Golf team wins the Belt.

UNT96

Thought I would post this over here because most just check this board.

Mean Green Golf Team Wins Sun Belt Conference Title

NICEVILLE, Fla. (4/23/03)- The North Texas men's golf team captured the 2003 Sun Belt Conference Championship with a final round 296 at Bluewater Bay Golf Course and Resort to win by ten strokes and earn an automatic bid to the NCAA Regional Championship

Mean Green Golf Team Wins Sun Belt Conference Title

NICEVILLE, Fla. (4/23/03)- The North Texas men's golf team captured the 2003 Sun Belt Conference Championship with a final round 296 at Bluewater Bay Golf Course and Resort to win by ten strokes and earn an automatic bid to the NCAA Regional Championship. Senior Brad Besler won the individual crown for the Mean Green while head coach Jim Bob Jackson was named Sun Belt Conference Coach of the Year.

"It was a great win for the guys. They played extremely well right from the start," said Jackson. "Brad played really well and he's been capable of that all year long and he just peaked at the right time for us".

The conference title is the first for North Texas since winning the Big West Championship in 1999 and the individual title by Besler is the first by a Mean Green golfer since Ryan Palmer won the Southland Conference title in 1996.

"The goal was to win the tournament as a team and I was just lucky enough to win. It was a great tournament as a team and it just feel good to win it" said Besler.

Besler was victorious by one stroke over Barrett Jarosch of Denver after shooting a final round 72 to end the tournament at seven-under par 209. Zach Atkinson finished in third place with a three round score of one-under par 215. North Texas also had a top ten finish from Freddy Espericueta as he was five-over par for the tournament to place tied for tenth.

Besler was named to the All-Sun Belt Conference Team for the second straight year while Atkinson earned all-conference honors for the first time. North Texas will move onto the compete in the Central Region Championship for the first time since the 2000 season.

Congrats to Brad for winning the individual title! That is really great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know the last post on this subject was a couple of weeks ago, but I don't remember seeing anything about the Regional NCAA tournament.

When is it scheduled?  or has it passed already?  and if that's the case, how did we do?

GMG!!!!!

UNT finished the first round of the regional in 4th place but fell out of contention after that. We finished in 17th place in the regionals last week. Congrats to the team and Coach Jackson for a great year. It's even more amazing when your home course was the Eagle Point Goat Ranch.

Never played, but Im probably good enough not to have to take potshots at people for no reason.

Well, actually, you took a "potshot" at the golf team for no reason by claiming it is not a sport...which is a little crazy in itself.

UNTLifer, thankfully they hardly use the "goat ranch" for practice. They use the nice courses around the metroplex like Bridlewood in Flower Mound. So I think they are as ready to see that land turned into all it can be as we are. smile.gif

Well, actually, you took a "potshot" at the golf team for no reason by claiming it is not a sport...which is a little crazy in itself.

Alright, I have the Eaglechick covering my back.

Good ol Rudy, you have never played golf but insist it isn't a sport. That isn't shock value, just silly.

well, actually eagle chick, I did not take a potshot at them. I am glad they represented the university. But Golf is not a sport. There is no physical exertion in it. It is very sedentary. And don't try to throw the old, "lets see you carry a golf bag across a course. If that is the only thing that makes it a sport, then carrying my 20-30 pound backpack across campus is a sport too.

And the fact that I have only played golf in my beginners golf course has nothing to do with anything. Brian, by your reasoning, the fact that I have never played chess means that I can not say it is not a sport.

Is racing cars or horses a sport then bro?  wink.gif

That's the way I look at it. I don't think golf is a sport, but it is part of the sports-entertainment industry along with auto racing and ballroom dancing, so if those are going to be classified as sports, then golf better be too.

Once again, it seems the point of my post has been missed. I never said that gold did not require talent, or skill, or practice. I am happy to hear that they represented the university well, even though this university has treated me like crap the past year, but thats another story.

Classifying golf as a sport all depends on which perspective you take. if you look at it from the "entertainment" perspetive, its a sport. If you look at it from a kinesiology perspective, and actual athletic ability, it is not a sport. Sorry, but when I see a pro golfer smoking a cigerette in between putts, that erases any thought in my mind that it is a sport.

As far as car racing, personnally, I view it as a sport. It takes alot of physical strength and stamina to control a race car. Futhermore, one wrong move and you could DIE.