Texas A Top College Basketball State?

Top 5 basketball states & their top 5 programs

TEXAS

1. Texas: Rick Barnes has guided the Longhorns to a school-record 13 consecutive NCAA tournaments.

2. Baylor: The Bears went from the cusp of the “death penalty” to the Elite Eight in less than a decade. Next season’s team should be Scott Drew’s best.

3. Texas A&M: First Billy Gillispie and now Mark Turgeon. Someone in College Station has an eye for coaches.

4. UTEP: Tim Floyd will keep the Miners where they’ve been for years now – near the top of the C-USA standings.

5. Texas Tech: It won’t be long until the Red Raiders are back in the NCAA tournament.

Hmmm. #5 is intriguing. Perception is reality? The score says no.

• Upvote 2

What a slap in the face to UNT and the Sun Belt. This guy is a Billy Gillispie homer or something. He doesn't even give respect to a program that's already been resurrected by a quality coach at UNT.

I'll say on thing for Pat Knight, he told the truth about no other Big XII team playing UNT their second game of the year. Maybe K-State or KSU, but I doubt KSU will play us or Mr. Mitchell's mom might walk up to coach Martin a slap him in the face, LOL!!!

• Upvote 2

Yeah, but compare the two lists. The Texas list is a whole lot stronger than the Florida list.

Agreed and guys....zero reason to get all pissy about this. Those teams on that list are very good (with the exception of Tech last year)....and honestly....6 out of 10 times we wouldn't have won that game this year (just my prediction). Once we got to overtime we flushed em down the toilet but lets not pretend for a second that the Tech game did not come down to the wire and was forced into overtime by a fantastic shot by Josh. I am sure the writer has a hard time not remembering all the traditional accomplishments that Tech has had in the past and quite recently in favor of a school that is just now trying to make (and hopefully successfully) a name for itself in the college basketball world.

All about UNT...give me a break. We beat TT heads up!!! If we hadn't come back in second half based on our senior laden team most UNT faithful would have been throwing pitchforks at JJ around campus. At that point in the season I believe UNT would have won a best of 10 series. You'll have to decide was UNT that good at that point in the season? My take is yes...can't have it both ways. Even with all the injuries to our team the SBC ref's had to give the championship game to ULAR. TT was the worst Big XII team in the league. No way they deserved to be mentioned on the same sentence with the other 4 Texas schools.

Agreed and guys....zero reason to get all pissy about this. Those teams on that list are very good (with the exception of Tech last year)....and honestly....6 out of 10 times we wouldn't have won that game this year (just my prediction). Once we got to overtime we flushed em down the toilet but lets not pretend for a second that the Tech game did not come down to the wire and was forced into overtime by a fantastic shot by Josh. I am sure the writer has a hard time not remembering all the traditional accomplishments that Tech has had in the past and quite recently in favor of a school that is just now trying to make (and hopefully successfully) a name for itself in the college basketball world.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I can understand why yall are crying about not being on the top 5 list but in reality All about Unt is right, I dont think right now we are a top 5 team in the state. Once the players are on the court and beating top teams and not going .500 in the sun belt, then we have something to complain about. Im pretty sure all of those teams have gone past the first round in the tournament, I know we have a great class coming in but it doesnt matter whats on paper its what we do on the court that matters.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

All about UNT...give me a break. We beat TT heads up!!! If we hadn't come back in second half based on our senior laden team most UNT faithful would have been throwing pitchforks at JJ around campus. At that point in the season I believe UNT would have won a best of 10 series. You'll have to decide was UNT that good at that point in the season? My take is yes...can't have it both ways. Even with all the injuries to our team the SBC ref's had to give the championship game to ULAR. TT was the worst Big XII team in the league. No way they deserved to be mentioned on the same sentence with the other 4 Texas schools.

Mike...I am not here to argue. The article was entitled Top 5 Programs in the State. Now I agree that our team bested Texas Tech last year but they did not do it "heads up". Josh White forced it into Overtime with 3 seconds left. That is not heads up. Again...in Overtime we dominated and excelled at every angle playing to win. That is besides the point since the article did not say "The Top 5 Texas Teams of 2010-2011" it was referring to programs. Now will I be pissed if we aren't on that list in 2 yrs? Hell yeah I will be.

Mike...I am not here to argue. The article was entitled Top 5 Programs in the State. Now I agree that our team bested Texas Tech last year but they did not do it "heads up". Josh White forced it into Overtime with 3 seconds left. That is not heads up. Again...in Overtime we dominated and excelled at every angle playing to win. That is besides the point since the article did not say "The Top 5 Texas Teams of 2010-2011" it was referring to programs. Now will I be pissed if we aren't on that list in 2 yrs? Hell yeah I will be.

I assumed "heads-up" meant "head-to-head."

• Upvote 2

Top 5 basketball states & their top 5 programs

TEXAS

1. Texas: Rick Barnes has guided the Longhorns to a school-record 13 consecutive NCAA tournaments.

2. Baylor: The Bears went from the cusp of the “death penalty” to the Elite Eight in less than a decade. Next season’s team should be Scott Drew’s best.

3. Texas A&M: First Billy Gillispie and now Mark Turgeon. Someone in College Station has an eye for coaches.

4. UTEP: Tim Floyd will keep the Miners where they’ve been for years now – near the top of the C-USA standings.

5. Texas Tech: It won’t be long until the Red Raiders are back in the NCAA tournament.

Hmmm. #5 is intriguing. Perception is reality? The score says no.

This obviously isn't "Top 5 2011 teams" it's the "Top 5 programs."

Look how UNT stacks up against these five:

Regular season conference titles:

1. Texas: 25

2. Texas Tech: 13

3. Texas A&M: 11

4. UTEP: 9

5. North Texas: 7

6. Baylor: 5

Conference tournament titles:

T-1. Texas Tech: 5

T-1. UTEP: 5

3. North Texas: 3

T-4. Texas: 2

T-4. Texas A&M: 2

6. Baylor

NCAA Tournament appearances:

1. Texas: 29

2. UTEP: 17

3. Texas A&M: 12

4. Texas Tech: 10

5. Baylor: 6

6. North Texas: 3

NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 appearances:

1. Texas: 13

2. Texas Tech: 5

3. UTEP: 4

4. Texas A&M: 2

5. Baylor: 1

6. North Texas: 0

NCAA Tournament Elite 8 appearances:

1. Texas: 7

2. Baylor: 1

T-3. North Texas: 0

T-3. Texas A&M: 0

T-3. Texas Tech: 0

T-3. UTEP: 0

NCAA Tournament Final 4 appearances:

1. Texas: 3

2. Baylor: 2

3. UTEP: 1

T-4. North Texas: 0

T-4. Texas A&M: 0

T-4: Texas Tech: 0

NCAA Tournament winner:

1. UTEP: 1

T-2. Baylor

T-2. North Texas: 0

T-2. Texas: 0

T-2. Texas A&M: 0

T-2. Texas Tech: 0

Somebody's got their guns up.... take it to the Tech board.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And UTEP would be #1 (at least in my view...you could definitely make the case for Texas, but no one else). Also, in the rundown of Elite 8's/Final Fours/etc somehow UTEP was given credit for the National Title, but not for the Elite 8 it has advanced to.

Edited by CMJ