Unt Wants Nit But Not Cbi Or Cit

chrisfisher

I kind of suspected this. There were rumors that I read on a couple of SBC forums 2 years ago when we lost to WKU in the semis, but were starting to play really well, that we made it clear through back channels we weren't interested in the CBI/CIT.

Well, there are a few scenarios that I can think this means.

1. We don't wanna pay to play.

2. The Seniors had their heart set on the NCAA's and after playing in them last season wouldn't want to participate in a lesser tournament.

3. Jones is old school and doesn't really recognize the CBI or CIT as legitimate.

Maybe some sort of combo of these.

Well, there are a few scenarios that I can think this means.

1. We don't wanna pay to play.

2. The Seniors had their heart set on the NCAA's and after playing in them last season wouldn't want to participate in a lesser tournament.

3. Jones is old school and doesn't really recognize the CBI or CIT as legitimate.

Maybe some sort of combo of these.

All three of those are fine by me. Especially numbers one and three.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

All three of those are fine by me. Especially numbers one and three.

They're fine by me to. I do respect the NIT a ton and would be honored to play in that tournament (I mean up until the mid to late 50's the NIT was arguably more prestigious). While I appreciate what the CBI and CIT(especially the CIT with their emphasis on non Big 6 schools) are trying to do by giving more schools a chance at postseason, they're not somewhere that this team should play. Maybe NEXT years team, with all that youth, would get a lot out of either the CBI or CIT. This years team, I just don't think the guys would have their hearts in it.

It would be awesome if Houston Baptist is able to get in the CIT. The Great West Tourny gets a auto bid. They are currently in OT in the quarterfinal game vs North Dakota.

I of course just jinxed them , lost on a last second shot

Edited by NT03

I think playing in the post season every year should be the goal, even if we have to pay our way in to either the CBI, or CIT. We have a very good team, and could probably do some damage in one of these tournaments. Maybe I'm just not back to thinking straight quite yet (when it comes to UNT basketball), but not pursuing one of these tournaments is very disappointing. There are lots of good programs that play in these.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think playing in the post season every year should be the goal, even if we have to pay our way in to either the CBI, or CIT. We have a very good team, and could probably do some damage in one of these tournaments. Maybe I'm just not back to thinking straight quite yet (when it comes to UNT basketball), but not pursuing one of these tournaments is very disappointing. There are lots of good programs that play in these.

I'm sorry, I just don't agree. NCAA or Bust. Maybe the NIT. It just doesn't make any sense with seniors to play in the CBI or CIT. And I don't really think the guys want to play in that.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm sorry, I just don't agree. NCAA or Bust. Maybe the NIT. It just doesn't make any sense with seniors to play in the CBI or CIT. And I don't really think the guys want to play in that.

I understand that viewpoint. The fact that we have a lot of seniors is probably the best argument against it. Plenty of programs though do not look down on these tournaments the way we apparently do. Lots of good teams and good programs participate in them. I may be in the minority here, I just don't get the NCAA or bust mentality. I see postseason play in any form good for the fans and the program, especially in a year when we could do well. UTEP and Tulsa have both made the finals of the CBI.

• Downvote 1

If the BlackHole or Alzee were healthy I might maybe possibly be interested... but with a group pf players with nothing to gain from the pay in game I'd pass. Say the team comes out still dejected from the loss and lays a flat egg like they did for most of conference? Then how do we feel? There are no assurances we get the fired up, never say die, group that nutted up those 3.5 games in 4 nights. They really saved the face of what could have been a disasterous season. I'm fine remembering this season for that.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

If the BlackHole or Alzee were healthy I might maybe possibly be interested... but with a group pf players with nothing to gain from the pay in game I'd pass. Say the team comes out still dejected from the loss and lays a flat egg like they did for most of conference? Then how do we feel? There are no assurances we get the fired up, never say die, group that nutted up those 3.5 games in 4 nights. They really saved the face of what could have been a disasterous season. I'm fine remembering this season for that.

