Meeting Coach

scrappyman1

I was at the Rangers game and got to go to the suite and

meet Coach. He is great and has great plans for North Texas.

He knows what we have, what we need, and how long it will take

to get to where we need to go. It was great talking to him. He

reminds me so much of Hayden Fry. After talking to him for about

10 minutes I truly believe he has what it takes to get the

players up for the games and getting that 110% out of them. I

truly believe we will be able to see a great difference in the

team, maybe not in wins at first, but in attitude and output.

He will truly impress anyone he talks to and he is great for

the perception of NORTH TEXAS FOOTBALL.

• Upvote 3

Good to hear. We just need to put him in front of as many luke warm students and fans as possible.

• Upvote 1

I was at the Rangers game and got to go to the suite and

meet Coach. He is great and has great plans for North Texas.

He knows what we have, what we need, and how long it will take

to get to where we need to go. It was great talking to him. He

reminds me so much of Hayden Fry. After talking to him for about

10 minutes I truly believe he has what it takes to get the

players up for the games and getting that 110% out of them. I

truly believe we will be able to see a great difference in the

team, maybe not in wins at first, but in attitude and output.

He will truly impress anyone he talks to and he is great for

the perception of NORTH TEXAS FOOTBALL.

So just how long does he think it will take us to get to where we need to go? I think it will take 4 years to compete again for a Sun Belt Championship and 6-7 years before we can get a top 25 ranking.

Edited by GreenFlag
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Personally, I think UNT will be competing for a Sunbelt crown within 3 years...not 4. The top 25 ranking...6-7 seems about right, would like to see it in 5-6. Heck, I'd like to see it next season...well how about 2011, but just might take Coach McCarney a bit longer than that to turn the ship around.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Personally, I think UNT will be competing for a Sunbelt crown within 3 years...not 4. The top 25 ranking...6-7 seems about right, would like to see it in 5-6. Heck, I'd like to see it next season...well how about 2011, but just might take Coach McCarney a bit longer than that to turn the ship around.

GO MEAN GREEN!

I tend to agree with your first opinion. I do believe it will be in his third year that we will be ready to make a run at the SBC title. His system will take time to get going, just like it did at Iowa State, but it won't take five years here, since we are not playing in one of the best conferences on the planet.

As for a ranking, though, I wouldn't put any expectation there. No SBC school has ever been ranked and the conference is going into its eleventh year of FBS football. We had some solid teams in our championship run that never got ranked, just like Troy has as well. For an SBC team to get ranked, it can only lose 3 games or less, while beating a "name" school, during that season. Since we all have to play money games each year, the opportunity is there for a big win, but the reality is that you usually have 2-4 losses in OOC play because of the strength of the teams that we play. When you factor in the balance that the SBC has generally shown over the last 6 seasons, an undefeated league team seems difficult, too, which really hurts a team trying to be ranked at some point during the season.

It might only take another year or two to make a run at the Sun Belt. In terms of talent there isn't as much of a gap between teams in the Sun Belt as there is in say the Big 12.

I look at FIU and Cristobal and it took him 4 years to get to the top of the SBC. Troy and MUTS won't drop easily, and I expect that FIU has replaced FAU as part of the Big Three in the SBC for this season ahead, at least. In my opinion, we just need to get out of the bottom third of SBC teams this season. If we do that, that is marked progress from the last 6 years. I just don't think we have the line size, particulary on the defensive side, to compete for a SBC crown this season. And it sounds as if Coach Mac probably thinks that size/talent on the lines will be the biggest issue this upcoming season, as well.

I look at FIU and Cristobal and it took him 4 years to get to the top of the SBC. Troy and MUTS won't drop easily, and I expect that FIU has replaced FAU as part of the Big Three in the SBC for this season ahead, at least. In my opinion, we just need to get out of the bottom third of SBC teams this season. If we do that, that is marked progress from the last 6 years. I just don't think we have the line size, particulary on the defensive side, to compete for a SBC crown this season. And it sounds as if Coach Mac probably thinks that size/talent on the lines will be the biggest issue this upcoming season, as well.

That is what I based my projection on. Cristobal recruited well for quite some time before it payed off. Stock at MUTS did well his first season after replacing Andy Mac but Andy Mac could recruit, just couldn't coach/manage. We aren't going to get where we want to be any time soon. I think some folks on this board greatly under estimate the better programs in the Sun Belt. It is going to take some time to first be competitive and then be better.

I think some folks on this board greatly under estimate the better programs in the Sun Belt. It is going to take some time to first be competitive and then be better.

I don't know. We only lost to ULL by 1, ASU by 5, Troy by 6 and ULM by 12. FIU is the only team that really handled us in conference and they beat us by 24. I just don't think it will take that long to turn it around. This year could be a surprise, but realistically, I would think we are very competitive next year and a consistently strong program in year 4.

• Upvote 2