Mean Green Baseball

C Vo

The turf basepaths are weird. I wonder what it's like to slide on that.

That is the new trend in college baseball parks. UT, Tech, KU and K-State all installed turf fields in last couple of years. It's weird to watch game where the batter's box stays the whole game (since the leadoff batter usually does his best to get rid of back line).

It's too bad that UNT doesn't field a team in one of the Sun Belt's best sports. I agree that it wouldn't be a slam dunk that UNT would be good in baseball, but the potential is there to have an above average Sun Belt team.

Big win for DBU. Dallas Baptist beat Oklahoma baseball today 3-2 at the Regional in Ft. Worth. Half of the DBU Patriots are from the North Texas area. DBU has been building a great program with mostly local talent for the past several years and it's starting to pay off.

• Upvote 1

This summer I'm interning with the Grand Prairie Airhogs who play in the American Association of Independent Baseball. The Ft. Worth Cats are also in the league. Anways, our head ticket guy told me today that one of the teams, which I'm pretty sure is the Shreveport-Bossier Captains might go under and the league is looking for a new team to replace them.

I was told that the league is looking at Denton and would try to build a new stadium in conjunction with UNT. I have no idea how legit any of this is, but it's something to keep an eye on.

• Upvote 3

This summer I'm interning with the Grand Prairie Airhogs who play in the American Association of Independent Baseball. The Ft. Worth Cats are also in the league. Anways, our head ticket guy told me today that one of the teams, which I'm pretty sure is the Shreveport-Bossier Captains might go under and the league is looking for a new team to replace them.

I was told that the league is looking at Denton and would try to build a new stadium in conjunction with UNT. I have no idea how legit any of this is, but it's something to keep an eye on.

The first part of that wouldn't surprise me at all. Shreveport seems to change names and owners on an annual basis, and their stadium was old and decrepit in the 80s, let alone the current era of shiny corporately named joints even in independent baseball. The American Association is horrible baseball, but a LOT of fun to watch. I've gone to games in El Paso, Ft. Worth, Grand Prairie and Shreveport. They each have their own flavor, and they're all a lot of fun.

I would love it if it were true that they would approach UNT, but given the shaky financial situations of most of the individual teams (I was drinking beer with the Ft. Worth owner a couple years ago at a game, and he was scared that they WOULD make the playoffs because that loses him money), I can't see that as a reality.

• Upvote 1

I'm not opposed to getting Rusty Greer aka The Red Baron on board with any and all future baseball plans at North Texas. Thanks.

He's done something locally with minor league baseball, hasn't he? I know he's got a really cool little league stadium in Frisco with his name on it, but I think he also lent his name to either the old Denton Texas Collegiate League team or the ill-fated Continental Baseball League that ran here from 2008-2010.

• Upvote 1

i second that. he's my first choice for a first coach in the new era of college baseball at NT.

Seems like a really good guy, but you want a coach who understands the college game. Scholarship limitations, different bats, different strategies, 3-man rotation, dealing with shallow bullpens, etc. Would you want, say, Don Nelson navigating the pitfalls of Sunbelt basketball and NCAA ban hammers that target mid-majors at UNT?

Edit: Trying to go with former major leaguers in college baseball has, historically, proven disastrous. Two that immediately come to mind are the debacle that was Chad Kreuter at USC and the endlessly inflatable Tony Gwynn at San Diego St.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 2

Seems like a really good guy, but you want a coach who understands the college game. Scholarship limitations, different bats, different strategies, 3-man rotation, dealing with shallow bullpens, etc. Would you want, say, Don Nelson navigating the pitfalls of Sunbelt basketball and NCAA ban hammers that target mid-majors at UNT?

Edit: Trying to go with former major leaguers in college baseball has, historically, proven disastrous. Two that immediately come to mind are the debacle that was Chad Kreuter at USC and the endlessly inflatable Tony Gwynn at San Diego St.

It would definitely be a hit or miss hire but nothing different than any other. He's been interested managing a college team for a while. And tho it is Wikipedia he's currently an assistant hitting coach at Texas Wesleyan. So I imagine he's pretty well exposed to the goings on of college baseball. The positive to that kind of hire is it would be a buzz hire and would get a lot of support from the baseball community here because he was and still is a complete fan favorite. But as you've stated before theres a lot of talented guys that would be a great fit here and would have the potential to take this program somewhere if it ever became a reality.

American Association is bad baseball? Really. I totally disagree. As the announcer for the Grand Prairie AirHogs, I have watched over 150 games, and the one thing that surprizes me is how good the baseball really is. We have had a bunch of players re-signed to the majors, and numerous 2011 AirHogs have just been released from AAA.

At times, I think you see pitching issues, but for most, it is there last chance and if you see Greg Portera and Cesar Nicholos of the AirHogs play...you might change your mind.