Well put. This is exactly how I feel. It will be a long, long time, maybe never, before I forget about this team and the incredible tournament performance and the way it ended. I'm fine remembering that legacy, because I went to watch them play in the NCAA tourney last year. I don't need them to play another game for me to remember what an incredible group of guys we had/have on this team.

• Upvote 1

Um...no

Uh, I really don't get the justification as to why we should think we are somehow "above" playing in one of these tourneys, since we just lost the SBC tourney, and could possibly play against someone like Air Force or SMU in the first round. I kind of look at it as a chance at redemption after screwing up late in the SBC regular season, and losing a very tough one against Little Rock. If someone has a legitimate reason other than a little money as to why these tourneys should be avoided, I would love to hear it. Winning a tournament of any kind would be special, since those titles really haven't been growing on trees around here in our long history of playing college basketball. Just don't get how we could turn down any opportunity at this point in time.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

If the kids didn't have their heart into it, which I suspect to be the case, and we got run our of the gym at some school that did care. Well, that would kind of sour the end of season run a bit. As a team full of seniors who just went to the NCAA's last year, I really doubt they'd get up for one of the new fangled tourneys. If we had mostly underclassmen who had never played postseason ball, they'd be more likely to be excited, and I'd be all for it.

I know a similar argument could be made against the NIT, but that tournament has a long and distinguished history. The CBI is basically a 3 year old money grab (tho yes I have watched some of it all of those years). The CIT at least takes all mid majors, and not Big 6 schools with long records like the CBI has. Still tho, I'd want to make sure we really were in it to win it - before accepting.

• Upvote 1

If we didn't have bad losses to Troy & ULM and were sitting at 24 - 9 I might be getting my hopes up for a NIT bid , but I just don't see it happening. If the kids want to play in the CTI or CBI you do everything possible to make that happen , but if they don't thats their choice and you start to work on next year

If we didn't have bad losses to Troy & ULM and were sitting at 24 - 9 I might be getting my hopes up for a NIT bid , but I just don't see it happening. If the kids want to play in the CTI or CBI you do everything possible to make that happen , but if they don't thats their choice and you start to work on next year

The fact that the best team we beat this year was Florida Atlantic kind of makes me think that we don't have a snowball's chance of going NIT. If the NIT had 64 teams we would have a chance, but I just don't see how the math could possibly work even if the top seed in every conference won their conference and conference tournament and went to the NCAA's. Glad to hear that we think we are so superior to these other teams who are going CIT and such, because I really wasn't aware of it. I know it may be a small factor in the decision making process, but the players and staff do have a small obligation to the fans who have sacrificed a lot of time, energy, and money supporting the team over the past 4 months. Too bad.

Edited by foutsrouts
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I agree a lot with Foutsrouts. This should be as much about the fans as anything. Post season play is fun for the fans, and we have had teams that are good enough to get an invite, especially this year. There are programs with significantly more name recognition than UNT playing in the CBI and CIT every year. Yes, we have a lot of seniors that are certainly disappointed they didn't make the NCAA, but I would be absolutely shocked if they would be against going out there and competing for a championship, even if it is just the CIT.

If the reason behind not going after either is because JJ or the athletic department think we are above it, that is very unfortunate, because plenty of "name" teams participate. Looking at the teams currently in the CIT, not only do I think we would be extended an invite if we were interested, I also think we could do a lot of damage.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Glad to hear that we think we are so superior to these other teams who are going CIT and such, because I really wasn't aware of it.

I read Vito's blog post, and I didn't see any indication that this was part of the reasoning. Actually, it doesn't really say what the reasoning is at all; so I might not feel so free to impute motives to other people.

I know it may be a small factor in the decision making process, but the players and staff do have a small obligation to the fans who have sacrificed a lot of time, energy, and money supporting the team over the past 4 months. Too bad.

How does playing in the CBI/CIT fulfill that obligation?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2