Sunbelt Might Add 11Th School For Football

NT03

I'd honestly rather see the conference bring in Texas State-San Marcos for all sports and NMSU for football only. Bringing in La. Tech is redundant with ULM, not to mention all of the bad history and they don't really bring anything. Do we really need three Louisiana schools? The Bobcats have shown they're dedicated to moving to the next level by having completed the first phase of their stadium project with more planned, and they hired a coach that a lot of our alums seemed to like as a choice here before Coach Mac was hired. San Marcos is also a nice destination for a game with Austin only being a skip away.

West

North Texas

Texas State-San Marcos

Louisiana-Monroe

Louisiana-Lafayette

Arkansas State

New Mexico State*

Arkansas-Little Rock**

East

Western Kentucky

Middle Tennessee State

Troy

Florida International

Florida Atlantic

South Alabama

*Football only

**All sports (non-football)

Edited by ColoradoEagle

Adding LaTech would be good for both the Sun Belt and Tech. Not because Tech is such a great powerhouse in any sports or that it is such a prestigious school but because they have bad mouthed the Belt so bad over the years that like it or not they will help increase attendance at all member games. Basketball and football. That means increased revenue which can be put into upgrading facilities for everyone and packed stadiums attract better recruits. Think a football game between Monroe and Tech won't be a sellout every year?

Texas State@ San Marcos is also a viable choice. Not only are they very committed to moving up but they would be easier to get to for most Sun Belt schools. Fly into San Antonio and bus up to San Marcos. Plus San Marcos is far more appealing then Ruston.

Tough choice.

Number 1, I don't how anyone could interpret the school as being anyone but La Tech. Surely, the IQ of their fan base is above the delusional myopic people who dominate their message board. Their AD would be remiss in his duties if he did not at least investigate membership in the Belt. I would oppose their membership because I don't think the Belt needs two marginal members in North Louisiana. I think their membership in the Belt much like UTSA and TSSM would give them a leg up in their programs. Although, La Tech has continually kicked NT's arse in football recruiting; I think that will quickly end especially if they are stuck in the WAC. La Tech is at a cross roads and although the majority of the fan base expresses horror at joining the Belt, the facts align more with it could be the lifeline they need to stay competitive. It is not that La Tech is not Belt worthy, the facts are they based on history would be in the top quarter, but look a little deeper. I think there are a number of programs in the Belt that have brighter prospects including NT. FAU, FIU, WKU, MTSU are all rising programs. I don't think La Tech adds anymore than ASU or ULL. I am not a fan of Troy, but they do win. USA is an unknown in football but so far so good.

I am not totally opposed to La Tech, it would be a closer game and would almost be the end of the WAC if they join. I do believe if the Belt takes La Tech, they should just go ahead and get NMSU and kill the WAC for all practical purposes

i prefer the suckbelt invite tulane. then north texas can take their spot in cusa and get the heck out of this low rent district. we need to move up the food chain, not make it longer.

And i'm sure Tulane is just dying for that sunbelt invite :rolleyes:

If Tech asked they would almost certainly be invited. Unless there is a major change there or ULM leaves, they aren't asking.

Take a gander at Sagarin.

Of returning WAC schools, the highest rated is below two Sun Belt teams. They are losing three top 50 programs and bringing in the second lowest rated Southland school and a school that has never snapped the ball.

Look at the RPI. Outside of an outstanding USU program, the WAC is no big prize over the Sun Belt and one of their prize additions our 8th rated team.

Women's basketball? Sun Belt put two in the dance, same as the WAC. Tech is rated a little above MTSU and UALR is rated 46 to Fresno's 45 and Fresno is leaving.

Volleyball? Western schools are good but the Sun Belt has been a two bid league the last four years.

There is also a sport called baseball. Sun Belt is 6th in RPI WAC 17th, the Sun Belt has had multiple teams invited in baseball for 22 consecutive seasons.

Hard to see where the Sun Belt / Suck Belt talk comes from when the pesky facts don't back that up if the comparison point is the WAC.

Right now the only bowl they are firmly with is Boise and scuttlebutt is that Boise will pull the plug after this year.

While the new rule changes have saved the WAC's auto bid in other sports, the changes still leaves the league one short of conference status in football. That means a BCS payment of $100,000 per team ($700,000) rather than the guaranteed minimum of about $1.8 million. It also means that unless the WAC champ finishes ranked #1 or #2 they don't have to be selected by a BCS game because they go into the at-large pool.

