Rub Some Green On It?

I usually check out for a while between basketball season and late summer...so if this has been discussed before, my apologies. I picked up a schedule magnet yesterday for the upcoming season. 'Rub Some Green On It'...is that really our slogan for next season??? My first reaction was a good chuckle and then thoughts of baby poop. (I have a 11 month old so fresh on the brain)

anyone else think this is a strange slogan?

At least "It's Wide Open" can be explained/defined. I don't dislike "Rub Some Green On It," but I'm not sure I understand it.

I'll agree to that. "Rub" is not usually a verb I associate with football. If this slogan doesn't end up with our team in green helmets then I will be very dissapointed!

I'll agree to that. "Rub" is not usually a verb I associate with football. If this slogan doesn't end up with our team in green helmets then I will be very dissapointed!

I'll be shocked if the helmets aren't green this coming year. There have been too many hints from the Athletic Department about this for it not to happen. (mentioned in live blog from Stephen B., green helmet with white stripe in video of RV talking about stadium, green on top of helmet in new football poster, ...)

At least "It's Wide Open" can be explained/defined. I don't dislike "Rub Some Green On It," but I'm not sure I understand it.

My take is that "rub some green on it" is a UNT spin on the common phrase "rub some dirt on it".

Rub some dirt on it is defined by UrbanDictionary.com as: To suck it up or man up in any kind of situation. Definition Link

The phrase is commonly used in sports, and was popularized by a Peyton Manning MasterCard commercial seen below (the use of the phrase occurs at the :11 mark):

I think it makes sense, and the UNT Athletics graphic design people made a pretty cool logo out of it.

• Upvote 2

I hope we throw some D on our opponents by rubbing green on the back of their jersies from hits putting them on the ground.

Helmets should be green. My roommate is a manager for the team and he was told they would be green.

Thanks for the information and welcome to the board! This guy deserves a few +1s people!! GMG!!

Thanks for the information and welcome to the board! This guy deserves a few +1s people!! GMG!!

Appreciate it. I actually have been on the board just about daily since the K-State game, I just normally read what yall veterans have to say. May try and stop by and meet some of yall at a tailgate or something, since I plan on following Mean Green sports forever.

• Upvote 1

Helmets should be green. My roommate is a manager for the team and he was told they would be green.

This is my prediction of what the new helmet will look like (but I kind of hope I'm wrong), only because this is the only actual mock up of a different helmet I've seen to date. This pic was taken out of a stadium promotional video shot around August of last year. It appears to have been in RV's office. Keep in mind that the video was shot prior to the McCarney hire. I'm not sure how much influence McCarney has or wants to have over the helmet design.

gallery_3776_23_8719.jpg

Looks a lot like the pre-Dodge helmet but with a center stripe. May also be a different shade of green. The pic is kind of dark. Here is the full video. Pay attention around the 1 minute mark.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad