Utsa

buff64

If this is indeed the case, it's not necessarily a money spending venture. It could be a money revenue stream. If they buy the air time, they then sell the advertising. They just need to sell enough advertising to cover production/air time and the rest is profit. Plus, it's a great recruiting tool.

• Upvote 2

Yep, utsa is already big time with that 11:30am Saturday time slot.... :lol:

I'm pretty sure Mean Green Insider was shown through basketball season on the few networks it is shown on.

I got to watch Mean Green Insider up here in Iowa during the football season, so I think you might be underestimating the value getting a simple thing like a weekly TV show on the air provides.

I got to watch Mean Green Insider up here in Iowa during the football season, so I think you might be underestimating the value getting a simple thing like a weekly TV show on the air provides.

and as popular as DVR's have become, time slots are increasingly less important.

• Upvote 2

Who do we have to sleep with to get news coverage?

I know they showed our Weekly Mean Green Show, whatever its called, hosted by Dunham on FSSW during the football season at times but I dont remember seeing it during the basketball season.

It was called The Mean Green Insider, it was hosted by Hank (not George), it was on TXA 21 (rather than FSSW) and it was on through the basketball season. The only downside, IMO, was that it was on at 6am, which is pretty early if you don't set your DVR.

If this is indeed the case, it's not necessarily a money spending venture. It could be a money revenue stream. If they buy the air time, they then sell the advertising. They just need to sell enough advertising to cover production/air time and the rest is profit. Plus, it's a great recruiting tool.

This. Priming the pump. Creating a pipeline. (Insert your trite marketing cliche here).

• Upvote 1

It was called The Mean Green Insider, it was hosted by Hank (not George), it was on TXA 21 (rather than FSSW) and it was on through the basketball season. The only downside, IMO, was that it was on at 6am, which is pretty early if you don't set your DVR.

I know I saw the MG Insider on FoxSW

A lot of people here act as if UTSA won't be a factor at all when it comes to our situation, but I think they have great potential to really make some significant progress IF everything they are doing right now works out. From an outsider's perspective, this is what I see:

1.)They already have a recognizable facility in the Alamodome, which is attractive to OOC teams because of size.

2.)Their market has appeal. San Antonio is a great tourist city and since it is has no other FBS team, it could lead to good support from the locals IF they win. Not to mention the fact that other teams would love to come here and play against a team that they believe is both beatable and gives them in-roads to Texas HS recruits. If UTSA does find success quickly (not saying they will), I could easily see CUSA coming after them, just to get into a new market that has lots of TV coverage.

3.)They have a name coach in Larry Coker. Granted, he won at Miami with Butch Davis' kids, but he does have a MNC on his resume and the TX HS coaches will have interest in listening to him. He was a good hire for them.

4.)Media coverage for them will be solid. The San Antonio newspaper and other media outlets will cover them closely, much like the El Paso media covers UTEP closely. With no other team in town and not other pro football team to draw away coverage, they will have an advantage that Texas State or North Texas will get. We know that Texas and A&M will always get strong coverage, as they should down there, but UTSA will get solid media coverage just because they are local.

I do think that UTSA could be like any of the Florida start-ups of the last 20 years if things fall in line. It will be tough, but I think they have a legitimate shot if their conference stays afloat and stays intact with the same teams already. Like UCF, USF, FAU, and FIU, they have a model to work from and absolutely no history to weigh them down from a fanbase and media perspective. It will certainly be interesting to see how well UNT, Texas State, and UTSA fair over the course of the next ten years. It will go a long way in determining who we will be in a confernece with in the future.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

Are we sure this wasn't FSN's idea?

"Based on HBO's popular NFL program “Hard Knocks,” the FSNSW show would follow the Roadrunners in monthly, half-hour installments leading up to their first game this fall, station spokesman Ramon Alvarez said.

UTSA will open its inaugural season against Northeastern (Okla.) State on Sept. 3.