I don't know why "fans" trash the best league willing to have their school as a member but given the list willing to invite the school, the Sun Belt is pretty clear winner.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Tulane/N.O. would be fun, but aren't they extremely similar to a certain private school in Dallas that most here loathe beyond the devil himself? Why would we welcome that into our happy SBC home?

LA Tech seems like a good choice to me, but I'd love to see NMSU back in the fold as well.

nmsu has big financial problems. the state has mandated cuts that really effect the athletic department, so unless they can save big money by returning to the belt i don't see it happening. they may even have to drop down. la tech brings nothing to the table. they are a small school in a rural market that is already covered by la monroe. also the louisiana schools have financial prblems simular to nmsu. if we are going to add an existing division 1 football program i would assume it would be in a market we don't have a presence in. the only attraction for these 2 schools that i can see is that it would allow the belt to have east/west divisions that actually make some sense, and kill the wac. otherwise, i don't have a clue who/if a 11th school would be. perhaps we should think outside the box instead of focusing on the usual suspects. just an old mans opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is a dream come true.

LA Tech is the logical choice, but the SBC is in the drivers seat and can use NMSU for the 11th spot to play LA Tech vs. Texas State vs. UTSA for the 12th spot.

LA Tech has been able to stay in the WAC since the last round of expansion because of the unequal payments and BCS cash. The new WAC is not economically viable for LA Tech. A 12 teams Sun Belt would be a huge financial boost to LA Tech with all divisional games with in a few hours drive.

Edited by shaft
  • Upvote 2

This is not the same Sun Belt they didn't want to join a few years ago.

New stadiums under construction, consistent multiple bowl appearances by league members and wins. Still no top 25 team but that has to end sometime, right!

They might be able to sell to their fans that the startup league is indeed a league on the rise. Really how much difference is there in CUSA and the SBC right now? It is still a notch below but not the gap it use to be. Throw in CUSA instability with Memphis, UCF targets for Big East and continually disgruntled East Carolina and Marshall and I think the gap creeps closer. I predict CUSA to make some moves in the coming years to stay ahead of an emerging Sun Belt. This is the next MWC/WAC shuffle, just watch.

Back to La Tech, not a bad place to hang out for awhile and compete for the CUSA reconfiguration to come.

GMG

CUSA had two teams in the NCAA tournament where we've had one most years since UNT joined. They appeared in six bowl games last year where the SBC was in three. CUSA schools average just a hair less than 10k per football game more than SBC schools. They average almost 3k more per basketball game than the SBC; 2k more if you remove Memphis from the equation. They just got a $43 million contract with FSN, and I can't find any information about how much the SBC's is currently worth.

The SBC is coming along, especially in facilities, but the conference as a whole is not on the same level as CUSA. Now if you're talking strictly perception, I doubt your average joe sees much of any difference between CUSA and SBC, since most average joes are all about the big six conferences.

The main problem with the SBC is there are certain schools that underfund their programs either by choice or by lack of options. The smallest athletic budget at any CUSA school is $19.5m at Southern Miss. The smallest in the SBC are Louisiana-Monroe at $10.7 million, Louisiana-Lafayette at $12.3m and Arkansas State at $13.3m. We've been at about $17 million, and next year I'd imagine it'll be $24-25 million. You basically have NT, WKU, MTSU, FAU, and FIU pumping cash into athletics (all spending in the low to mid $20m range), and then it falls off a cliff from there.

Edit: Another thought is that the SBC is barely on TV compared with CUSA. An SBC basketball or football game on ESPN is an event, because it doesn't happen but half a dozen times a year for both sports combined. Hopefully that changes as ESPN attempts to put the screws to CUSA and the MWC via the SBC and MAC (or maybe WAC still instead of MAC?). Good timing on our contract being up for re-negotiation. It'd be great to see one of our games this year on ESPN2 or ESPNU. Bet that stadium is gonna look as amazing on TV as in person. :D

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

CUSA had two teams in the NCAA tournament where we've had one most years since UNT joined. They appeared in six bowl games last year where the SBC was in three. CUSA schools average just a hair less than 10k per football game more than SBC schools. They average almost 3k more per basketball game than the SBC; 2k more if you remove Memphis from the equation. They just got a $43 million contract with FSN, and I can't find any information about how much the SBC's is currently worth.

The SBC is coming along, especially in facilities, but the conference as a whole is not on the same level as CUSA. Now if you're talking strictly perception, I doubt your average joe sees much of any difference between CUSA and SBC, since most average joes are all about the big six conferences.

