Womens Basketball Coaching Search

DeepGreen

Blakeley recruited Spud Webb to UNT, or NTSU at that time. Tommy Newman :growl: pulled Webb's ship saying Webb didn't fit Newman offense/defensive scheme. Blakeley picked up the phone...called Jim Valvano (sp) at NC State...and the rest is history. NC State defeated Phi, Slama, Jama for the National Championship!!!! :sword:

Blakeley recruited Spud Webb to UNT, or NTSU at that time. Tommy Newman :growl: pulled Webb's ship saying Webb didn't fit Newman offense/defensive scheme. Blakeley picked up the phone...called Jim Valvano (sp) at NC State...and the rest is history. NC State defeated Phi, Slama, Jama for the National Championship!!!! :sword:

reference this here Spud Webb Story

the article also says that Coach Blakeley became his agent once he went pro?

Firing the Walrus was the worst thing ever for MBB at NT.

Liking the newest name be floating. Wilbers has AR Tech into Elite Eight again in his 3rd season, was successful Asst at ORU and also was at Mizzou.

Without our previous leader around he might actually have a chance if he were to apply.

Edited by untbowler

Firing the Walrus was the worst thing ever for MBB at NT.

Not even close, Blakeley lived on Robbins/Tubbs recruits and once their eligibility was up; NT's record plummeted. Blakeley was colorful and coached an exciting brand of ball, but like many before him and after him; he just could not get the players he needed at NT. I liked Bill, he was a quite a showman. He as so often the case, more or less terminated himself as he went very public with his complaints about NT and in particular their lack of recruiting funds. You may get by publicly complaining about your situation a la Dickey while you are winning but few last long once the losing starts. Blakeley was basically a .500 coach with his own recruits. He was much better than his replacement, but it was time for him to go. I do believe Blakeley's plight had a lot to do with inadequate resources both legal and otherwise. I know he had recruited both Terry Teagle and Vinnie Johnson to NT before Baylor came in at the last minute apparently with some inducements NT couldn't match. As corupt as recruiting is these days, I believe it was worse back in the seventies.

As far as the worst thing that ever happened to MBB at NT, I would nominate Vic Trilli.

• Upvote 1

As far as the worst thing that ever happened to MBB at NT, I would nominate Vic Trilli.

Truer words have never been posted on this board. Dude had some fire in his belly, but couldn't outcoach your pedestrian YMCA youth league coach. Loved the green seats and the painting he did at the Pit, but as far as Xs and Os went, just amazingly bad.

Agree....but, please don't give Trilli credit for the green seats. That was an idea hatched by, I believe, the one and only greenjoe. If you look around the Super Pit wall inside you will find a plaque with the names of folks who donated money to get those seats replaced. Lots of folks donated to get rid of the orange "fire in the eagle's eyes" seats that were installed when the place was built. Check out the plaque and you'll see quite a few familiar names I would imagine.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Agree....but, please don't give Trilli credit for the green seats. That was an idea hatched by, I believe, the one and only greenjoe. If you look around the Super Pit wall inside you will find a plaque with the names of folks who donated money to get those seats replaced. Lots of folks donated to get rid of the orange "fire in the eagle's eyes" seats that were installed when the place was built. Check out the plaque and you'll see quite a few familiar names I would imagine.

No, let's do give Trilli credit for the green seats. People had griped about the orange seats for years.....but it wasn't until Vic got to Denton that anything was done. Joe and I were both on the green seat committee, but the credit rightfully belongs to Vic....on this.

• Upvote 2

No, let's do give Trilli credit for the green seats. People had griped about the orange seats for years.....but it wasn't until Vic got to Denton that anything was done. Joe and I were both on the green seat committee, but the credit rightfully belongs to Vic....on this.

OK, you guys were there on the committee so I bow to your first hand knowledge. :bow: Didn't think Trilli had much to do with it...thought the idea came from you guys. I liked Trilli...not Trilli the coach, but Trilli the person. Very friendly and nice every time I had the chance to talk with him. He did have a passion for the game, but just couldn't seem to translate the passion to on-court performance. Still, recall some memorable wins from some of his teams while the program was under his watch...just not enough.

How about a winning Head Coach? Currently a 1 seed in NCAA Div II tournament.

http://athletics.atu.edu/co-bballw.htm

I have my reservations concerning Dave Wilbers.

His success appears to be based on the ability of his assistant coach from Brazil to recruit star Brazilian players to play juco ball. I think the junior college recruiting restrictions are significantly less strict and most of those Brazilian players may not pass the NCAA clearinghouse.

His success appears to be based on the ability of his assistant coach from Brazil to recruit star Brazilian players to play juco ball. I think the junior college recruiting restrictions are significantly less strict and most of those Brazilian players may not pass the NCAA clearinghouse.

Only one Brazilian plays significant minutes of 3 on the team.

I'm in favor of recruiting a Brazilian, especially if she is from Ipanema.

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 1

D2, not Juco.

He's also had some success getting dissatisfied major D1 players to transfer in. The star of his team this year was a guard who transferred from OU.

He was an Asst also at ORU when they made a few NCAA Tournaments and was a Asst at Mizzou so he is qualified and fairly young at 43 y.o.

May not be the top choice but would figure he is somewhere on the list depending on interest of others. Either way with signing day a month away we need a coach in place.