But, no matter, they have one helleva good announcer! LOL

ParksAndRecRick

With the change in college bats recently the bats are more similar to the pros and so is the offensive strategy. I don't think the pitching is that big of an issue with there being fewer games and more time in between. The biggest issue from above would would be the scholarships...maybe he could google it.

I just think he would be a good enough recruiter/coach in a talent rich state to make an impact in the sunbelt. He also has local ex-pro friends to join his staff. It 'd be like an extended fantasy camp. :D

i second that. he's my first choice for a first coach in the new era of college baseball at NT.

I third that. One of my good friends played under him at Texas Wesleyan. From what I gathered, there was never a bad thing mentioned about him from the players. I also think he would be great for a start up program because of the buzz he would create and I'm sure he is fully capable of bringing in recruits with his energy.

My first choice for a head coach would be Skip Johnson. He's a hometown guy that has proven himself in recruiting at Texas and Navarro College. He actually was a pitcher for UNT the last time we had baseball.

My only concern is he might be next in line when Augie retires.

Now, you can start in on the Augie F Bomb jokes!

I'm not opposed to getting Rusty Greer aka The Red Baron on board with any and all future baseball plans at North Texas. Thanks.

Rusty Greer is coaching a 10 year old select team right now! Yes, he's a well known name around these parts, but there other college coaches who would be a better choice.

With the change in college bats recently the bats are more similar to the pros and so is the offensive strategy. I don't think the pitching is that big of an issue with there being fewer games and more time in between. The biggest issue from above would would be the scholarships...maybe he could google it.

I just think he would be a good enough recruiter/coach in a talent rich state to make an impact in the sunbelt. He also has local ex-pro friends to join his staff. It 'd be like an extended fantasy camp. :D

The BBCOR bats replaced the BESR bats in College this year. The BBCOR bat has a smaller sweet spot and is heavy ended. The difference between both of them is basiclly bat exit speed and that has been "dumbed" down so to speak.

The BBCOR bat is nothing like wood, but it is close. It has changed College baseball this season. Offensive home runs and averages are way down. It has placed a premium on pitching, defense and speed in the outfield.

This is one reason why DBU and other smaller schools are doing well in the NCAA tournamnet. One change in a rule has changed the whole make up of the game. Good, quality Pitching is now a premium, as it always has been, it's just helped smaller schools compete. Pitchers can now throw inside and dominate a good hitter.

Texas High Schools will have to use the BBCOR bats next season. California High Schools used it this year had the same results as NCAA Colleges have had.

Thank God my son is a High School pitcher. He needs to hit the weight room to help him swing the heavy ended bat.

Edited by C Vo

C Vo knows of what he speaks. Nice posts.

And yes, Paul Manieri is still steaming that he can't steal the tournament with his guys hitting home runs off the handle anymore.

Thanks, I wonder how the 2nd generation of BBCOR's coming out this fall will improve or change again. Bat manufactoring is a big business and they are always trying to do something to get a upper hand over the competition.

My first choice for a head coach would be Skip Johnson. He's a hometown guy that has proven himself in recruiting at Texas and Navarro College. He actually was a pitcher for UNT the last time we had baseball.

My only concern is he might be next in line when Augie retires.

Now, you can start in on the Augie F Bomb jokes!

Yes, Skipper would be my first choice with my very, very close second being Tim Tadlock. They are both grew up in Denton, I played baseball with both of them although they are a few years younger than me, would be good representatives of UNT and have proven their ability at large universities.

Skip Johnson's Bio

Tim Tadlock's Bio

Edited by UNTLifer

There is NO DOUBT it is Summer. A four page thread on a program that will not exist for at least three years, at the earliest. All of these coaching candidates could have new jobs or be out of baseball. This thread is a waste of time, and I can't believe I've been sucked into this thread.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

There is NO DOUBT it is Summer. A four page thread on a program that will not exist for at least three years, at the earliest. All of these coaching candidates could have new jobs or be out of baseball. This thread is a waste of time, and I can't believe I've been sucked into this thread.

Glad to see ol' Green Bat is his usual surly self.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

i wasted my time reading your post about wasting your time.

back to topic: ihave never attended a track meet and never will. i would buy season tickets to a baseball program.

I'm sorry that you wasted your time reading my post.

While I have attended numerous track meets, and have been marveled by the athletism of the participants. I do understand your stance. Because I live on the other side of the Metroplex, I'm not sure I'd by season tickets, but I would attend games if possible, but this thread is not about attendance, it's about a program that is not even in existence and is a minimul of three years, probably five from even starting. It is riduculous to look for a coach that doesn't even exist. You can tell it''s the off season. Can't wait until Summer camp starts!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1