The main problem with the SBC is there are certain schools that underfund their programs either by choice or by lack of options. The smallest athletic budget at any CUSA school is $19.5m at Southern Miss. The smallest in the SBC are Louisiana-Monroe at $10.7 million, Louisiana-Lafayette at $12.3m and Arkansas State at $13.3m. We've been at about $17 million, and next year I'd imagine it'll be $24-25 million. You basically have NT, WKU, MTSU, FAU, and FIU pumping cash into athletics (all spending in the low to mid $20m range), and then it falls off a cliff from there.

Edit: Another thought is that the SBC is barely on TV compared with CUSA. An SBC basketball or football game on ESPN is an event, because it doesn't happen but half a dozen times a year for both sports combined. Hopefully that changes as ESPN attempts to put the screws to CUSA and the MWC via the SBC and MAC (or maybe WAC still instead of MAC?). Good timing on our contract being up for re-negotiation. It'd be great to see one of our games this year on ESPN2 or ESPNU. Bet that stadium is gonna look as amazing on TV as in person. :D

With 'Nova likely joining Big East for football it isn't very likely that the Big East makes any other moves in the next two years so C-USA is unlikely to make any moves.

Arkansas State, athletic fee just got bumped and football ticket sales are already about 20X over last year (I suspect a high early renewal rate is a big factor) but I know donations are up significantly as a number of people (me included) have doubled their donations to show approval of the Freeze hire.

if you brouse nmsu and la tech's fan forums you will see little if any interest in moving back to the belt. if texas state is not our target, then i don't know who is, assuming the belt is not taking a 1aa moving up. if they are, and want to grow southeast, then there are several opportunities.

Fans don't decide who goes where. If ESPN is willing to offer the WAC $1 million for broadcast rights with their new setup, but is willing to give the Sun Belt a $15 million deal for going to 12 teams, all of the sudden the SBC has a lot bigger carrot for those eastern WAC teams.

That's not to mention the bowls backing out of WAC affiliation, the fact that they will not be an FBS conference in 2015 unless they find another football member, and the disjointed nature of the league that includes all previous Sun Belt or Southland schools outside of SJSU.

Gotta look pretty tempting if you're La Tech or TSUSM.

400pxwaclocations.png

Edited by ColoradoEagle

Fans don't decide who goes where. If ESPN is willing to offer the WAC $1 million for broadcast rights with their new setup, but is willing to give the Sun Belt a $15 million deal for going to 12 teams, all of the sudden the SBC has a lot bigger carrot for those eastern WAC teams.

That's not to mention the bowls backing out of WAC affiliation, the fact that they will not be an FBS conference in 2015 unless they find another football member, and the disjointed nature of the league that includes all previous Sun Belt or Southland schools outside of SJSU.

Is this being discussed somewhere, or is this a hypothetical? I've completely missed this if it is indeed a real possibility.

Is this being discussed somewhere, or is this a hypothetical? I've completely missed this if it is indeed a real possibility.

Just hypothetical, but at this point you find out if Wright Waters is worth his salt or not. In 2005, ESPN gave CUSA a five year deal for $21.9 million. Obviously now CUSA is gone to Fox Sports, and ESPN needs to fill those timeslots. I wouldn't expect the SBC to get the same amount as even six years ago, but we'll see what happens. Mainly saying you never know what's going on behind closed doors, especially when there's a content provider like ESPN who suddenly has no content for substantial chunks of their schedule.

As far as the WAC going from $4 million to $1 million, that seems almost certain.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

Gotta look pretty tempting if you're La Tech or TSUSM.

400pxwaclocations.png

they can if there are big money contributors who are opposed to la tech returning to belt and are threatening to withhold contributions. just saying.

Mainly saying you never know what's going on behind closed doors, especially when there's a content provider like ESPN who suddenly has no content for substantial chunks of their schedule.

On that note, ESPN just lost cable rights for the Big 12 to FSN.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=205135947

Edited by ColoradoEagle

On that note, ESPN just lost cable rights for the Big 12 to FSN.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=205135947

ESPN never had the conference rights for Big 12 football. Fox has always held the tier 2 rights to the Big 12. ESPN did show a few Big 12 games (usually 3rd best game of week), but with new deal and Fox starting to use FX to show games I doubt ESPN will ever have a Big 12 game again.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Pac-12. I'm hearing Comcast/NBC and Fox are leading bidders. Pac-12 will probably have best deal of any of leagues.

College football is a hot property right now and other groups are starting to show interest in football. ESPN won't have the monopoly on college football any more. That might open up some spots for the Sun Belt to show some games on ESPN.