Womens Basketball Coaching Search

DeepGreen

Any ideas on who to look at for the womens BB head coaching job? Any up and coming head coaches from lower conference programs or up and coming assistants from established? I know of ex-UTA Donna Capps, but who else should we talk to? I just hope we get someone from a "winning program". <_<

How about a winning Head Coach? Currently a 1 seed in NCAA Div II tournament.

http://athletics.atu.edu/co-bballw.htm

I'm game. Pay him AND HIS STAFF right! It might work. I wonder what things will hit him harder in Div I (politics?) than II. I guess this would mean no more stilleto heels though.:lol:

Edited by OzarkEagle
  • Upvote 1

Bill Brock would be an excellent choice.

Brock does seem to have all the qualifications that North Texas could possibly want. I see that as a solid hire.

A candidate that I would see as the possible home-run, but also possible catastrophe, is the basketball legend Nancy Lieberman. She expressed interest after Tina Slinker was released and could be an option this time.

Possibly the best available candidate is Pokey Chatman who is now coaching the WNBA Chicago Sky. She's proven at LSU that she's an excellent coach, resigned among allegations that she had an inappropriate relationship with a former player, and has rebuilt her career coaching in Europe and in the WNBA. Both Rick Villarreal and Johnny Jones know Coach Chatman well from the time that they spent working with her at LSU.

Brock does seem to have all the qualifications that North Texas could possibly want. I see that as a solid hire.

A candidate that I would see as the possible home-run, but also possible catastrophe, is the basketball legend Nancy Lieberman. She expressed interest after Tina Slinker was released and could be an option this time.

Possibly the best available candidate is Pokey Chatman who is now coaching the WNBA Chicago Sky. She's proven at LSU that she's an excellent coach, resigned among allegations that she had an inappropriate relationship with a former player, and has rebuilt her career coaching in Europe and in the WNBA. Both Rick Villarreal and Johnny Jones know Coach Chatman well from the time that they spent working with her at LSU.

Don't hold your breath on Pokey...she makes over 400k a year and that would be one heck of a decrease in pay. I kinda like the Beth Jillson (TWU) idea and the extra perk is that her husband coaches Cornerbacks at Denton Guyer. We could ALWAYS use a connection on a team like Guyer (not that we don't have any currently).

Beth beat a Stephen's coached team and now we're ready to hire her? I think we can do a lot better than Jillson.

Good point. Blakely was replaced by the TWU coach the year after we lost to them and that was a disaster. That replacement was Tommy Newman.

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 1

Blakeley was NOT replaced by a TWU coach. He was replaced by Tommy Newman, who was the head coach at TWC (Texas Wesleyan College in Fort Worth). TWC did, in fact, beat Blakeley the year prior to Newman coming to Denton. Newman's teams were so boring to watch that attendance plummeted and then Gales was hired. He took the team to our first NCAA tournament appearance with some of Newman's recruits.

Don't think Lieberman would be interested, she's currently coaching the Texas Legends:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/texas/roster/

• Upvote 1

Blakeley was NOT replaced by a TWU coach. He was replaced by Tommy Newman, who was the head coach at TWC (Texas Wesleyan College in Fort Worth). TWC did, in fact, beat Blakeley the year prior to Newman coming to Denton. Newman's teams were so boring to watch that attendance plummeted and then Gales was hired. He took the team to our first NCAA tournament appearance with some of Newman's recruits.

TWC is currently TWU. I am fully aware of what happened, I was there to watch.

In addition, you have no sense of humor.

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 1