About Who We Play In The Pit

That’s what you get when you schedule all of the weak sisters of the poor just to get a 20 win season

– if you start scheduling top 50 teams the attendance will go thorough the roof

– we have been averaging 3500 attendance for 40 years

– Lets take the program to the top – what’s the problem if you got a great coach and a great team????

You never answered me...what's a roadruner?

Two things that hurt attendance especially student attendance that I just don't understand:

1) Why do we have no one who shows up at games on Christmas holiday break?? Most of our students' homes are within 30 miles of campus, why they can't or won't drive up is a mystery. It also shows how lousy the support is from Denton when the students don't show, and only the handful of Dentonites make up the crowd. Don't give me the lame excuses because you still see thousands of students at holiday games at other places. We need to get into some holiday tournaments if no one will show at home in this period.

2)Why are our students/fans so arrogant that they won't show for conference games. Earth to Denton---we don't have the largest enrollment in the SBC--FIU does. We have an SBC team in Western Ky. that has a national reputation. We have been in the SBC how many years and the students don't recognize the teams?? How does it make you feel to hold season tickets when there are at least 3 or 4 throw away games in your package every year?? I'm talking about SWAC, SLC, and D-2 teams here not conference games.

No, we went through a long period of time where we did not. As sad as our attendance may be now, try 15 years ago.

Also to your point about scheduling Top 50 teams. I will say this...less than ten seasons ago we brought INDIANA to the Super Pit. This was not the IU that is currently ravaged by sanctions mind you. This was - one of the Top 6 programs of all time - Indiana Hoosiers. Wanna guess how many people came out for that game?

Edited by CMJ

That’s what you get when you schedule all of the weak sisters of the poor just to get a 20 win season

– if you start scheduling top 50 teams the attendance will go thorough the roof

– Lets take the program to the top – what’s the problem if you got a great coach and a great team????

Not really strong points being made here. Try harder.

I think it is really sad that we have a 9,200 seat arena and are thrilled to have 5,000 show up once a year for a game. I think that geography really is a big factor in basketball attendance. We sit in the Metroplex and no one really starts to think seriously about basketball until after Christmas. It's not just us...SMU, TCU and UTA suffer from the same thing.

It actually seats a little over 10,000...that doesn't change your point though.

Two things that hurt attendance especially student attendance that I just don't understand:

1) Why do we have no one who shows up at games on Christmas holiday break?? Most of our students' homes are within 30 miles of campus, why they can't or won't drive up is a mystery. It also shows how lousy the support is from Denton when the students don't show, and only the handful of Dentonites make up the crowd. Don't give me the lame excuses because you still see thousands of students at holiday games at other places. We need to get into some holiday tournaments if no one will show at home in this period.

2)Why are our students/fans so arrogant that they won't show for conference games. Earth to Denton---we don't have the largest enrollment in the SBC--FIU does. We have an SBC team in Western Ky. that has a national reputation. We have been in the SBC how many years and the students don't recognize the teams?? How does it make you feel to hold season tickets when there are at least 3 or 4 throw away games in your package every year?? I'm talking about SWAC, SLC, and D-2 teams here not conference games.

1) Maybe it is the same reason there are supposed be almost 100,000 alumni in the DFW area and only a tiny fraction of a percent come to home games? As to what that actual reason is I don't know.

2) Doesn't bother us at all. We still go to the games, or make sure our tickets are used if we are out of town. I don't mind the occasional cupcake as it usually allows some of our lesser players and walk-ons to get in a game and the cheers for them when they score are usually pretty big. Those guys work their tails off all year and games like that are usually their only reward. As for this coming season, I think we will need to have several games against poor competition to allow this team to make mistakes and still gel before conference season.

UNT men’s BB is an amazing value and I can’t fathom why more locals and alumni do not attend games. Students get in “free” with their ID which makes the value even better.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I will say this...less than ten seasons ago we brought INDIANA to the Super Pit. This was not the IU that is currently ravaged by sanctions mind you. This was - one of the Top 6 programs of all time - Indiana Hoosiers. Wanna guess how many people came out for that game?

If I remember right, it was only slightly more than the number of people who came out to see us play ULL and UALR to close out the regular season when we were on our 11 game win streak in the last NCAA season.

Tasty, a little digging reveals that was not the year of that kind of streak nor an NCAA bid. We lost to NO in the Sun Belt tourney.

2003 - 2004 season saw Indiana. We brought in 6,118 for that game.

Following two late season road losses to WKU and Denver, we hosted LALA in front of a vastly smaller crowd of 1,427.

I vaguely remember that season, getting slightly frustrated at a lack of consistency front night-to-night.

Edited by greenminer

Tasty, a little digging reveals that was not the year of that kind of streak nor an NCAA bid. We lost to NO in the Sun Belt tourney.

2003 - 2004 season saw Indiana. We brought in 6,118 for that game.

Following two late season road losses to WKU and Denver, we hosted LALA in front of a vastly smaller crowd of 1,427.

I vaguely remember that season, getting slightly frustrated at a lack of consistency front night-to-night.

He's actually referring to the end of the '10 season where we averaged like 4500 for the last two home games in the middle of that 11 game stretch. I actually forgot that there were over 6K at that IU contest, I was thinking more like 5500. Still though, not that impressive given who we were hosting. If ever there was a game that could have approached capacity - that was it.

Edited by CMJ
  • Downvote 2

He's actually referring to the end of the '10 season where we averaged like 4500 for the last two home games in the middle of that 11 game stretch. I actually forgot that there were over 6K at that IU contest, I was thinking more like 5500. Still though, not that impressive given who we were hosting. If ever there was a game that could have approached capacity - that was it.

Yeah, this is what I meant. I thought we pulled a thousand fewer people than the recorded attendance for Indiana. My mistake.

And I meant the 2010 games to close out the regular season when we drew 4500 for our hyphenate Sun Belt opponents.

I thought the gap was about 6-700 people, but there were a thousand more for Indiana than I remembered.

We pulled in over 3000 for our Dec 30 game last year against Little Rock, 2600 for the Dec 28 against OK Panhandle. Not bad considering the opponents.

Indiana also had Colony product, Bracey Wright, former teammate of Deron Williams playing in that game. Wright was legit NBA material (drafted by the Timberwolves).That alone got this otherwise apathetic student at that time out to the game. It also attracted some locals and non-UNT fans. If I remember correctly NT played them well the entire game and lost by about 10 points.