Alvarez said the yet-to-be-titled show will “probably” begin in early May. He said a producer has been filming during UTSA's recent spring drills, which conclude Saturday at the Alamodome with the spring game.

In addition to Coker and the players, the show will also involve athletic director Lynn Hickey and school administrators in an effort to chronicle the total endeavor of starting a major college program from scratch.

“We're still trying to work out some of the final details with the university,” Alvarez said. “But we're excited about it. It's a compelling series looking at the start of a new football program with a pretty high-profile coach.”

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/article/UTSA-football-to-get-reality-TV-show-in-fall-1328107.php#ixzz1MHMQ3Vbh

Are we sure this wasn't FSN's idea?

"Based on HBO's popular NFL program “Hard Knocks,” the FSNSW show would follow the Roadrunners in monthly, half-hour installments leading up to their first game this fall, station spokesman Ramon Alvarez said.

UTSA will open its inaugural season against Northeastern (Okla.) State on Sept. 3.

Alvarez said the yet-to-be-titled show will “probably” begin in early May. He said a producer has been filming during UTSA's recent spring drills, which conclude Saturday at the Alamodome with the spring game.

In addition to Coker and the players, the show will also involve athletic director Lynn Hickey and school administrators in an effort to chronicle the total endeavor of starting a major college program from scratch.

“We're still trying to work out some of the final details with the university,” Alvarez said. “But we're excited about it. It's a compelling series looking at the start of a new football program with a pretty high-profile coach.”

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/article/UTSA-football-to-get-reality-TV-show-in-fall-1328107.php#ixzz1MHMQ3Vbh

A lot of people here act as if UTSA won't be a factor at all when it comes to our situation, but I think they have great potential to really make some significant progress IF everything they are doing right now works out. From an outsider's perspective, this is what I see:

1.)They already have a recognizable facility in the Alamodome, which is attractive to OOC teams because of size.

2.)Their market has appeal. San Antonio is a great tourist city and since it is has no other FBS team, it could lead to good support from the locals IF they win. Not to mention the fact that other teams would love to come here and play against a team that they believe is both beatable and gives them in-roads to Texas HS recruits. If UTSA does find success quickly (not saying they will), I could easily see CUSA coming after them, just to get into a new market that has lots of TV coverage.

3.)They have a name coach in Larry Coker. Granted, he won at Miami with Butch Davis' kids, but he does have a MNC on his resume and the TX HS coaches will have interest in listening to him. He was a good hire for them.

4.)Media coverage for them will be solid. The San Antonio newspaper and other media outlets will cover them closely, much like the El Paso media covers UTEP closely. With no other team in town and not other pro football team to draw away coverage, they will have an advantage that Texas State or North Texas will get. We know that Texas and A&M will always get strong coverage, as they should down there, but UTSA will get solid media coverage just because they are local.

I do think that UTSA could be like any of the Florida start-ups of the last 20 years if things fall in line. It will be tough, but I think they have a legitimate shot if their conference stays afloat and stays intact with the same teams already. Like UCF, USF, FAU, and FIU, they have a model to work from and absolutely no history to weigh them down from a fanbase and media perspective. It will certainly be interesting to see how well UNT, Texas State, and UTSA fair over the course of the next ten years. It will go a long way in determining who we will be in a confernece with in the future.

They do dhave a couple of other teams in town , Trinty, which owns several nationial chammpionships and IWU which joined the LSC last year.

I watched the show off the TiVo, and it wasn't bad. They kept repeating "in front of 50, 60, or 70,000 fans" like it was an inevitability, where it seems very unlikely anytime soon. I'd put money on us adding the second deck to get to 50,000 before they regularly pull 30,000 for games, but who knows.

I really think people underestimate the draw that the horns have in San Antonio. They're not in the same situation as UTEP. Driving an hour and a half to Austin a few times a year isn't going to break the bank for anyone, not to mention all of the people who will just stay at home and watch.