaginable.

To go from that to maintaining a program that probably won't see a bowl game for half a decade just doesn't seem like it fits his persona.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

#1. What is the relationship/history between Gene Smith and Coach McCarney?

#2. According to ESPN, Luke Fikell has already been named the interim coach.

#3. Assuming that any of this is true, and Smith does call McCarney, IMHO the only questions after that is A. How much is the buyout clause in Coach McCarney's contract, and B. will Coach Canales choose to stay on as HC, or go to Ohio State as OC.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

#1. What is the relationship/history between Gene Smith and Coach McCarney?

#2. According to ESPN, Luke Fikell has already been name the interim coach.

#3. Assuming that any of this is true, and Smith does call McCarney, IMHO the only questions after that is A. How much is the buyout clause in Coach McCarney's contract, and B. will Coach Canales choose to stay on as HC, or go to Ohio State as OC.

#1 - Gene Smith was AD at Iowa State when Coach Mac was there.

#2 - Fickell had already been named interim for the first five games well before Tressell ever resigned. When he did, extending Fickell's interim status throughout the season was a logical choice.

#3 - I don't assume any of it to be true, but I somewhat understand the logic based on #1, and Ohio State's need for a squeaky clean character guy, who has still shown he can win at the highest level. It makes a certain amount of sense, but there are numerous other coaches who would fit the bill as well.

#3A&B - I don't know the answer to either, but I believe Coach Chico would choose the UNT HC job if offered both.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Great post SilverEagle!!! If Coach Mac's phone ring's and he doesn't take the OSU job if offered (pure speculation). I'd think Hadyen Fry might meet with Coach Mac soon after his decision and kick him in the shin.

I love UNT and drink lot's of Green Kool aid, but UNT is no OSU!!! If UNT plays OSU I root for UNT, but I'm realistic about UNT's odds of winning the game. In the past I've made the mistake of drinking too much Green Kool aid.

• Upvote 2

Reminds me of all that paranoia about losing Dodge after his hire. NT did a great job hiring McCarney, but do you really believe the second richest athletic department in the nation is going to steal a head football coach from N?

Not sure where you see the paranoia. The only one who thinks this has a good chance of happening is a broadcaster from Des Moines, Iowa.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not sure where you see the paranoia. The only one who thinks this has a good chance of happening is a broadcaster from Des Moines, Iowa.

Paranoia may be strong, but you just speculated on who McCarney's replacement would be. Just reminds me of all the Todd Dodge using the NT job as stepping stone dicussions, in retrospect that would have been great.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Paranoia may be strong, but you just speculated on who McCarney's replacement would be. Just reminds me of all the Todd Dodge using the NT job as stepping stone dicussions, in retrospect that would have been great.

"Speculation" is the key word, and in direct answer to a question. Sheesh, it's the offseason, and it's something to talk about. Relax.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Fat chance. Even if they were interested, Mac has already said that this is his last stop. On top of that, why would he want to give up building something for the future for babysitting a program that will probably be under sanctions the next 5+ years?

Yeah, I don't see Mac leaving anytime soon. I think he places more emphasis on character than on money. After unpacking his suitcase and making all the "why not North Texas" speaches he would never be able to look himself in the mirror again. I think it's more about integrity than money with Mac. Afterall, if you can't live well on 4 to 500,000 thousand a year, well then, you have bigger issues in life.

Yeah, I don't see Mac leaving anytime soon. I think he places more emphasis on character than on money. After unpacking his suitcase and making all the "why not North Texas" speaches he would never be able to look himself in the mirror again. I think it's more about integrity than money with Mac. Afterall, if you can't live well on 4 to 500,000 thousand a year, well then, you have bigger issues in life.

With the qualifier that this is all pure speculation generated from a fan site post. I have to say (and regretfully so) that in the big world of D-1 football, leaving us at the alter for O-State wouldn't generate so much as a raised eyebrow amongst the mass media. And the only thing they could comment on would be how long it took Coach McCarney to make the decision.

However, I could be wrong.

Edited by SilverEagle

That said, who is this blum character?

Brent Blum is a quasi radio personality in Des Moines. He's a die hard Cyclone fan so I like him, but he's just throwing this out there...

Gene Smith hired Mac at Iowa State so I can see where he is going with this, but seriously... He's not like a "news" outlet of any kind. He writes a column for Cyclonefanatic.com and does a radio show.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it is a question of character. At the end of the day coach Mac like everyone else has to provide for his family as best he can. His paycheck at UNT is very nice, but if given the chance to triple it, I wouldn't hold it against him.

In this age of instant information, nothing important can stay secret for very long. Two years ago it was USC... Last season Auburn... Now Ohio State. Have we reached a point where most of the big boys will take turns being on probation? Personally, I think we will start to see two and three programs a season run into trouble.

Having said that, I don't see McCarney going anywhere, at least not now. I hope he can turn this program into the kind of winner we've never been, the kind that plays in major bowls, and busts the BCS. And, I hope North Texas will be the last stop in his career.

I would speculate that it will be challenging for OSU to find a new head coach until the NCAA hands down the verdict and what the penalties will be. Most coaches aren't likely to take a job with something like that hanging over the program. I think that once the decision is made, coaches will know what they are dealing with and whether they want to even consider the job.