Turf Question

Every drawing I've seen of the stadium, shows the SOW logo on the 50. I think that is great, but every drawing also has the logo upside down for fans on the home side. I'm sure when the field is installed, the logo will face the home side, but why have they never corrected this on the drawings or the seating chart?

Just wondering.

Every drawing I've seen of the stadium, shows the SOW logo on the 50. I think that is great, but every drawing also has the logo upside down for fans on the home side. I'm sure when the field is installed, the logo will face the home side, but why have they never corrected this on the drawings or the seating chart?

Just wondering.

The reason is for television. Typically the television cameras would be on the visitor side of the field so the home team and the stands behind the home team would appear in the shot. Therefore, the mid-field logo would face the visitors.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The reason is for television. Typically the television cameras would be on the visitor side of the field so the home team and the stands behind the home team would appear in the shot. Therefore, the mid-field logo would face the visitors.

Is this a new phenomenon?

I've never played at or been to a stadium where the logo faces the visitor's side.

Come on guys. Go look at images of Amon Carter and Ford stadium, both have their logos facing the home side where the press box and suites are located.

• Upvote 1

I have a few games on DVR that I went back and looked at. Alabama, Kentucky, and UNT all had the cameras on the home side. I seem to remember Army having the cameras on the home side as well because you could see the trees around the Hudson over the shorter visiting side stands. However, Western Kentucky does have the cameras on the visiting side with the logo on the 50 facing the visiting side (verified on DVR). I'd never thought about it before.

All that said, I'm pretty sure I was told by someone in the Athletic Department that the logo would actually be facing the home side. Also, the virtual view of the stadium, which is more recent than any other renderings I've seen, has the logo facing the home side: http://www.seats3d.com/ncaa/university_north_texas/football/

One other note, the overhead doors in the middle of the pressbox at Mean Green Stadium are for the TV cameras, so footage of UNT home games will be from the home side.

• Upvote 2

Is this a new phenomenon?

I've never played at or been to a stadium where the logo faces the visitor's side.

Come on guys. Go look at images of Amon Carter and Ford stadium, both have their logos facing the home side where the press box and suites are located.

Double this and raise you one. SOW should face the pressbox side.

• Upvote 1

Wow. The only area in the student section that's close to being filled is where the band is sitting. I hope that one new tradition is a stadium filled for every game.

And this was the game that solidified a trip to the New Orleans Bowl. Somehow there were still enough students to tear down a goal post.